UTS Business V UNSW Commerce (for a cadetship) (1 Viewer)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Basically I'm indecisive about what to put as my first preference.

While UNSW is more prestigious (yay superficiality), UTS is more convenient.

Further, because i have a cadetship, the prestige factor is less important.. right? In fact, one place I had an interview at PREFERRED UTS over UNSW, because they thought the UTS program was more modern and practical.

the campus for Business at UTS is also practically walking distance from KPMG, as well as being ultra close to stations - definite plus.

i'm going to the UTS open day this saturday, but I can't make the UNSW one saturday week so I won't be able to compare.

Any insight, general or specific, would be much appreciated =]

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
UTS for easier courses

UNSW if you value your CV

Forum search function if you're smart enough

¬_¬

HSC
UTS for easier courses

UNSW if you value your CV

Forum search function if you're smart enough
I think the animated GIF you may be looking for is...

ps. To TC, I picked UNSW.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
alas i searched and couldn't find.
thanks though

¬_¬

HSC
alas i searched and couldn't find.
thanks though
There are a LOT of posts related to the UNSW vs. UTS debate for cadets in the cadetship thread and other places on BoS. Although in all fairness, the threads fo rcadetships become long winded and full of pointless bantering/high-fiving each other that it's no wonder people don't get much value out of them.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
There are a LOT of posts related to the UNSW vs. UTS debate for cadets in the cadetship thread and other places on BoS. Although in all fairness, the threads fo rcadetships become long winded and full of pointless bantering/high-fiving each other that it's no wonder people don't get much value out of them.
i only searched for threads, only for the reason that, like you said, singular posts may not be reflective of the topic actually being discussed in a way which will benefit me reading it haha.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
If you're in assurance chances are you'll be out at client sites a lot more than being around the office, so the UTS vs UNSW for convenience doesn't factor in that much

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
yeah also true. and yeah i'm in audit so yes, much out-of-office work would be done.
but for my contract i go to uni full time for the first six months, and uni and work are usually going to be on separate days, so the immediate train journey to UTS is a definite winner. tbh i'd rather go with the allegedly easier course, i'm that sick of study, obviously not to say it won't have its own all-nighters to be had, but meh.

¬_¬

HSC
yeah also true. and yeah i'm in audit so yes, much out-of-office work would be done.
but for my contract i go to uni full time for the first six months, and uni and work are usually going to be on separate days, so the immediate train journey to UTS is a definite winner. tbh i'd rather go with the allegedly easier course, i'm that sick of study, obviously not to say it won't have its own all-nighters to be had, but meh.
Fair enough point. But from memory most firms are giving you a whole day off work anyway to attend uni so it really shouldn't be that much of a difference.

The other thing you gotta remember is that once you finish your uni degree, you get to do CA which is even more 'challenging'... bludging too much through uni may not be in your best interests.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Fair enough point. But from memory most firms are giving you a whole day off work anyway to attend uni so it really shouldn't be that much of a difference.

The other thing you gotta remember is that once you finish your uni degree, you get to do CA which is even more 'challenging'... bludging too much through uni may not be in your best interests.
touche. yeah i don't plan to bludge through uni by any means, i'll put in more than enough to make sure i'm getting by. but, i'm not keen to do a harder course for the sake of prestige. ah well, with my failure to really prepare for trials i'd be lucky to make unsw anyway, but then again they have those ridiculous bonus point schemes where you get like 5 extra points just for getting a band 5 in eng and maths.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
UTS.

As you mentioned, gibson mate, prestige plays really small part once you get cadetship. Convenience sounds like a poor reason to choose UTS over UNSW but think about it, you will have to attend the uni that you choose for the next 4 years. 30 minutes to 1 hour everyday for 4 years is quite a bit of time you know.

Besides, you will find that most people who do cadetship go to UTS so you will find more friends there.

I strongly encourage you to private message some members like seremify. I remember him mentioning several times that he would choose UTS over UNSW if he were to given a second chance. TBH, I am not an expert at this so ye.

