Veronica Mars (US Airings) (1 Viewer)

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
midnight said:
It's totally brilliant. I don't think I've ever read anything that says it's a bad show. :)

It would rate better on Ten than on Nine, but, I don't know, I think it's a bit too 'intellectual' for Ten. And I'm biased. :p
The main problem with it being on Nine is that it doesn't fit well in their schedule. It'd probably be rated M, so they couldn't put it at 7:30; their 8:30 is too busy and 9:30 onwards is starting to lose the younger viewers, and is putting the adults off because ostensibly it's a high school show. Although it could stand to do well if it had a super-high-rating lead in like CSI etc.
You have to hand it to Rob Thomas, he's created the most fantastic show that is really difficult to promote.
Hmm well its safe to be put at 7.30 it would get a PG classification with classification warning before the show. I've seen worse things on home and away!

I think it would be very easy to promote. Just focus on the big picture, the murder of lilly Kane and veronica and how her world got turned up-side-down.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
routemarker said:
Hmm well its safe to be put at 7.30 it would get a PG classification with classification warning before the show. I've seen worse things on home and away!

I think it would be very easy to promote. Just focus on the big picture, the murder of lilly Kane and veronica and how her world got turned up-side-down.
i don't know how much you've seen, but this show definitely goes beyond PG at times

routemarker

HSC
crazyhomo said:
i don't know how much you've seen, but this show definitely goes beyond PG at times
lol true, episode 4 i think with the dreams, very steamy. You know cut out the sex and ease up on the violence and it looks like a typical show that would be on abc kids at 5pm :p

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
The two main season-long story arcs are about rape and murder. It can get quite confronting and scary [well I find Lilly very creepy] at times. Considering they won't even say 'rape' on Home and Away, PG isn't that much of a step up. You definitely haven't seen worse things on H&A. The last two episodes of the season are especially bad in terms of what they deal with. Adult themes galore.

A show about a girl who is in high school, works as a PI, is investigating her friend's murder and was raped...how can you think that's easy to promote?
To me the premise sounds quite silly/cheesy. Most people that I know started watching the show just because they heard about the great writing/acting, and not because of what they knew about the plot. It has a lot of fluffy, light-hearted material but it's also very serious.

If you still think the same after you've seen the whole season then you're entitled to believe that. But really, if you'd seen it all I doubt you'd think it's so tame.

routemarker

HSC
midnight said:
A show about a girl who is in high school, works as a PI, is investigating her friend's murder and was raped...how can you think that's easy to promote?
To me the premise sounds quite silly/cheesy. Most people that I know started watching the show just because they heard about the great writing/acting, and not because of what they knew about the plot. It has a lot of fluffy, light-hearted material but it's also very serious.

If you still think the same after you've seen the whole season then you're entitled to believe that. But really, if you'd seen it all I doubt you'd think it's so tame.
Well im half way through. But on that premise it is very easy to promote. It has substance, it may deal with controvercial issues like rape and murder but take a look at CSI or even Cold Case. It is very light hearted but very gripping.

Promotion is the easy part, very easy. What is pivotal is to stop viewers switching off until the plot has been revealed. Promos would have to deal with the main plot of lillys murder and how it made everything crumble for everyone concerned. Put a stirring emotional sound track, some fades to black with a good dramatic Voice over and it could strike a chord with many viewers. Just remember how Desperate Housewives was promoted, suicide in the first 5 minutes!

You're making out this show to be as confronting as OZ which i think is pretty tame (athough there's way too much male nudity). The show is rated PG, Cold Case on CBS airs at 8/7c, deals with much more adult issues with much less lighthearted material to dilute it. It is at times rated TV-14.

I dont know what you've seen but i do agree, the show would get an M rating and would only be suitable post 8.30. Ten would love to have this, i think they should partner with nines Warner Bros output deal to get shows aimed at teen audiences.

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
Wow.
I meant that it's confronting for younger teenagers. Ten instantly makes me think of Big Brother and The OC. It's the sort of thing that 13 year old girls are into. The fact that it has substance makes it less interesting to that sort of audience.
I think that when shows like The OC deal with the 'confronting' issues that VM does it just seems lame, contrived and poorly acted. But it gives the target audience what it wants. VM only gives the audience what they want after they've done every other scenario they could.
I dislike Nine more than the average person but I would prefer VM on Nine over Ten. I've always said that it's a Seven show. I just can't get over the fact that people who are slightly older than Ten's target audience would be likely to say "it's a show about a high school girl, I'm a bit old for that".

