• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Virginia Tech Shootings (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Re: Virginia Tech Shootings

yankeechica said:
Exactly these idiots who call for legislation or restrictions on gun really believe that Criminals will be stopped from obtaining guns!
Even if it didn't acheive a reduction in gun crime rates, I think it would still be a highly admirable thing to try out. It seems to have worked elsewhere though, so they may as well try it out. Better late than never (although I guess it's a bit late for a few people)

I saw an australian student being interviewed by Channel 7 today 2nite live on TV and she said she felt safer in Virginia tech uni campus than walking on the street of brisbane. She also said it is the most beautiful place she has ever been to.
Awesome. Your point?

By the way, the gunman was a chinese student from China. Not an American. Does than mean Chinese students are generally dangerous and mentally unstable people who kills people over an argument with their girlfriend?
No, it means that a Chinese student went to another country, obtained a firearm from some convinience store in a state that doesn't have a legal waiting period and went on a rampage, killing people. That act could have been averted if this average student with no previous criminal record (thereby making your idiotic point above concerning gangland crime), much like most mass murderers, wasn't able to obtain a firearm so easily. Yes, he may have been able to get one eventually, but with a system with sufficient checks in place, gun violence would be decreased. At the very least, it's worth a try.

jbnc said:
great work dude hit me with some of the Ad hominems gb 2 western sydney (or north korea, whatever you prefer)
I love the way you totally didn't respond to any of the actual points I made in the post, and instead replied with nothing BUT ad hominem attacks. You go girl!

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

YankeeChica said:
Exactly these idiots who call for legislation or restrictions on gun really believe that Criminals will be stopped from obtaining guns!

Australia's tough laws does not stop criminals from getting guns and gang land execution continues to happen just a week ago in melbourne.

I saw an australian student being interviewed by Channel 7 today 2nite live on TV and she said she felt safer in Virginia tech uni campus than walking on the street of brisbane. She also said it is the most beautiful place she has ever been to.

By the way, the gunman was a chinese student from China. Not an American. Does than mean Chinese students are generally dangerous and mentally unstable people who kills people over an argument with their girlfriend?
Deaths from guns in Australia are heaps rarer than they are in America, mainly because of the laws we have.

The fact that you've used today tonight as a source... Need I say more?

The gunman was of chinese descent, I don't believe it said whether or not he was born in the US or not. Either way it's irrelevant, but I'm sure you wouldn't be using that as an argument if the shooter had been Arab.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

jb_nc said:
what about throwing knives
Are you serious??

1. Slower than a bullet
2. Don't explode on impact
3. Less precise than a gun.

EDIT: you also need one knife handy for every throw.

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

how many more people do you think would have died if 50% of the people in classrooms had been CCW? 1 million? yeah, probably.

dagwoman said:
Are you serious??

1. Slower than a bullet
2. Don't explode on impact
3. Less precise than a gun.
what happens if a heaps awesome samurai uses it

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

Nebuchanezzar said:
I love the way you totally didn't respond to any of the actual points I made in the post, and instead replied with nothing BUT ad hominem attacks. You go girl!
are the majority of gun deaths from legally or illegal obtained firearms

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

are the majority of gun deaths from legally or illegal obtained firearms
Are we appealing to the majority here? Is that relevant?

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

Nebuchanezzar said:
Are we appealing to the majority here? Is that relevant?
uh yes...

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

I really don't think that banning guns based on say, 32 deaths is any lesser issue than banning guns based on say, 1000+ deaths. A death is a death, and quite frankly one is too many.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

Nebuchanezzar said:
I really don't think that banning guns based on say, 32 deaths is any lesser issue than banning guns based on say, 1000+ deaths. A death is a death, and quite frankly one is too many.
have knives killed more than one person? ban knives

xXeMoxXxCoRexX

you can't be half as emo
on a grassy knoll, overlooking the dregs of the lu
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
So assuming there's at least 1 murder by firearm every day in the world (which we can say for sure there is)

we should be seeing this knee-jerk reaction from you every day

but we don't, it's just when there happens to be a certain nutcase who would have almost certainly have done this regardless of laws (considering how much thought seems to have been put into the act)

again remember the millions of gun owners in the world that didn't commit a crime today or any other day

YankeeChica

Banned
HSC

dagwoman said:
Deaths from guns in Australia are heaps rarer than they are in America, mainly because of the laws we have.

