UTS v UWS (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Ms 12 said:
Pardon my rudeness, but who died and made you boss?
i reckon i'm sufficiently old/mature/been spamming long enough to keep this forum orderly, don't u?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Until there are swear words and off topic flaming, I wouldn't say it wasn't orderly.

We're law students, not 3 year olds

santaslayer

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
So you are not willing to accept that there will be a difference between how people score in highschool and in uni? That some 90 uai people will do worse, some will stay the same and some will do better?
Of course I am. This was discussed previously. The issue is that only SOME will (or maybe will) do better and adopt better in uni than high school. These, in the minority, will always be just that-the MINORITY. UWS does NOT house overnight miracles. (Nor does any uni for that matter).

NTB said:
You said they would kill most/all... I will get back to this in my last point, but I did already state that they would beat the majority as I accept this out of hand (average 98 uai student will beat average 90 uai student, of which we assume 50% are at least average or bellow).
*Keeps reading*

NTB said:
Yes but the problem is even worse when you start dealing with the majority of uws students only being say 4 uai points bellow him, what is the chance that one of them may deviate above that of your average 98 uai student? It just gets more likely.
I would give the same response I gave to NATSTAR. People with near average UAI's (66.00, I presume would be average) would be much harder to differentiate with a UAI because most of the content is already really "primary knowledge".

The people who get near the both ends of the spectrum find it harder to beat people who got 4 UAI points above them because it requires MUCH more dedication and aptitude.

eg.

Natstar got 73.00 but finds it easy to beat people who achieved a 77.00. Why? Because the rank she got might of been because she had a bad day in the exam. A few points extra in a few of her subjects would of been sufficent to obtain the 77.00. In this way, the UAI is not accurate ENUFF. It is very different if we're talking about people who got an asterix and the ones that got 90.00-100.00. These people tend to find it harder to change their ranking because the material they must of had to digest would be much greater and indepth..

Therefore, the UAI, in this case is extremely accurate.

NTB said:
Well it is quite obvious what you meant, unless you'd like to redefine it? I mean you said kill most/all, by which I would assume the most would be quite close to 'all'. Especially after the word 'killing' was used.
Kill as in beat. Beat as in sufficently kill. :p That is and was my understanding. It is useless to attempt to catch me out for words. The real issue still stands as whether the majority would be able to KILL the thread maker. After explaining what kill meant, I find it even harder for these "overnight miricals" to KILL the thread maker. :)

NTB said:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=2141903&postcount=106

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=2143554&postcount=109

I have repeated, over and over again... that the majority would be beaten this does not equate to killing most, if not everyone, I also would not by any measure call a majority victory a 'killing'.
How does it not? Sorry but I am still confused??. :p??

if you killed most or all people how is it not a "Victory"? Unless you're trying to chuck a James Goudkamp?

santaslayer

HSC
Well if anyone decided to kill this thread then I'd chuck a riot, since it hasn't fulfilled ANY criteria for it to be splattered into smithereens.

Does frigid want to become mod? :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
Well if anyone decided to kill this thread then I'd chuck a riot, since it hasn't fulfilled ANY criteria for it to be splattered into smithereens.
it's very very off-topic (ie not about UTS v UWS law degrees) and... hypertrophy has already made his decision :p

com'on, UAI was 2 years ago... get over it :)

santaslayer

HSC
Frigid said:
it's very very off-topic (ie not about UTS v UWS law degrees) and... hypertrophy has already made his decision :p

com'on, UAI was 2 years ago... get over it :)
but the thread topic (which has been elaborated) hasnt been fully answered.

uai is shit. but lazarus isnt over it yet!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Of course I am. This was discussed previously. The issue is that only SOME will (or maybe will) do better and adopt better in uni than high school. These, in the minority, will always be just that-the MINORITY. UWS does NOT house overnight miracles. (Nor does any uni for that matter).
This was never a debate about who is in the majority... I have said that 100 times and yet you continue to act although I have not.

Natstar got 73.00 but finds it easy to beat people who achieved a 77.00. Why? Because the rank she got might of been because she had a bad day in the exam. A few points extra in a few of her subjects would of been sufficent to obtain the 77.00. In this way, the UAI is not accurate ENUFF. It is very different if we're talking about people who got an asterix and the ones that got 90.00-100.00. These people tend to find it harder to change their ranking because the material they must of had to digest would be much greater and indepth..

Therefore, the UAI, in this case is extremely accurate.
Ok, I can see what you're getting at here. That the difference between uai is greater the higher up you go, a person with 95 is a fair chunk lower than 98, because we are approaching people's actual limits.

However, the people on in the 90's range will still be able to beat others at uni (we have examples) and it is up to us to determine how many will... 10%? We don't know, we can assume it is a fairly low number but we still simply do not know.

