UTS Bachelor of Accounting (Co-Operative) Scholarship 2020 (1 Viewer)

UTSAccounting

HSC
Hi!

With cadetship and scholarship applications opening up, it's a great time to think about your options after high school.

I'm pleased to announce that the UTS Bachelor of Accounting (Co-operative Scholarship) Program - or BAcc, for short - will be open for applications on Sunday 1st March 2020.

This is an exceptional scholarship program aimed at high-achieving Year 12 students who are interested in pursuing a future career in business or finance. As a current student in the BAcc program, I'm here to provide you with all the information you need and answer any questions that you may have about the program, or the University itself.

Firstly, I would highly recommend that you read the current and past cadetship threads on BoS. They provide a wealth of insight from students and professionals into the various options available to you. When I was deciding what to do after high school, I found the BoS forum to be a great resource that answered a lot of my questions.

Now, what is BAcc?
The UTS Co-Op Program is a career development scholarship that progresses students into professionals and not just graduates at the end of their university degree. The program incorporates industry experience, leadership/professional development, networking and mentoring. With BAcc, you have not only a three-year business degree but also the opportunity to have two six-month, full-time, industry placements at one of our 27 sponsor organisations. This ultimately provides the chance to experience a year's worth of work experience split between two of Australia's most highly sought-after companies. The industries of these companies include accounting, banking, insurance, and even property!

The sponsorship firms include: PWC, Allianz, Wetspac Group, Commonwealth Bank, Foxtel, Coca-Cola Amital, QBE, Brookfield, EY, AMP Capital + many more!

Additionally, BAcc holds various networking and social events throughout the year, where you will have the opportunity to become a tightly knit group of future professionals. Other activities such as company presentations, site visits, career fairs and award evenings will allow you to gain an insight into accounting and business by networking with industry professionals and leaders.

In financial terms, you will also receive a $51,000 tax-free scholarship over the life of your degree - paid fortnightly! This ultimately works out to be approximately $17,000 per year. Also, as a testament to the strength of the program and its hard-working students, there has been a historic graduate employment rate of 95% with students earning a starting salary of $60,000 plus.

Furthermore, there is the flexibility to tailor the BAcc course to your own specific interests by choosing either a 2nd major (since the Accounting major is compulsory), 2 sub-majors or even a sub-major with electives.

The opportunity to go on a 6-month exchange to several countries across the world can also be added to your study through the UTS Exchange program. Global Exchange allows students to study overseas for 1 semester at a UTS partner university in Asia, Europe or America. With 248 exchange agreements with partners in 50 countries and territories, UTS has one of the largest international exchange programs in Australia.

Why did I choose BAcc?
Ultimately, this question will vary for everyone, and you will have the opportunity to hear from other students by attending our Information Evening in May (details below).

However, very early on, I knew that business was where I wanted to be and that a standard Business or Commerce course wasn't for me. Around the beginning of Year 12, applications were closing left right and centre when I was told about this program by my career advisor. "Bachelor of Accounting at UTS." Sitting behind an ancient computer, crunching numbers with an impractically large calculator in some dark cubicle was the first place my mind went and definitely wasn't exactly my idea of a dream career. But then I remembered what my mentor once told me; "accounting is the language of business" and the more I learned about the program, the industry experience and versatility it offered, the more my view of accounting changed. Eventually, I was confident that this was where I wanted to be.

But why accounting? Well, consider that accounting is recognised by big business employers as a highly desirable qualification for graduates to hold, and business leaders today increasingly have this sort of background. This is because the role of accountants has changed dramatically over the last 10 years; they are now people called on to analyse the factors behind business success and failure, and who can provide the information needed for critical decision-making. As a Bachelor of Accounting graduate you will have more potential than virtually any other professional - in terms of long-term employment and salary prospects, rewards and job security, opportunities for travel and working overseas, challenges and job satisfaction.

For more details regarding the course, visit the key links provided below. If you have any questions regarding BAcc directly, please post here (for the benefit of others!) or PM me and I'll get back to you within 48hrs. There will be a BAcc Information Evening held in May. It would be highly recommended that you attend this event if you are looking at applying for BAcc. The evening is an excellent opportunity to talk to current/graduated BAcc students, as well as sponsors and staff. I'll be there, too!

Key Dates:
SUNDAY 1st March 2020: BAcc applications open
WEDNESDAY 13th May 2020: BAcc Information Evening
FRIDAY 29th May 2020: Round 1 applications close
FRIDAY 16th October 2020: Round 2 applications close

Key Links:
BAcc Website:

https: //www.uts.edu.au/future-students/business/business-courses/undergraduate-programs/bachelor-accounting

BAcc Information Evening Booking:
https: //www.eventbrite.com.au/e/uts-bachelor-of-accounting-bacc-co-op-scholarship-information-evening-tickets-95155977089

Last edited:

katehillton2143

HSC
I'm thinking of applying to this course, I just wanted to know in your opinion how good is the course?

UTSAccounting

HSC
Hey katehillton2143!
Firstly, good job on already considering your post-HSC options! It's great to see students who are forward-thinking.

As far as business degrees go, I think this is the best degree. You graduate in 3 years with a year of professional, relevant, work experience - a huge edge over other graduates. You become really good mates with everyone in your cohort AND you get paid to study. The list goes on and on.

In my opinion, I think it's worth applying for EVERY cadetship/co-op and weighing up your options when once you progress through the stages. You miss 100% of all the opportunities you don't take.

If you have any other questions - feel free to post them here or PM me. Hopefully I'll see you at the information evening!

kattieepie18122

HSC
I was reading and apparently you can get in with just an interview - no ATAR at all? Doesn't UTS offer the Bachelor of Accounting without an atar requirement?

katehillton2143

HSC
Hey katehillton2143!
Firstly, good job on already considering your post-HSC options! It's great to see students who are forward-thinking.

