V8 Supercars 2006 (1 Viewer)

ohdato

HSC
Bring on Bathurst, the beer and the memories!!!

RIP Peter, I'm sure he was driving the nuts out of that sweet car.
Another Aussie just doing what they loved.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
We need to start a campaign here and I've got just the idea ...

CONROD STRAIGHT TO OFFICIALLY BE RE-NAMED THE PETER BROCK STRAIGHT!

Ask anyone on the street to name the first part of Mount Panorama (in Brocky's final year it was re-named Mount BROCKORAMA by fans; they actually changed the lettering) that comes to mind, and chances are they will name Conrod. And ask them to name any Australian racer and it's probably going to be Brock. Put two and two together ... and you get the Peter Brock Straight. Got a nice ring to it, and what better way can we remember a man who dedicated his life to going faster than by naming the fastest section of Australian motorsport after him? It's better than re-naming a chicane after him or something.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
:(

A sad day for Australian motorsport. I just hope that the result isn't changing of great corners or removing of targa rally's or anything.
He is about the 4th driver to die this year in some sort of rally competition :(

RIP. He not only has a records which will be never broken, but hes helped improved motor-racing safety and car safety.

Poor Kylie! She must be so upset :(

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
miss_gtr said:
:( I am. As soon as everyone heard they were like "Poor Kylie, she must be so sad".
What a sick way to die :(
*Hugs*
Do you have uni on Monday? I might come and see you!

Atleast he died doing the thing he loved.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Aww. I have Mondays off, and since Macquarie is close to home, I thought its about time I made the effort to see Kylie :p

Hmm ... I'll be back home tomorrow night, I'll see when your at uni.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I'm well aware of that, you bloody stalker :p

But theres a book at mac uni library that I need and I need to photocopy it, so I thought that my bestest buddy Kylie would let me use her library card, so I don't have to buy myself one :p

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Dankies Kylie!
I'll come and find you.
I'm too stingy to buy a copy card for $2 :p

Oh, and whilst someone meationed renaming Bathurst, did you know theres a corner at Bathurst named after me, I'm so speesh :eek:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I believe the "Cat" in question is "Caterpillar". Wait, I'm just stating the bloody obvious here, aren't I?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Your stating the bloody obvious. Stop it!

Its Cat corner, therefore its my corner.
See, I'm better than you, I have a corner named after me :p

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
You mean Griffin's Bend?

Sorry, on this one I'm decidedly old-school. No matter what sponsorship name is attatched, I'll always know the corners and straights as Hell Corner, Mountian Straight, Griffin's Bend, the Cutting, Reid Park, Sulman Park and McPhillamy Park, Skyline, the Dipper and the Esses, Forrest's Elbow, Conrod Straight (though if it gets re-named, I'm happy calling it the Brock Straight), the Chase and Murray's Corner. I don't care if it's Shell, Caterpillar, BP, Castrol, Hardie, Tyerpower or Caltex sponsoring the bends, I'll always know them by their original names.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Yes, Griffin's Bend for the old school people, like yourself :p
And Cat's corner, for people like me!
I call it Cat's corner only because it seems like I've got a corner named after me. Thats about as close as I'm ever going to get to having some sort connection with a race track :(

You should care if something is sponsored by shell :p
(No particular reason why *whistles*)

Your right about the old school names though. Sponsorship comes and goes, but those names of corners you said have much more of an identity to them, than some sponsorship crap.

ohdato

HSC
Bathurst brings out the bogan in all of us.

I say Brock Straight is a goer!!!! And that it shall never
have coporate sponsorship to over come it.

Cape, In relation to Targa events. Its the very nature of the sport that it has a thinner line than Curcuit racing...Its what give it that back to grass roots feel.
Its a big price to pay for the enjoyment of motorsport :(

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
ohdato said:
I say Brock Straight is a goer!!!! And that it shall never
have coporate sponsorship to over come it.
It's been free of the taint of commerce for all these years under the name of Conrod, and I don't think anyone would want to desecrate it with sponsorship if it gets named after Peter Perfect.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
ohdato said:
Cape, In relation to Targa events. Its the very nature of the sport that it has a thinner line than Curcuit racing...Its what give it that back to grass roots feel.
Its a big price to pay for the enjoyment of motorsport :(
yeah, i just hope that no some no good dope show now comes out and says that Targa's should be taken off the motorsport circuit.

Its as safe as Rally can really get.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
For the first time in the history of the sport V8 Supercars Australia will host a 14-round Series in 2007 with every event counting towards the Championship.

V8 Supercars Australia will return to Eastern Creek Raceway in Sydney next year as a one-off to replace the non-Championship Australian Grand Prix, making for a 14-round Championship Series in 2007.

V8 Supercars will not attend next year’s Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne due to the limited turnaround time prior to the second round of the Championship in Perth which starts just four days later.

For the first time fans will get to enjoy a new event at Eastern Creek over the Queen’s Birthday long weekend in June which will be run on Saturday, Sunday and Monday with a special format for the weekend. Exact details of the format will be released early in the New Year.

“We are extremely disappointed that we won’t have the opportunity to stage what would have been a massive event at Homebush in Sydney but that’s in the past now and we will move on,” V8 Supercars Australia Chairman Tony Cochrane said.

“This calendar really gives all of the fans across Australia the chance to get behind the Championship as it provides them with a race at all of the major Australia circuits.”