The fact that it did poorly in the US makes me think that perhaps UPN struggled to promote it against popular shows, to get sustained interest. Audiences there did tune out after a few episodes because they obviously felt that not enough was being given to them. [In a way I think the original pilot might have worked better in this respect, although I don't know what that would mean for the end of the season]
I didn't compare VM to CSI or any other crime dramas because they're crime dramas. VM is partly about the MotW but episodes follow on from each other. If you say "you'll like this show if you like CSI" it's not necessarily true.
And Desperate Housewives' success here probably has links to its success in the US and the way it would have featured in magazines here. It happened with Lost. That and Seven made sure that every. single. person. who owns a television knew that both of those shows were coming.

I think my main point is that I don't think it has to be a show for teen audiences, but that it could be popular with a wider demographic. By boxing it into a teen category it cheapens the show. Rant rant. :p

routemarker

HSC
midnight said:
Wow.
I meant that it's confronting for younger teenagers. Ten instantly makes me think of Big Brother and The OC. I dislike Nine more than the average person but I would prefer VM on Nine over Ten. I've always said that it's a Seven show. I just can't get over the fact that people who are slightly older than Ten's target audience would be likely to say "it's a show about a high school girl, I'm a bit old for that".
The show is very broad appeal i must say, but you know programming departments, sometimes they just want to bludge and not make a genuine attempt at a show they know might not deliver. Interesting taht you mention it could be for seven, sounds to me VM could be made to fit in at 8.30 Friday as counter programming. fact is nine have iat and since the OC bombed with them they are not inclined to try it out. I think a summer primetime spot would be it.

midnight said:
The fact that it did poorly in the US makes me think that perhaps UPN struggled to promote it against popular shows, to get sustained interest. Audiences there did tune out after a few episodes because they obviously felt that not enough was being given to them. [In a way I think the original pilot might have worked better in this respect, although I don't know what that would mean for the end of the season]
Doesn't everything on UPN bomb? Don't expect anything to win its timeslot on UPN because if it did that show would have been signed up to air on CBS! UPN are infact happy with its performance and has been signed up for a second season.
midnight said:
I think my main point is that I don't think it has to be a show for teen audiences, but that it could be popular with a wider demographic. By boxing it into a teen category it cheapens the show. Rant rant. :p
Hence why i noted promotion should focus on the big picture, death of lilly kane and seperation of leeane and Keith and how they are outcast.

Above all its a great show, loving it! If only i had access to such databases i could solve mysteries like her too :p

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Well, what an unlikely favourite this show has been. I don't usually like crime shows but as you have said before it mixes it up and is not really a pure crime show but ore of a crime mystery. When I first heard/read about this show it was getting so many good reviews that I just couldn't ignore it. So I headed over to the then www.tvtome.com (now www.tv.com as I am sure you would all be aware of anyway) and was very unimpressed with the plot outline and so I let it go. Anyway, I kept reading the glowing reviews couldn't continue to ignore them. At first I wasn't very impressed by the acting but the story was well written and held my interest but pretty soon I just began to associate their flaws with the characters (with the exception of Duncan who I think is the weakest actor on the show). Most of the season was slow moving though, with basically everything being revealed in the last episode with few clues given throughout the season but I guess that is how it goes when all the lies begin to crumble and all the pieces begin to fit. A slow moving series would usually frustrate me but I think this show didn't worry me as much because I watched most of the season three of four episodes at a time. Now on to the good stuff:D.

I only just got to watch the finale because as I said I got into this show late (I can't understand how much time you guys much spend watching television:p). When Jake Kane told Duncan that he was the one who killed Lilly I really did believe it even though I see how stupid I was now because of how early in the episode it was revealed and the lack of build up. I never believed that Logan did it either, it just didn't seem to fit. I also kind of expected that Duncan and Veronica weren't siblings to come out. I don't know why Duncan's family were so sure about it:confused:.

I do feel sorry for Logan though, I think he is a pretty good guy. He has been raised by an obviously disturbed guy and only cut Veronica off because of his grief over Lilly's murder. Given that, I was very surprised to see that Logan wasn't intending to secretly record Veronica and himself because I always thought that he had some ulterior motif for dating Veronica but I guess I was wrong:).

Actually, those tapes that Veronica found don't prove that Aaron Echolls murdered Lilly Kane do they, and he never confessed (apart from to Veronica). So while they do have proof that he was sleeping with Lilly Kane they can't prove that he actually murdered her, right:confused:?