As far as business degrees go, I think this is the best degree. You graduate in 3 years with a year of professional, relevant, work experience - a huge edge over other graduates. You become really good mates with everyone in your cohort AND you get paid to study. The list goes on and on.

In my opinion, I think it's worth applying for EVERY cadetship/co-op and weighing up your options when once you progress through the stages. You miss 100% of all the opportunities you don't take.

If you have any other questions - feel free to post them here or PM me. Hopefully I'll see you at the information evening!
Thanks! I'm finalising my application now .

UTSAccounting

HSC
I was reading and apparently you can get in with just an interview - no ATAR at all? Doesn't UTS offer the Bachelor of Accounting without an atar requirement?
It varies, but given the intensive nature of the course, students would be expected to achieve a satisfactory ATAR. In this sense, there is a cut-off, however, unlike other degrees, it isn't quite black and white with a defined cut-off.

Additionally, it's not just about your mark - it's also about other qualities such as leadership, extra-curricular involvement, etc. To put it another way, an ATAR of <95 post-offer isn't necessarily a 'no' as there is a lot more that goes into the decision process. Hope it helps!

katehillton2143

HSC
Just submitted my application! Fingers crossed i get to the next stage.... will the information evening still be going ahead - even with the COVID-19 crisis??

aiden243

HSC
Can I apply if I am a New Zealand citizen but studying in Australia...? Asking for a friend..

Last edited:

lilgsmith10

HSC
I don't know if that's the case, but if it is then it is only because it's expected that all successful candidates would have gotten the cut off anyway.

B Acc is a competitive coop scholarship, not an alternative pathway into a B Bus - at least, that's what I've heard anyway.

lilgsmith10

HSC
What's the difference between the UNSW and UTS coop? Should I apply for both?? There's no information at all online so can someone PLEASE get back to me :rolleyes: :cry:

UTSAccounting

HSC
What's the difference between the UNSW and UTS coop? Should I apply for both?? There's no information at all online so can someone PLEASE get back to me :rolleyes: :cry:
I found it difficult to choose between UNSW and UTS Co-Op Programs when I first started researching what I wanted to do after high school. It's probably a good idea to apply for both programs so you have more freedom of choice later on in the year...

Here's a table I put together to help distinguish the programs:

UNSW Co-Op ProgramUTS Co-Op Program
Program Length4 Years.3 Years.
No. of 6-month Internships3.2.
Academic RequirmentsMust maintain a CREDIT minimum in all subjects (Distinction for Finance stream).Must complete each session (academic block - autumn, spring) with a CREDIT average minimum.
Scholarship Amount/YEAR$15,550.$16,000 - $17,000.
Number of Positions (Accounting) Offered8-10.20-30.
Class StructureAttend normal Bachelor of Commerce classes.A mixture of normal Bachelor of Business classes and Co-Op student streams.
Graduate RecruitmentOffers 'speed recruitment' session.Sponsors recruit directly from within the program during a 'Grad Recruitment' phase in 3rd year.
ATAR Requirement96+.93+ OR Bachelor of Business ATAR cutoff at the bare minimum.
Hope it helps !!

lilgsmith10

HSC
I found it difficult to choose between UNSW and UTS Co-Op Programs when I first started researching what I wanted to do after high school. It's probably a good idea to apply for both programs so you have more freedom of choice later on in the year...

Here's a table I put together to help distinguish the programs:

UNSW Co-Op ProgramUTS Co-Op Program
Program Length4 Years.3 Years.
No. of 6-month Internships3.2.
Academic RequirmentsMust maintain a CREDIT minimum in all subjects (Distinction for Finance stream).Must complete each session (academic block - autumn, spring) with a CREDIT average minimum.
Scholarship Amount/YEAR$15,550.$16,000 - $17,000.
Number of Positions (Accounting) Offered8-10.20-30.
Class StructureAttend normal Bachelor of Commerce classes.A mixture of normal Bachelor of Business classes and Co-Op student streams.
Graduate RecruitmentOffers 'speed recruitment' session.Sponsors recruit directly from within the program during a 'Grad Recruitment' phase in 3rd year.
ATAR Requirement96+.93+ OR Bachelor of Business ATAR cutoff at the bare minimum.
Hope it helps !!
WOW thank you so much !!! Super helpful :music:

cooperh22091

HSC
Hey! What exactly are they looking for? Is it all based on academic performance or are there other factors?

Ben2_0

HSC
Hey! What exactly are they looking for? Is it all based on academic performance or are there other factors?
There are a variety of factors that are taken into account, academic performance is important, however other areas are just as important, these include: extra curricular activities, community involvement and social justice to name a few. The decision is a combination of academic factors and other characteristics which show the type of individual you are outside of your academic life.

Hope that helps

UTSAccounting

HSC
Exactly what Ben said, the program looks for students who excel in the following areas:
- Leadership;
- Confidence;
- Employment/Volunteer experience (even if it is just a fast-food chain);
- Extra-Curricular activity involvement;
- Awareness of the industry you are applying for (accounting);
- Academic excellence.

Whilst academic excellence is important, at the end of the day it is weighed up against many of the factors listed above ^^...

cooperh22091

HSC
Exactly what Ben said, the program looks for students who excel in the following areas:
- Leadership;
- Confidence;
- Employment/Volunteer experience (even if it is just a fast-food chain);
- Extra-Curricular activity involvement;
- Awareness of the industry you are applying for (accounting);
- Academic excellence.

Whilst academic excellence is important, at the end of the day it is weighed up against many of the factors listed above ^^...
Ok thanks heaps! I'll try and finish my application this weekend...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)