• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UWS UAI-Cut Offs So Low, Why ? (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Angel45 said:
hey melsc...

u'll so luv the orientation thing u do for law...

for us they like took us through a case and stuff and gave us a taste of what the course will be like.. it was lots of fun...

that's like once ur in the course and stuff, nxt yr, but something to look forward too.
Ohhh nice :) UWSers are too nice *hugz*

My careers advisor told me not to let anyone put me down for having UWS as first preference and I wont :/

Angel45

HSC
hey melsc...

u'll so luv the orientation thing u do for law...

for us they like took us through a case and stuff and gave us a taste of what the course will be like.. it was lots of fun...

that's like once ur in the course and stuff, nxt yr, but something to look forward too.

nwatts

HSC
natstar said:
Its amusing what you find funny. I find it funny that you can actually comment on universities when you havent even completed the HSC yet, nor secured a uni place.
I see UWS as a dumping ground for those who don't get the marks to go to better universities. This thread has illuminated such for those who didn't realise. Everyone I know of who goes to a UWS or has been there hates it and wishes they'd gone elsewhere.

I don't have first-hand UWS experience, but I have eyes and ears.

L

LaraB

melsc said:
Ohhh nice :) UWSers are too nice *hugz*

My careers advisor told me not to let anyone put me down for having UWS as first preference and I wont :/
exactly!

i went to baulko where like..everyone almost goes to city unis and like..you're expected to...

and my careers advisor is like in all these committees wit the UWS VC and stuff and on all these state committees for gifted and talented peoples and all that kinda thing and she told me that it was an excellent choice and that the course is way better than other unis.. people just don't give it any cred coz the uni's only been around since 97...

like seriously.. people need 2 stop bitchin.. like... UNSW n USYD n UTS and all the other unis took a hell of a lot longer than a decade to get to where they are.. what the hell do they want from us :rolleyes:

L

LaraB

nwatts said:
I see UWS as a dumping ground for those who don't get the marks to go to better universities. This thread has illuminated such for those who didn't realise. Everyone I know of who goes to a UWS or has been there hates it and wishes they'd gone elsewhere.

I don't have first-hand UWS experience, but I have eyes and ears.
um.. dumping ground huh?

i got 98+ and went there as a first preference by choice.... i coulda gone elsewhere...

there's rejects at every uni..

from the attitudes you've spat out in this thread its not surprising the people you know at the uni hate it... i don't see anyone particularly pleasant associating with that kind of attitude...

people at every uni hate their uni... heaps of my friends at new south wished they'd gone to uts... heaps at mac wish they'd gone to uws. heaps at sydney wished they'd gone to anu or unsw...

seriously, get over it.

big shit if people you know hate it. tens of thousands of people go to the uni.. no way are your friends gonna make up the numbers for a majority...

as natstar said - stop commenting on the quality of the uni and especially the rude response you give to people who attend the uni and thus know what they're talking about.. you havent been there so you don't know.. everything you have said replicate the ignorant generalisations of any person who hasn't been there and has a copmletely biased/one eyed view of the uni with nothing decent to base it on

nwatts

HSC
Now you're accusing me of things you've pulled from your UWS-infected arse.

You're right, my friends won't be representitive of the general view on UWS. But, my experience has shown me that it's not a nice place to go. You bunch on this forum are the first i've ever heard of who have actually wanted to be there, and seem to enjoy it.

It's not a matter of me "getting over it". I'm presenting my view on the uni, judging by the experiences of those I know. If anyone needs to get over themselves, it's you and your bigotry. I've got my opinion, you've got yours. You're set out on suppressing mine, as it's damaging to your precious uni.

L

LaraB

nwatts said:
Now you're accusing me of things you've pulled from your UWS-infected arse.

You're right, my friends won't be representitive of the general view on UWS. But, my experience has shown me that it's not a nice place to go. You bunch on this forum are the first i've ever heard of who have actually wanted to be there, and seem to enjoy it.

It's not a matter of me "getting over it". I'm presenting my view on the uni, judging by the experiences of those I know. If anyone needs to get over themselves, it's you and your bigotry. I've got my opinion, you've got yours. You're set out on suppressing mine, as it's damaging to your precious uni.
no i'm not. fine, you've got an opinion... big deal. everything you're saying is teh experiences of other people.. you have no 1st hand experience. You cannot comment thus whether it is a 'nice place to go' as you haven't been there.

for all we know your friends are members a group of morons who are currently failing and thus don't like the uni...

anyway.. for those of you who actually want to know about the uni rather than just giving unevidence uneducated opinions..

there's some good stuff lately on the news page on the website:
http://apps.uws.edu.au/media/news/

plus there's more details about open day on tehre for those of you who want more info.

BTW - any of you who are driving to open day - get there early, park in the front main carpark coz there's construction stuff going on in the ones further in so its a bit of a pain to get in and out off..plus the gravel car parks near the nursing building and basketball courts and tennis courts you get blocked in coz there isn't marked spaces... :)

nwatts

HSC
natstar said:
btw. I'm not flustered, nor going to have a big skitzo about this. But since you know no better, this forum does not tolerate this kind of behaviour, so please either say something constructive or leave.
What behaviour is that? Expressing an opinion? Is this forum hosted in Nazi Germany? I'm making reasonable judgements based on the information i've been presented.

