• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Virginia Tech Shootings (Merged) (2 Viewers)

volition

arr.
HSC
Re: Virginia Tech Shootings

dagwoman said:
Do you know how much more likely and common it is for someone to be accidentally killed or injured by people havings guns that it is that someone's going to shoot down a potential murderer?
I'll take you up on that, what stats have you got?

Because I remember reading one particular stat that guns are used about 2 million times a year in the US to deter attackers, and in 90% of those cases, brandishing the weapon or firing a warning shot was enough to deter the attacker.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

Here are some stats:

http://www.neahin.org/programs/schoolsafety/gunsafety/statistics.htm#children

Also:

An FBI report,"Crime in the United States, 1973" states that a gun kept in the home for self-defense is six times more likely to be used in a deliberate or accidental homicide involving a relative or friend than a burglar or unlawful intruder. More recently, criminologist Arthur Kellerman declared that for every case of gun use for self defense, there are 43 instances where guns are used in suicides, homicides and accidental deaths. But that number may be a bit conservative. According to Federal statistics, for every time a handgun is used by a citizen to kill a criminal, 118 innocent people are killed in handgun murders, suicides and accidents. Studies have shown that people who keep guns at home nearly TRIPLE their chances of being murdered. Whats more, a gun kept at home is 37 times more likely to be used to commit suicide than to be used for self defense.

And:

http://pearlyabraham.tripod.com/htmls/myth-guns2.html

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC

deliberate or accidental homicide involving a relative or friend than a burglar or unlawful intruder
I take it that quote includes stats from when a this relative or friend is trying to rape her?

America is losing too many children to gun violence. Between 1979 and 2001, gunfire killed 90,000 children and teens in America. (Children's Defense Fund and National Center for Health Statistics)
In america a child is someone below the age of 18. Do you remember back in the early 90's when gang violence was abosutely crazy? 90% of those deaths are teens in gangs killing each other. Shit half the time they dont even use a manufactored gun, they use a zip gun[a peice of shit weopon made from piping and other crap that half the time blows up]

Between 1994 and 1999, there were 220 school associated violent events resulting in 253 deaths - - 74.5% of these involved firearms. Handguns caused almost 60% of these deaths. (Journal of American Medical Association, December 2001)
In 1998-99 academic year, 3,523 students were expelled for bringing a firearm to school. This is a decrease from the 5,724 students expelled in 1996-97 for bringing a firearm to school. (U.S. Department of Education, October 2000)
Nearly 8% of adolescents in urban junior and senior high schools miss at least one day of school each month because they are afraid to attend. (National Mental Health & Education Center for Children & Families, National Association of School Psychologists 1998)
The National School Boards Association estimates that more than 135,000 guns are brought into U.S. schools each day. (NSBA, 1993)
Wouldnt that just be even more reason to allow teachers and other responsable adults to carry guns?
The second point is bullshit, america has a zero tolerance attitude towards guns. You can get expelled for writing about guns in a short story, one kid on the tuckermax forum got in a heap of shit for bringing a book to school called something like "small arms of the world" which was about handguns like glocks etc.
Kids miss school all the time, its called bullying. It happened at my school, and american schools have a much larger bullying problem than here.

Man iam getting too angry reading that website. The shitistics they give are totally bunk. What a politically motivated heap of shit.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

Serius said:
90% of those deaths are teens in gangs killing each other. Shit half the time they dont even use a manufactored gun, they use a zip gun[a peice of shit weopon made from piping and other crap that half the time blows up]
Interesting statistics you've provided, too.

And I see you've ignored my other sources.

Last edited:

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC

Dagwoman-thanks for finding those stats.
onebytwo said:
only in america
Yeah, someone mentioned Port Arthur. The worst school massacre (I can think of) that happened in Australia was 5 years ago when a gunmen shot dead 2 classmates at Monash Uni. down in Victoria.

blahmeh said:
this is a major thing that has been coming up all the time in debates and stuff, its been on around for a while- to enfore STRICTER gun ownerships laws.

This massacre, hopefully should have just slapped America to their senses- Regarding gun ownership laws.
True. We only think about the toughness of laws when these things happen. They should pass tougher laws, like, tomorrow.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC

well heres the legislation that would have saved 31 lives
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly...