The 2007 V8 Supercar Championship Series calendar remains largely the same as in 2006 except the addition of Eastern Creek, the move of Perth into March and the swapping of timeslots between Tasmania and Bahrain.

The 2007 Fujitsu V8 Supercars Series will hold six of its seven rounds as the major support category to the V8 Supercar Championship Series. Wakefield Park will be the only stand alone event from March 30-April 1 following the first event of the year, the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide.

The Championship calendar is still provision until approved by the Confederation of Australian Motorsport and the International governing body of Motorsport the FIA.

The 2007 V8 Supercar Championship Series calendar:

1. Mar 1-4 Clipsal 500 Adelaide
2. Mar 23-25 Barbagallo Perth
3. Apr 20-22 Placemakers V8 Int New Zealand
4. May 18-20 Winton Victoria
5. Jun 9-11 Eastern Creek Sydney
6. Jun 22-24 Sky City Challenge Darwin
7. Jul 19-22 Qld Raceway Ipswich
8. Aug 16-19 Oran Park Sydney
9. Sep 14-16 Betta Electrical 500 Melbourne
10. Oct 3-7 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 Bathurst
11. Oct 18-21 Gillette V8 Supercar Challenge Surfers Paradise
12. Nov 1-3 BIC Bahrain
13. Nov 16-18 Tasmania Challenge Launceston
14. Nov 29-Dec 2 Grand Finale Phillip Island
Surely we have some better tracks than some of those.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Most Australian tracks aren't to GP length; in fact, the only really long circuits we take on are Albert Park, Mount Panorama and Philip Island. Even the Manama circuit in Bahrain is run to a shortened length as the cars will cut out the first "loop" of the track, skipping turns 5-9 in the process. The one round at Shanghai did something similar, running through the infield as opposed to the proper circuit (though it wasn't shortened as drastically as Manama will be). There are, of course, others circuits you could run at - Mallala, Calder Park and Lakeside all spring to mind - but they're mostly run-down and dilapidated. Wakefield Park is another alternative, but I don't know much about the place.

It strikes me as odd, though, that our racing circuits are so short. If ever you'd seen the tail end of the grid lining up (and it's rare to see it) at the likes of Barbagallo and Symmonds Plains, they're a long way around the circuit from the actual start line. There's some 32 cars that routinely line up from 17 teams and the circuits simply aren't able to hold them all.

In fact, I'd give a total overhaul to the entire calendar is we want to be taken seriously:
- Barbagallo, Pukekohe, Winton, the Ipswich Paperclip, Sandown, Surfers and Symmonds Plains would all get the chop. I'd tear them down after building larger (and in the case of Queensland Raceway, more inspiring and interesting) circuits. Hermann Tilke would not be consulted in this process. I'd do this because Barbagallo, Pukekohe, Winton and Symmonds Plains are too short; Surfers is too narrow; and Ipswich and Sandown too boring.
- New races could be held in every state (and the Land of the Long White Cloud) bearing the philosophy of "the more challenigng the races are for drivers, the more exciting the races are" as opposed to the Paperclip's ethos of "the more of the track the spectators can see, the more interesting the races will be".
- International races will be kept, possibly getting the China race back online. Manama would be kept, and I'd look into racing at Sepang and possibly a race in Japan. In return, the likes of SuperGT could hold races here, kind of like sister-championships (and we could even have a V8 Supercar vs SuperGT non-championship race somewhere like Bathurst). These international races would be run at full course length (seriously, they miss the fun bits of Manama).
- Street races would become a regular fixture, but they would not be narrow and dangerous like Canberra and Surfers Paradise.
- There would be more driver input as to the calendar selection; gotta keep the point-men happy.
- Mark Skaife and Rick Kelly would be banned from racing because I say so. I know it has nothing to do with the calendar but both are arrogant and both whinge.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Why the hell is Bahrain getting shorterned for the V8 supercars? The full length track is short enough.

You should add Eastern Creek and Oran Park to GP full length as well. However, both need upgrades on general facilities. Eastern Creek is a dump!
99% of our tracks need an overhaul, track re-design, general facilities and transportation around the areas.
Yes, our tracks are short, a lap can be done in less than a minute. But a lot of tracks overseas have the back end grid positions that start around a corner, Spa - Francorchamps does.

I'm really not a big fan of international races. Wouldn't mind removing Bahrain and replacing it with a track like Suzuka or something. Maybe a race in Europe?

Remove - Bahrain, Symmonds Plains (impossible to overtake there), Barbagallo, Winton, Hidden Valley, Queensland Raceway.
Also, change the test tracks. I don't think that they should be allowed to race at test tracks. It produces some very boring racing. Especially when things are so controlled, like they are in V8s.

I'd like the Canberra Street race to come back. I always enjoyed that. I like street racing, but sometimes it can be over done. Theres needs to be a careful balance between circuits and street racing.

ObjectsInSpace said:
Mark Skaife and Rick Kelly would be banned from racing because I say so. I know it has nothing to do with the calendar but both are arrogant and both whinge.
Hahaha. Love it!
Can we get rid of Ingall too? And Paul Morris and Dumbrell too?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
GP-length circuits are 4-5km in length; the shortest GP circuit is Monaco at 3.78km. Manama is 5-point-something kilometres long, but getting shortened down to about 3.5-ish.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Why are you calling it Manama?

Manama is the capital of Bahrain. The actual track is found at Sakhir.

Either way, V8 supercars should not be going there. I'm not going to get back into that debate either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)