• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UWS Medicine Help plz (1 Viewer)

ellie95

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, just wondering. I want to apply for UWS Medicine, I live in the Western Sydney Area but Do I get bonus points for the area i live in or not. Please help and what ATAR do i need? :confused:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Hello!

For medicine, I do not think bonus points apply. However if you live in the Greater Western Sydney region (check UWS' site to see if you do), then you get a lower ATAR threshold (93.55 rather than 95.55) and a lower UMAT threshold for being called to the interview.

UWS calls students for an interview, based on meeting a UMAT threshold. When you sit the UMAT, UWS will take your scores for section 1, section 2 and section 3 in the following ratio 1:1:0.5

If you meet the benchmark score, which is 150ish if I recall correctly, you will be offered an interview. From there, the top 100 or so students are picked to be in medicine, as long as they meet the ATAR threshold.

teeah

HSC
You don't get bonus points- they don't really apply for a course as competitive as medicine, but our ATAR threshold is lowered to approx 93.5 and we have a lower UMAT threshold than someone who's non-western sydney.
:)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
The umat threshold is like 189 for GWS sluts.

Edit: I meant 149. Whoops.

Last edited:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
The umat threshold is like 189 for GWS sluts.
not if you take into account the 1:1:0.5 weighting

as a guide my scores were along the lines of 64, 60 and 60. So my weighted score was 154 and I was called for an interview

ellie95

HSC
N/A
Hello!

For medicine, I do not think bonus points apply. However if you live in the Greater Western Sydney region (check UWS' site to see if you do), then you get a lower ATAR threshold (93.55 rather than 95.55) and a lower UMAT threshold for being called to the interview.

UWS calls students for an interview, based on meeting a UMAT threshold. When you sit the UMAT, UWS will take your scores for section 1, section 2 and section 3 in the following ratio 1:1:0.5

If you meet the benchmark score, which is 150ish if I recall correctly, you will be offered an interview. From there, the top 100 or so students are picked to be in medicine, as long as they meet the ATAR threshold.

Thank you so much :) and what do u mean by the ratio, im still a bit confused by that

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Thank you so much :) and what do u mean by the ratio, im still a bit confused by that
well when you get your UMAT back you will have scores for each of the sections. There are three sections. When UWS considers your score from the UMAT, they take your full score for sections 1 and 2 into consideration, but only half of your section 3 score

ellie95

HSC
N/A
Thank u so much for giving me the info :). I understand how it works now. Hopefully i can get the atar required, we are doing different pathway. three subjects this year and three next year.

Siddy123

HSC
Thank u so much for giving me the info :). I understand how it works now. Hopefully i can get the atar required, we are doing different pathway. three subjects this year and three next year.
wow thats unique!
is it a form of acceleration? (ie. are you supposed to be in yr 11 are u born in early96 and 95)- or r u supposed to be in yr 12 this year?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
not if you take into account the 1:1:0.5 weighting

as a guide my scores were along the lines of 64, 60 and 60. So my weighted score was 154 and I was called for an interview
I meant 149. Whoops.

I only got ~139. I didn't even apply for UWS. :(

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I meant 149. Whoops.

I only got ~139. I didn't even apply for UWS. :(
ah ok. btw good luck in umat! I was going to give you the f2f papers, but then you said you already had them

lvella10

HSC
Times like this I love being a gws student :)
Goodluck to everyone doing umat!

HSC
most people who get in get well over 95 tbh. There are very very few who get under 95 and get straight in
i know

it was to the guy thanking himself that he lives in UWS so he can pretend he'll scrape in with a 93.

lvella10

HSC
if you can't get 95, I don't think I'd actually want you as a doctor. Just sayin
That's a bit harsh ... Many great doctors around prior to such high entry requirements were probably no smarter than your average guy. Victor Chang for instance..
Ambition, dedication and personal skills are required, not necessarily academia

lvella10

HSC
I'm sitting on over 95, just saying it's good to have the fall back of a lower Umat ..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)