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus.
Yes indeed, i am sure the parents, students, faculty and visitors felt incredibly safe today.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

Serius said:
well heres the legislation that would have saved 31 lives
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

Yes indeed, i am sure the parents, students, faculty and visitors felt incredibly safe today.
Yeah. If only there were more guns on campus, those people would save us from massacres by being at the exact place of the incident and have the presence of mind to confront the attacker and shoot.

Your argument is "protect people from the danger of guns by allowing more people to have them."

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

this should be a warning to allow all colleges in america to CCW.

if a student had been carrying perhaps an ak-47 or even a RPG the gunman would have thought twice.

dagwoman said:
Yeah. If only there were more guns on campus, those people would save us from massacres by being at the exact place of the incident and have the presence of mind to confront the attacker and shoot.

Your argument is "protect people from the danger of guns by allowing more people to have them."
wow, im sure all criminals buy their firearms legally at teh local gun shop. i mean, being criminals and all they sure wouldn't break the law.

Last edited:

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

The kids from Columbine got their firearms legally. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case for this massacre, too.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

dagwoman said:
The kids from Columbine got their firearms legally. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case for this massacre, too.
wow really. someone killed someone with a knife too. let's ban all knives too.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

And if a student had been carrying a gun, more than likely the situation would escalated. Not many college kids know how to handle gunmen on a rampage.

Your knife analogy is just stupid.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

dagwoman said:
And if a student had been carrying a gun, more than likely the situation would escalated. Not many college kids know how to handle gunmen on a rampage.

Your knife analogy is just stupid.
wtf? 'escalated' to what? he killed 30 people i think that's about as far as it goes. i think the idea is to point at his head and shoot to kill him so he doesn't murder any more people

why is the knife analogy stupid. they are both weapons which can be used responsible and irresponsibly

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Heh. I've heard the knife analogy before. Generally, only complete fucktards, clutching to their defeated views bring it up. Pray jb_nc, do tell of how much harder it is to kill someone with a knife, than with a gun. Also explain why, with knifes and guns being somewhat legal in America, why the majority of people choose to kill their beloved prey with a firearm.

Douchebag.

Onto the subject at hand. Yep, tragedy, maybe now they'll consider banning firearms. What is patriotism when 32 people are dead for very little reason?

YankeeChica

Banned
HSC

Exactly these idiots who call for legislation or restrictions on gun really believe that Criminals will be stopped from obtaining guns!

Australia's tough laws does not stop criminals from getting guns and gang land execution continues to happen just a week ago in melbourne.

I saw an australian student being interviewed by Channel 7 today 2nite live on TV and she said she felt safer in Virginia tech uni campus than walking on the street of brisbane. She also said it is the most beautiful place she has ever been to.

By the way, the gunman was a chinese student from China. Not an American. Does than mean Chinese students are generally dangerous and mentally unstable people who kills people over an argument with their girlfriend?

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

Hmm, let's see...

You have to have physical contact to knife someone, it's pretty difficult to stab someone in the head (i.e. if someone is stabbed they are unlikely to die instantly and may have the chance to be helped), and knives are used for many different things other than injuring or killing an animal or human. You can't ban knives.

Guns on the other hand do not require contact, they can be used from far away, they are much more damaging, are able to injure more people at one time, and have no use but to kill or injure.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

dagwoman said:
Hmm, let's see...

You have to have physical contact to knife someone, it's pretty difficult to stab someone in the head (i.e. if someone is stabbed they are unlikely to die instantly and may have the chance to be helped), and knives are used for many different things other than injuring or killing an animal or human. You can't ban knives.

Guns on the other hand do not require contact, they can be used from far away, they are much more damaging, are able to injure more people at one time, and have no use but to kill or injure.
what about throwing knives

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

Nebuchanezzar said:
Heh. I've heard the knife analogy before. Generally, only complete fucktards, clutching to their defeated views bring it up. Pray jb_nc, do tell of how much harder it is to kill someone with a knife, than with a gun. Also explain why, with knifes and guns being somewhat legal in America, why the majority of people choose to kill their beloved prey with a firearm.

Douchebag.

Onto the subject at hand. Yep, tragedy, maybe now they'll consider banning firearms. What is patriotism when 32 people are dead for very little reason?
great work dude hit me with some of ad hominems gb 2 western sydney (or north korea, whatever you prefer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)