• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

USYD vs UNSW (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
um...i get a bus to the gate of usyd, everyday...where do you get this idea that no buses go directly to usyd??
I've been told that there's essentially no buses, and the buses that do go there come very infrequently.

Also, high school rivalry? What type of sad jerk goes to a high school that has a rivalry with another school? With universities it's understandable. Freaking private schools (I assume).

Lastly, I still haven't decided if I wish to transfer yet. Of course, everything that I've said in this thread still remains.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Getting to USyd is an ass pain. I know one person who gets off at Central and walks there along Broadway, and I know another who gets off at Redfern and has to walk there also. Either way, you've got to walk through a crummy neighbourhood which takes about 10-15 minutes depending on which side of the uni you've got to get to. UNSW has express buses from Central, which also take 15 minutes to get there during peak hour. It all depends on whether you're lazy, and if you like Redfern.
Lol, actually on some bad days, it's hard to get back to Central from UNSW since you need to wait for buses, of course this is an exception if you always leave and arrive at UNSW during Peak Hours. My longest wait was about 29 minutes.

But, campus-wise, UNSW does inject alot of its funds into making our uni more new, the oldest part you'd ever see at our Uni is the air-conditioned 14-level library + Old Main Building. The rest is quite new.

Getting around the uni can be strenuous walk (If you walk really really slow, the most it'll take you is about 20 minutes to walk from the top campus to the bottom), but at least it's not as spread out as USyd, in fact once you stay at UNSW for a while, you'll think of it more as a little City (following Prof Archer's words at Science Welcome). Also our Orientation week which runs 1 week before uni starts is the LONGEST in Australia, with 2 hour orientations by yellow shirts showing you around the campus.

As for lecturers, every university no matter what will get their share of boring lecturers, but one thing that definitely sets apart UNSW from Usyd is that sciene based lecturers tend to refer alot of their teaching to their past/present research.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Lol, actually on some bad days, it's hard to get back to Central from UNSW since you need to wait for buses, of course this is an exception if you always leave and arrive at UNSW during Peak Hours. My longest wait was about 29 minutes.
Hehe. I find that if I wait more than 5 minutes for a bus, I just give up and hop on the next one that comes, whether it be Bondi Junction, Circular Quay or the Central one I was waiting for. Of course, that only happens if I'm travelling outside of peak hour 3pm-7pm). Museum takes about 30 seconds longer to get to than Central does by their respective buses, and there's more seats on the trains. Of course, USyd has the luxury of getting a choice of only Central, Redfern or Wolli Creek. Score.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yep I agree. If you mean the City Road buses, they're not that bad, and if you're in a hurry, there's at least ten different Parramatta Road services to take you to uni--just means a longer walk, that's all. Plus the fact that you get direct bus services to Leichhardt and UNSW (370) and Bondi Junction (352), even if a bit slow and infrequent.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
So this all begs the question; why do so many people walk from Redfern if there's such a wide selection of buses available? It makes no sense!

phrred

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
So this all begs the question; why do so many people walk from Redfern if there's such a wide selection of buses available? It makes no sense!
im guessing-
it only takes about 10 minutes to walk from redfern to USYD. if u didnt walk ud have to get off at central which is an extra stop for some people. then ud have to wait around for a bus and travel another 5-10 mins by bus

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
But I was told in this thread that there's plenty of buses, and the insinuation was that buses are the hip form of transport at USyd. Obviously that's not true, and my original point of having to walk there still stands (unless you want to wait for a bus during peak hour). It takes 10 minutes to get to the City Road footbridge, and another 10 minutes to get to the other side of USyd, all by walking. That's not very convinient. UNSW on the other hand has a constant stream of buses that take between 10-20 minutes to get there (depending on traffic lights), and at most 5 minutes to get from somewhere on High Street to where-ever you are. I suppose the advice for the person who originally asked the question would be that each uni is just as easy, or hard to get to.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
only in peak periods. for anyone who starts at 1 pm, getting there half an hour early is pointless - im always 20 mins late. but for a morning start its mad, the busses never stop coming. just dont catch a bus which a 1st yr accounting stream has to catch. those mornings are not good.

if you can get somewhere without having to rely on something else (like a bus), i would say it is way more convenient. besides, walking is pretty good for both health and social interaction.

Always

HSC
walking = exercise

How long does it take to walk to USyd from the Central train station?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I suppose the advice for the person who originally asked the question would be that each uni is just as easy, or hard to get to.
I agree. But about Redfern--people usually go there because Central is an extra stop for them. People go to Central either because they wanna change trains, they live on the North Shore or on the Bondi line (and why would you when you can catch a bus directly from USYD and back again?) in which case Central is actually one stop towards home, or for safety reasons. And anyway, it's a considerable 15-20 minutes walk to Redfern from what I heard, so it's not much saving of time, especially if you have to go somewhere which is far from everything, e.g. Bosch.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
My cousin was robbed on Broadway near UTS once. I'd hate to know what would happen if that happened in Redfern.

Anyway, all this talk of transport has distracted from the real deciding factor - the grass.

phrred

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
My cousin was robbed on Broadway near UTS once. I'd hate to know what would happen if that happened in Redfern.

QUOTE]

then there was that girl who got raped by 3 aboriginals in eveleigh st

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
haha when i told my deputy principal last year i was going to usyd he said to me 'yeh when walking to uni watch out for them people. they're dangerous. be nice to them. walk in groups.'

Always

HSC
eek :s Well, if i end up at USyd I'll be walking from the City or finding another form of transport.

phrred

HSC
politik said:
UNSW and USYD need their own train stations.
true although UNSW needs it more

that christie plan posted in another thread would be damn good

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^agree with that Christie plan. Seriously though, it's only an extra few dollars per week on top of the normal train ticket (for USYD anyway) in return for your safety. If you're really picky and don't mind carrying two tickets instead of one, buy your train ticket and blue TravelTen separately, that way, you save something like a dollar a week, which comes out to a saving of $26 in the entire year :rolleyes: plus let's say two weeks of exam weeks per semester--there you go--$32 saved. Can buy yourself 16 rolls of sushi this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)