Kill as in beat. Beat as in sufficently kill. That is and was my understanding. It is useless to attempt to catch me out for words. The real issue still stands as whether the majority would be able to KILL the thread maker. After explaining what kill meant, I find it even harder for these "overnight miricals" to KILL the thread maker.
You said the word kill... which I believe most people would agree implies severe beating. I would have no problem with this and probably let it slide, but you also claimed they'll probably beat everybody (there is no way they will probably beat everybody), therefore I do not buy what you are saying. They are not 'overnight miracles', many people simply do not put as much effort in highschool as they should of... some people also burn out... it is not a miracle that these people then work hard.

if you killed most or all people how is it not a "Victory"? Unless you're trying to chuck a James Goudkamp?
To use urban dictionary... the top response for 'killed' is:

The expression used when someone is severly beaten in an argument (thus silencing them), inadvertantly embarrasses themselves, is made a fool of etc.

Similar in meaning to owned/pwned or served.
So I really don't think I'm being too big a bastard on semantics. You could have said 'beat the majority of students' but you said 'kill most if not all', there is further meaning implied by that second statement than the first.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
hYperTrOphY said:
...Unless you are enjoying this argument, there is no need to continue.
I think it's fair to assume that they most definately are enjoying it.

helzangel23

krystal
HSC
university

i suggest u choose uws. because there is no point of completing a degree in social inquiry if u will not like it. plus u may get the scholarship.
i was facing the same dilema. journalism//law at uts or advertising law at uws. i was offered the scholarship at uws, but only chose uts because i would prefer journalism more than advertising. the moral of the story. ..do what u love and u cant go wrong!:wave:

helzangel23

krystal
HSC
do what u love not what u think others will prefer we only live once will u regret it??

helzangel23

krystal
HSC
university

no uws offers a communications degree, majoring in advertising. u can major in pr, journalism and other topics

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Ah ok cool. You can major in advertising (well, marketing) in a Commerce degree though, does UWS have a Commerce degree?

santaslayer

HSC
wtf, i wrote a whole fucking thesis and BoS just automatically signs me out...wtf!!??!

anyway, will type again..wait...

fucken..

i hate this layout..fuck

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
That happened post-new layout.

If you take too long on one page it signs you out. You should always ctrl + c your post before attempting to post. That was if you've been signed out you still have your post!

santaslayer

HSC
ok, will be brief. fucken bos. (plz dont ban me :p)

Not-That-Bright said:
This was never a debate about who is in the majority... I have said that 100 times and yet you continue to act although I have not.
This is not a non-issue. The majority fits well into the criteria of killing MOST people.
"If not all.." is just one half of the criteria. The other half is "MOST". It does not state that one must fulfill BOTH to be correct.

NTB said:
]Ok, I can see what you're getting at here. That the difference between uai is greater the higher up you go, a person with 95 is a fair chunk lower than 98, because we are approaching people's actual limits.

However, the people on in the 90's range will still be able to beat others at uni (we have examples) and it is up to us to determine how many will... 10%? We don't know, we can assume it is a fairly low number but we still simply do not know.
Actually predicting and speculating is a better response than "NOT KNOWING" IMO. I think it was too easy to give such a response. I think this is an OK "statistical response". :p

NTB said:
You said the word kill... which I believe most people would agree implies severe beating. I would have no problem with this and probably let it slide, but you also claimed they'll probably beat everybody (there is no way they will probably beat everybody), therefore I do not buy what you are saying. They are not 'overnight miracles', many people simply do not put as much effort in highschool as they should of... some people also burn out... it is not a miracle that these people then work hard.

To use urban dictionary... the top response for 'killed' is:

So I really don't think I'm being too big a bastard on semantics. You could have said 'beat the majority of students' but you said 'kill most if not all', there is further meaning implied by that second statement than the first.
A Killing is hard to define in Uni terms. One mark in uni is much harder to gain than high school. You could practically beg for one or two marks in high school. No you're not being a bastard at all. I just think using one word in this context against me, or as a focal point to your whiole argument is not as appropriate. I guess that's what good lawyers do though.

In then went on to give a big arse conclusion which hopefully, would of triggered a final post from you, but fuck this. BoS is gonna log me off again. I hate this layout. FUCK!!!!

EDIT: Please tell me if I have not made sense in some areas. I've been fucken put off.
I DO like the quick edit though. :p

Last edited:

= Jennifer =

HSC
Ms 12 said:
Ah ok cool. You can major in advertising (well, marketing) in a Commerce degree though, does UWS have a Commerce degree?
they have two options

B Business and Commerce

or

B Business

the difference is the B Business and Commerce allows you to experience a bit of each major in the first year and you decide your major for second and third year

where the B Business allows you to study your major from the first year

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Ah ok, I haven't heard of that, thats pretty cool. If I had my time again Id probably choose to combine my degree with Commerce, I think its a fantastic generalist degree but Id suck at like accountancy and QM and stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)