The fact that you've used today tonight as a source... Need I say more?

The gunman was of chinese descent, I don't believe it said whether or not he was born in the US or not. Either way it's irrelevant, but I'm sure you wouldn't be using that as an argument if the shooter had been Arab.
so rare that more than 30 people killed in a single incident just like in america.

By the way Car accidents killed more people than guns in america every year, by your logic, ban them LOL :rofl:

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

YankeeChica said:
so rare that more than 30 people killed in a single incident just like in america.

By the way Car accidents killed more people than guns in america every year, by your logic, ban them LOL :rofl:
If you'd bothered to read my comments refuting an almost equally as stupid analgoy re: cars, you wouldn't have bothered to write that.

Cars are used to transport people and goods. They allow movement at a much faster speed and thus faster communication etc. Deaths involving cars are not acts of violence. If someone is at fault, they are punished. For example, drunk driving is illegal. There are limitations on driving- strict specifications for gaining a license, then speed limits, etc.

Guns were invented just to injure or kill.

I can't go any further on this because it's just ridiculous to argue why guns should be banned but cars shouldn't. If you can't understand that, no one here can help you.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC

YankeeChica said:
Guns are not a necessity in modern society.

Cars are required to transport resources and millions of people to work each day.

Huge difference.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

wheredanton said:
Guns are not a necessity in modern society.

Cars are required to transport resources and millions of people to work each day.

Huge difference.
Why do the police have guns if they are 'not a necessity'? Why not use blow-up hammers and air horns to get the job done?

dagwoman said:
Answer this question: Do you think that if some of the university students were carrying concealed weapons (CCW) in the rooms where the shooter was, do you think the number of people killed would be lower or higher? This is not a troll.

Last edited:

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

I think it probably would have been the same. If I had to choose either more or less, I would say more. College students aren't experienced with guns, let alone a situation like this, and it is more than likely the person with the gun would not have shot the attacker first go, leading to more frantic shooting from both parties, escalating the situation.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

dagwoman said:
I think it probably would have been the same. If I had to choose either more or less, I would say more. College students aren't experienced with guns, let alone a situation like this, and it is more than likely the person with the gun would not have shot the attacker first go, leading to more frantic shooting from both parties, escalating the situation.
The person who murdered the innocent people was a university student. You don't have to be professional trained to gain some proficiency in weapon's handling.

Last edited:

Legham

HSC

dagwoman said:
Not true. As Homer clearly demonstrates, guns can be used to turn on your TV as well!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

So assuming there's at least 1 murder by firearm every day in the world (which we can say for sure there is)

we should be seeing this knee-jerk reaction from you every day

but we don't, it's just when there happens to be a certain nutcase who would have almost certainly have done this regardless of laws (considering how much thought seems to have been put into the act)

again remember the millions of gun owners in the world that didn't commit a crime today or any other day
Knee jerk reaction my ass. People have been talking about it for years. Quite frankly, I couldn't give two tosses about somer douchebag concerned about his "precious, precious gun", over a few dead people. Evidently, you do. Meh.

have knives killed more than one person? ban knives
Agreed. Let's ban knives then. While we're at it, we'll ban guns. You lose.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC

jb_nc said:
Why do the police have guns if they are 'not a necessity'?
You can't distinguish the difference between an ordinary citizen and a police officer and their respective roles in society?

In any case I used necessity in the context of everyone in society. It is not necessary for everyone in society to carry guns.

Answer this question. Do you think that if some of the university students were carrying concealed weapons (CCW), do you think the number of people killed would be lower or higher? This is not a troll.
Probably lower. Who knows? the ensuring gun battle could have claimed more lives? He may have only killed a few. He may have killed more. He could use the dead persons weapons to kill more.

But I don't think it would have been as clean as some suggest. It certainly wouldn't have stopped this person from going on a rampage considering the prospect of death didn't him.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

jb_nc said:
The person who murdered the innocent people was a university student. You don't have to be professional trained to gain some proficiency in weapon's handling.
You do have to be a professional to know if, when and how you should go about shooting someone armed, especially when other people are around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)