• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Virginia Tech Shootings (Merged) (2 Viewers)

YankeeChica

Banned
HSC
I found it, i found it.

Being a genius, i found out how to go around the problem of banning guns in America :D
There's no need to ban guns, after all its guaranteed , enshrined and protected by the most rigid constitution in the world. Let's ban ammunition instead :D. The 2nd Amendment did not mention/protect ammunition and guns are useless without ammunitions. problems solved ;)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
wheredanton said:
There is nothing stopping a person carrying a gun without knowing how to use it. You don't even have to undergo basic training.
About 11% of police shootings kill an innocent person - about 2% of shootings by citizens kill an innocent person. The odds of a defensive gun user killing an innocent person are less than 1 in 26,000. And that is with citizens using guns to prevent crimes almost 2,500,000 times every year.

Better take dem guns of the police too.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
jb_nc said:
About 11% of police shootings kill an innocent person - about 2% of shootings by citizens kill an innocent person. The odds of a defensive gun user killing an innocent person are less than 1 in 26,000. And that is with citizens using guns to prevent crimes almost 2,500,000 times every year.
If you are going to go stat crazy you should cite. It's looks much more credible. I have no idea whether to believe your stats or not.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
wheredanton said:
If you are going to go stat crazy you should cite. It's looks much more credible. I have no idea whether to believe your stats or not.
C. Cramer, and D. Kopel "Shall Issue: The New Wave of Concealed Handgun Permit Laws”. Independence Institute Issue Paper. October 17, 1994.

Available here: http://www.rkba.org/research/cramer/shall-issue.html#c34

haha, the whole section refutes your claim that citizens are too incompetent to use firearms.

Last edited:

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
jb_nc said:
I think it's pretty clear that law enforcement use their guns in different contexts.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
wheredanton said:
I think it's pretty clear that law enforcement use their guns in different contexts.
do you mean shooting at innocent people?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
wheredanton said:
There is nothing stopping a person carrying a gun without knowing how to use it. You don't even have to undergo basic training.

A person who has never fired a gun in their life and has no idea about responsible gun ownership and basic safety can carry a gun.

Your assumption that everyone who carries a gun knows how to [responsibly] use it is absurd. It's like saying everyone who buys a car knows, without being trained, how to use it safely.
In some states you do need training to get a carry permit.

Why would someone carry a gun if they can't use it. It makes absolutely no sense. Your assumption that since people can carry a gun without knowing how to use it they will is absurd.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Why would someone carry a gun if they can't use it.
Because they think they are proficiant but really are not.

It makes absolutely no sense. Your assumption that since people can carry a gun without knowing how to use it they will is absurd.
what?

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
jb_nc said:
do you mean shooting at innocent people?
Police officers have a greater opportunity to shoot innocent people. They use their guns in different contexts, they use their guns more often, they wear their guns as part of their job. They brandish their guns (at least in america because everyone has a gun) when they demand something of a person of interest.

Unless you think there are other reasons for a private citizen to use their gun, citizens only should use theur gun in one context - self defence.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
wheredanton said:
Because they think they are proficiant but really are not.

what?
I don't think they need to be an awesome marksman for a gun to be useful in a situation like the other day.

Sorry, was in a hurry, I know it makes no sense....
You assume that since people can carry guns without knowing how to use them they will carry guns. That is absurd. People are not morons. They can surely decide if they are capable enough to carry a gun around with them.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
wheredanton said:
Unless you think there are other reasons for a private citizen to use their gun, citizens only should use theur gun in one context - self defence.
Yeah, pretty much besides hunting and sport. What are the other contexts? "Kidnapping", "Robberies", "Murder"?

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
jb_nc said:
Yeah, pretty much besides hunting and sport. What are the other contexts? "Kidnapping", "Robberies", "Murder"?
using your gun in the last three would constitute self defence wouldn't it.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
Carry permits exist in most states in the US and CCW permits DO REQUIRE TRAINING.
I know. But Virginia didn't have such restrictions.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
wheredanton said:
using your gun in the last three would constitute self defence wouldn't it.
ok i meant as the person committing the crime but yes absolutely

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Irrelevant. Intelligent people won't carry a gun unless they know how to use it.
You assume everyone who carries a gun is intelligent?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
wheredanton said:
You assume everyone who carries a gun is intelligent?
They don't need that much intelligence to decide whether they are capable of handing a gun.

Why do you assume that people are just going to carry guns without knowing how to use them?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
milesedgeworth said:
You're the one quick to bring up the straw man of 'christian fundamentalists' every time someone criticises islam for its fundamentalists
I...don't think that's me. I could be wrong. :)

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
what the fuck does intelligence have to do with operating a gun. any fool can use a gun. and anyone, intelligent or plain stupid, can committ a crime

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)