At first I thought it had to be Duncan at the door because that is who Veronica truly deeply loves but then I thought that it might be Wallace and she was glad that he was there so she could have someone there to talk to and comfort her. Now I am thinking that Duncan could do that too so my final guess if that is was Duncan at the door:cool:.

Another small thing, if Lilly's secret was that she was sleeping with Aaron Echolls, does that mean that she was not sleeping with Weevil or was she with all three of them:p?

I don't know how they are going to continue on with the show in season two. It is like they thought it wasn't gong to be renewed for a second season and so wrapped basically everything up:p. As midnight said earlier though, they are going to have another mystery for season two but I don't think that is in the spirit of the show. I came to associate the show with the murder mystery of Lilly Kane. Anyway, it will be hard to better that is for sure:).

By the way, I don't know if you have heard but the season two premier has been pushed back a week to 28 September:(.

P.S. I hope Lianne Mars dies over the break:mad:.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Geez, no responses:p. That post took me ages to wright, I think it at least deserves a courtesy response:p.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
well, i'm pretty sure she was sleeping with all of them. she didn't seem like the kind of girl who was too picky about fidelity. and i do hope the show can survive the revelation of lily kane's murderer. when laura palmer's murderer was revealed in twin peaks the show pretty much went to shit

*crosses fingers*

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
SoCal said:
Actually, those tapes that Veronica found don't prove that Aaron Echolls murdered Lilly Kane do they, and he never confessed (apart from to Veronica). So while they do have proof that he was sleeping with Lilly Kane they can't prove that he actually murdered her, right:confused:?
This was the main point I was hoping someone would answer;).

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
SoCal said:
This was the main point I was hoping someone would answer;).
it's been ages since i watched the finale, so i can't exactly remember. but even if they couldn't prove he killed lily kane, i'm pretty sure he would go down for veronica's attempted murder. but the tape definitely puts him down as a suspect when he previously wasn't

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Yeah, I am probably being a bit pedantic. I am just interested to see whether they will start season two with him convicted or whether they he will be on trial:).

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
well, as far as i know, he isn't on the season two cast list, so they will probably make a passing mention to him and leave it at that. i wonder if logan is sticking around though...

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
If Aaron confessed to Veronica that he killed Lilly then it's not like she couldn't testify at his trial [since he didn't succeed in killing Veronica]. The tapes prove that he had a motive. And he wouldn't have an alibi.
And as crazyhomo said, shutting someone in a fridge and setting them on fire is criminal behaviour too. ;)

Lilly was definitely sleeping with Logan, Aaron and Weevil. Maybe not concurrently, but she was.

I don't think that season 2 is going to be bad because there's no more Lilly murder to solve.
The writers for VM are great, and they've already said that they have a new Mystery-of-the-Season that they're happy with so I'm going to trust that.

I doubt that they would spend season 2 putting Aaron on trial because it just wastes too much time [and money]. When season 2 starts it's pretty much beginning in the new school year, and so it's probably going to be easiest to assume that Aaron is already in jail.

Jason Dohring is contracted to be in all episodes in season 2, so we'll definitely be seeing Logan.
There's a whole heap of new people joining the cast, and although it sounds like there are going to be far too many new characters it also sounds like it's going to keep the show interesting.

Lianne is a bitch and a half.

Less than 2 months until the DVDs are out. :D

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
you know, i'm kinda wondering how logan is handling the knowledge that his dad not only had an affair with his girlfriend, but killed her too...

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
midnight said:
If Aaron confessed to Veronica that he killed Lilly then it's not like she couldn't testify at his trial [since he didn't succeed in killing Veronica]. The tapes prove that he had a motive. And he wouldn't have an alibi.
And as crazyhomo said, shutting someone in a fridge and setting them on fire is criminal behaviour too. ;)
Veronica's testimony doesn't prove anything. I would hardly say that they would have 'proof without reasonable doubt'. Anyway, yes I will drop it:p.

midnight said:
Jason Dohring is contracted to be in all episodes in season 2, so we'll definitely be seeing Logan.
So he obviously didn't jump. Well, as crazyhomo said, if he wasn't already troubled he is going to have some issues when he finds out the truth:eek:.

midnight said:
Less than 2 months until the DVDs are out. :D
I doubt I will get the boxed set, unless it has a lot of good extras:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I think you will find it has been pushed back a week, to September 28:(.

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
I didn't realise that I needed a law degree to speculate on a TV show.

VM was moved back for an extended America's Next Top Model premiere, and presumably because Lost is starting on the 21st.
Stupid Lost ruining all VM's scheduled dates. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)