If i'm not praising UWS's efforts I should leave? This is the very definition of fascism.

natstar said:
I find it quite amusing that as soon as these type of threads come up, everyone else from every other uni comes in and thinks they are experts on the subject when they are far from knowing anything right
I've pretty clearly established that I'm going from the views of those I know who have been there/are there now, and am in no way an expert.

L

LaraB

nwatts said:
What behaviour is that? Expressing an opinion? Is this forum hosted in Nazi Germany? I'm making reasonable judgements based on the information i've been presented.

If i'm not praising UWS's efforts I should leave? This is the very definition of fascism.

I've pretty clearly established that I'm going from the views of those I know who have been there/are there now, and am in no way an expert.
you don't have any reasons apart from your friends didn't like it.. that's not constructive... you haven't presented any 'information' and just coz we're telling you you have no substantial basis for your opinion and as we actually go there and you don't, you're incorrect doesn't make us a bunch of fascists...

give some evidence or stop saying the unis not a good uni to go to coz those of us who know what we're talking about can give plenty of reasons why it's a good uni

L

LaraB

natstar said:
This thread will be closed soon
lol thanx nat:)

so peopel wantin 2 go 2 open day - check out the website, figure out transport and everything before you go! :) plan your day - you don't wanna find that you miss something you wanna go to coz you're on the other side of campus at the same time and can't get across to it....

ooh and if u wanna help us out - drop some hints about how you think a milkshake machine would be real good ;) coz we want one :)

oh um.i think my timestamp's screwy? u know how i can fix it?

nwatts

HSC
Evidence? Ok. Out of 38 publically-funded universities in Australia, UWS was recently ranked 33rd in terms of: generic skills, good teaching, overall satisfaction, students in full-time employment after they graduate, those that go on to full-time study, drop-out or attrition rates and sudent progress or pass rates. That is a mere five rankings from the lowest ranked univeristy in the country.

Source: http://www.australian-universities.com/rankings.php

Combine that with the abysmal comments I hear from past and present students, I can see my judgement as being fairly well-based.

L

LaraB

nwatts said:
Evidence? Ok. Out of 38 publically-funded universities in Australia, UWS was recently ranked 33rd in terms of: generic skills, good teaching, overall satisfaction, students in full-time employment after they graduate, those that go on to full-time study, drop-out or attrition rates and sudent progress or pass rates. That is a mere five rankings from the lowest ranked univeristy in the country.

Source: http://www.australian-universities.com/rankings.php

Combine that with the abysmal comments I hear from past and present students, I can see my judgement as being fairly well-based.
that doesn't mean anything

its a young uni so it shouldn't have as high student succesws rates.../

there is no evidence as to what was invoilved in the 'satisfaction' areas so that doesn't prove anything

this study is inconsistent with other studies internationally and nationally.. it doesnt' prove it's a crap uni

nwatts

HSC
sarevok said:
guys just leave uws alone it's a good uni ok :(
I see this comment wasn't "attacked", like mine have been. I've presented more basis for an opinion than this bloke, but because he agreed with you all, he gets away with it.

I'm all for discussion. I don't see this as an especially inflammatory discussion either. But, I think a lot of you are being pretty pathetic in the way you respond to someone who doesn't agree with your views.

L

LaraB

nwatts said:
I see this comment wasn't "attacked", like mine have been. I've presented more basis for an opinion than this bloke, but because he agreed with you all, he gets away with it.

I'm all for discussion. I don't see this as an especially inflammatory discussion either. But, I think a lot of you are being pretty pathetic in the way you respond to someone who doesn't agree with your views.
no people responded to your comments as they were rude

L

LaraB

natstar said:
And UNSW is like 1 above us???
lol exactly ahnd surprise surprise - his location is 'wollongong' and he picks a study wit wollongong uni at the top.. coz i'm sure they'r soooo highly regarded and this study is so well evidenced and regarded :rolleyes:

nwatts

HSC
LaraB said:
that doesn't mean anything

its a young uni so it shouldn't have as high student succesws rates.../

there is no evidence as to what was invoilved in the 'satisfaction' areas so that doesn't prove anything

this study is inconsistent with other studies internationally and nationally.. it doesnt' prove it's a crap uni
Oh please. You wanted "evidence". I gave it to you.

"Success" rates were one small part of the study. "Overall satisfaction" was the most heavily weighted part of the survey, so it seems what i'm saying is fairly correct. In comparison to other universities, UWS students aren't satisfied.

nwatts

HSC
LaraB said:
lol exactly ahnd surprise surprise - his location is 'wollongong' and he picks a study wit wollongong uni at the top.. coz i'm sure they'r soooo highly regarded and this study is so well evidenced and regarded :rolleyes:
I picked the study because it was the most reputable to be done in recent years, according to media commentators and politicians.

You're now taking cheap shots.

nwatts

HSC
natstar said:
No one has said anything about this comment besides you.
This is my entire point. Did you care to even read what i'd written?

natstar said:
I dont agree with your views becuase they are not valid.
"They aren't valid because they disagree with your views," is what you're trying to say. In today's day-and-age, no one's opinion is invalid. I consider mine to be reasonably well backed. I know of a good bunch who represent a wide range in the community (who have been/are at UWS), who were dissatisfied. A national study agrees with me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)