Monstar

HSC
lol. Reputation really means nothing when you've landed a job.. and by the looks of things you've got one and most probably when you graduate (unless you fuck things up). Even if YOU DO stuff things up and they dont give you a job at the end of your degree, you've got a degree and about 3 years of experience.. a MASSIVE leg up on the people you'll be competing with.

atm1991

HSC
UTS.

As you mentioned, gibson mate, prestige plays really small part once you get cadetship. Convenience sounds like a poor reason to choose UTS over UNSW but think about it, you will have to attend the uni that you choose for the next 4 years. 30 minutes to 1 hour everyday for 4 years is quite a bit of time you know.

Besides, you will find that most people who do cadetship go to UTS so you will find more friends there.

I strongly encourage you to private message some members like seremify. I remember him mentioning several times that he would choose UTS over UNSW if he were to given a second chance. TBH, I am not an expert at this so ye.
Hey namu, I thought you said in a thread a while back you would rather UNSW or Macq with a cadetship? Have you changed your mind about UTS?

whateverrrr

Banned
HSC
I would go to UTS for the fact that they give out HDs and D like candy. Mac uni on the other hand out HDs and Ds rarely and only to very small proportions. If i could go back in time I would of chosen UTS

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hey namu, I thought you said in a thread a while back you would rather UNSW or Macq with a cadetship? Have you changed your mind about UTS?
That's when I get scholarship there. UTS doesn't have any scholarship where I would fit into whereas Macquarie and UNSW both provide Academic Scholarships.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
lol. Reputation really means nothing when you've landed a job.. and by the looks of things you've got one and most probably when you graduate (unless you fuck things up). Even if YOU DO stuff things up and they dont give you a job at the end of your degree, you've got a degree and about 3 years of experience.. a MASSIVE leg up on the people you'll be competing with.
Yeah for accounting there's absolutely no need to worry about prestige once you've landed your cadetship ... but say you finish your cadetship and decide you want to explore the world of finance.. I'd be thinking UNSW background would be much more favorable, especially considering that you'd only have a single degree.

I mean even with cadetship experience I think single degree w/ distinction @ UTS would be very very hard pressed to manage an intern interview for finance.

I would go to UTS for the fact that they give out HDs and D like candy. Mac uni on the other hand out HDs and Ds rarely and only to very small proportions. If i could go back in time I would of chosen UTS
And that's exactly why UTS isn't as reputable in the industry. People I've known went from getting passes/credits at UNSW to getting straight distinctions at UTS. If an employer down the track knows the difference ceteris paribus your UTS degree isn't as competitive.

I'll admit I'm extremely bias (UNSW Cadet background...) but ultimately my personal feeling is that you're already going to be working hard so you may as well do the best that you can do.

From what I've seen its about a 45%/45% split between UNSW and UTS, with a random few north shore people being the 10% that go to macquarie.

3li

HSC
N/A
sorry vagabond i beg to differ - u know hu i am haha

i go to uts
i do a single degree
my marks are average
i havent got cadetship exp

i landed 2 retail bank offers in finance last year, 1 boutique ib

this year i landed 4 bulge bracket offers

i represent the cohort

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
sorry vagabond i beg to differ - u know hu i am haha

i go to uts
i do a single degree
my marks are average
i havent got cadetship exp

i landed 2 retail bank offers in finance last year, 1 boutique ib

this year i landed 4 bulge bracket offers

i represent the cohort
Haha you must have something up your sleeve!

But I'm guessing its the fact you had early finance experience up front that helped you leverage your CV and get those bulge bracket offers.

Somebody coming from a different background like the OP in this thread who is doing a cadetship won't have that finance experience, just accounting experience... hence there would probably be more emphasis on the academia.

Plus being a cadet it's unlikely that they'll have much time to brush up their CV with any extra-curriculars, again placing more weight on their education.

And also... i'm not saying its impossible.. you're living proof of that... but somebody who wanted to get themself in the best possible position wouldn't be doing themselves any favours taking UTS.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)