View on Drugs (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Drugs which are good for your body and for which you have a legitimate prescription from a doctor are probably okay to take. Drugs which are illicit are always bad for you and you should avoid them. Sure, you might argue alcohol is worse than weed, but it is similar but not identical to arguing that being deaf is better than being blind. This is a good analogy to the extent that both things have a real and noticeable negative effect on your body. Notice how I said "to the extent that": no analogy is perfect, and of course I am not saying that taking weed has the same effect as being deaf. I am saying that they are both bad for you in real and noticeable terms. Anyone supporting the use of illicit drugs I simply cannot agree with. The law as it stands now is that drugs including marijuana are illegal.
Marijuana has legitimate medicinal uses and prescriptions have gained traction where it has been legalised.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
So..you're still wrong?
how

most of the dangers of marijuana listed in that article have little to do with the drug itself and more to do with how it's used or consumed. Whilst alcohol for example has more direct carcinogenic effects, marijuana isn't really that high level a carcinogen in itself, it's more about how it is consumed

not to mention people have died from alcohol overdoses yet not a single person has died of a marijuana overdose iirc

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
thats irrelevant
how is that irrelevant at all

if most of the dangers associated with marijuana are due to how it is consumed rather than it's direct effects, if marijuana has lower addiction potential than alcohol and causes less health issues then how is it more dangerous?

In fact, if it was legalised, you could regulate the manufacture of it and thus provide a safer and cleaner product that can reduce it's "danger" on your health

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
how is that irrelevant at all

if most of the dangers associated with marijuana are due to how it is consumed rather than it's direct effects... how is it more dangerous?
marijuana certain harm, doesnt matter if its how its consumed or direct effects

guns kill people because of how they're used. there's nothing magical about a hunk of metal that causes harm to people through mere contact

therefore guns are safe

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
marijuana certain harm, doesnt matter if its how its consumed or direct effects

guns kill people because of how they're used. there's nothing magical about a hunk of metal that causes harm to people through mere contact

therefore guns are safe
comparing firearms to chemicals is a terrible analogy

also no one denies marijuana causes harm, the entire point of what ozko said was that it causes no more harm than alcohol

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
comparing firearms to chemicals is a terrible analogy
its not even that though, its about the irrelevancy of whether something is "directly" dangerous or dangerous from how its used. harm is still present

also no one denies marijuana causes harm, the entire point of what ozko said was that it causes no more harm than alcohol
i didnt say that you dont think it causes harm, but you were basing your argument of marijuana being safer than alcohol on direct/"how its used" harm

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
its not even that though, its about the irrelevancy of whether something is "directly" dangerous or dangerous from how its used. harm is still present

i didnt say that you dont think it causes harm, but you were basing your argument of marijuana being safer than alcohol on direct/"how its used" harm
well no it isn't cos a gun can only be used in one way, the manufacture is regulated etc. which isn't the same with marijuana

the argument is that marijuana itself is less dangerous than alcohol because the drug itself has less negative impacts on your health, marijuana itself has less impacts, smoking it is what causes ill effects on health, the lack of regulation exacerbates this because you get dirtier products (if anything this means if legalised it will certainly be safer), and even accounting for this, the effects it has on your health relative to alcohol (addiction potential, mortality due to overdose, carcinogenic potential) etc. is less

i agree that marijuana certainly causes harm, however i think it's perfectly valid to say the impacts it has on society in terms of health, violent behaviour etc. is far less than alcohol has

wellladida

HSC
N/A
I dont like drugs, I've seen really awesome people get on ice over last couple of years and they became like different people after a while, and they look really unhealthy and skinny now

HSC
N/A
The word "drugs" has various shades of meanings.

1. From a technical, scientific view, it includes drugs bought with a doctor's prescription such as Asthma medication, as well as drugs which are currently illegal such as methamphetamine.

2. From an ordinary person point of view (which is scientifically inaccurate), the term "drugs" excludes legitimate drugs and includes only those illegal drugs mentioned earlier.

I'll address my viewpoints with respect to both kinds of meanings.

Drugs bought with a doctor's prescription should be legal to possess because there are people who genuinely need to be treated for whatever medical issue they have. However, drugs which are currently illegal such as methamphetamine should never become legal, for several reasons. First, since those drugs are usually addictive, its legalisation can (but not necessarily) encourage more people to try them out, leading over time to social decay. Second, it's not an issue of human rights or valuing freedom, because drugs have effects on the mind, and those affects have been clearly demonstrated to control behaviour, especially leading to violent behaviour and serious withdrawal symptoms involving violence as well. Third, as a country in the 21st century we should strive for the betterment of the human race, rather than cling to ideas of freedom at the expense of lowering human health.

Having said that, there are good arguments for the legalisation of drugs which are already illegal. These counter-arguments ought to be recognised if we are to have a serious discussion regarding legalisation. As you all know there are many (but not all) incidents where police officers have planted drugs to win convictions. Obviously this is a problem and there is not much that can be done to overcome it. Once the prosecution proves that you were in possession of the drugs, whether you had knowledge or not, it is very difficult to rebut that presumption in court. Legalisation seems like the only answer to overcome such a problem. There are also rational mind theories which suggest that legalisation will not encourage many people to take up drugs. The theory says that taking illegal drugs are irrational, so it won't matter if it's legal or not.

That's my view on drugs.

Of course, the debate is not that clear cut. There are good arguments for either side and I feel a genuine person can hold either view. My view is more for currently illegal drugs to remain illegal, and for people to be able to purchase drugs at a chemist with a doctor's prescription.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
The word "drugs" has various shades of meanings.

1. From a technical, scientific view, it includes drugs bought with a doctor's prescription such as Asthma medication, as well as drugs which are currently illegal such as methamphetamine.

2. From an ordinary person point of view (which is scientifically inaccurate), the term "drugs" excludes legitimate drugs and includes only those illegal drugs mentioned earlier.

I'll address my viewpoints with respect to both kinds of meanings.

Drugs bought with a doctor's prescription should be legal to possess because there are people who genuinely need to be treated for whatever medical issue they have. However, drugs which are currently illegal such as methamphetamine should never become legal, for several reasons. First, since those drugs are usually addictive, its legalisation can (but not necessarily) encourage more people to try them out, leading over time to social decay. Second, it's not an issue of human rights or valuing freedom, because drugs have effects on the mind, and those affects have been clearly demonstrated to control behaviour, especially leading to violent behaviour and serious withdrawal symptoms involving violence as well. Third, as a country in the 21st century we should strive for the betterment of the human race, rather than cling to ideas of freedom at the expense of lowering human health.

Having said that, there are good arguments for the legalisation of drugs which are already illegal. These counter-arguments ought to be recognised if we are to have a serious discussion regarding legalisation. As you all know there are many (but not all) incidents where police officers have planted drugs to win convictions. Obviously this is a problem and there is not much that can be done to overcome it. Once the prosecution proves that you were in possession of the drugs, whether you had knowledge or not, it is very difficult to rebut that presumption in court. Legalisation seems like the only answer to overcome such a problem. There are also rational mind theories which suggest that legalisation will not encourage many people to take up drugs. The theory says that taking illegal drugs are irrational, so it won't matter if it's legal or not.

That's my view on drugs.

Of course, the debate is not that clear cut. There are good arguments for either side and I feel a genuine person can hold either view. My view is more for currently illegal drugs to remain illegal, and for people to be able to purchase drugs at a chemist with a doctor's prescription.
Weed should be legal, but I believe it should be used for it's medicinal purposes and be obtained through a doctor. Other illicit drugs are probably harmful and should remain illegal.
On the other hand, tobacco should be illegal lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)