• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Virginia Tech Shootings (Merged) (1 Viewer)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Re: Virginia Tech Shootings

tamaranadine said:
the funniest thing ever was the gun shop owners response.

He thinks we need MORE guns in american schools.

hmmm...

yeah right thats the answer...?
Would of saved a lot of lives in this situation.

circusmind

HSC

dagwoman said:
If guns are so easy to obtain despite Australia's laws, why is it that there are basically no school shootings here (maybe even none- none that I know of anyway)? There are stabbings, but often people don't die.

Obviously there are probably other issues which influence this, though, so what do you think they are?

Culture.

Fun fact: the Swiss are armed to the teeth but have doubleplusgood low levels of violent crime.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC

Have you guys actually read the plays he did? I've written a few "freakish" plays myself and i'm kunda disappointed with the quality of his work... then again, the point is that his stuff has some angry content in it...

2 of his plays here: http://newsbloggers.aol.com/2007/04/17/cho-seung-huis-plays/

If you wanna read some of my stuff to compare u can PM me, :D

-P_D

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

mr_brightside said:
Cause guns are the only way to kill people

Nails + Ammonia Nitrate + Diesel
i'm surprised we don't have more nail bombs, or stabbings in australia then. coincidence, or something much more...sinister?

xXeMoxXxCoRexX

you can't be half as emo
on a grassy knoll, overlooking the dregs of the lu
HSC

circusmind said:
Culture.

Fun fact: the Swiss are armed to the teeth but have doubleplusgood low levels of violent crime.
If I know my geology, Swisserland is located in Europe, where the natives are cultured, non-violent, and quite possibly neutered at birth. So their guns are part of what makes them cultured, like red wine, funny hats, and football hooliganism.

Contrast with the US where people are uneducated gun toting rednecks. Like the school shooter, a typical redneck.

My point is that compulsory military service and european culture prevents gun violence in Switzerland. Dagwoman was advocating compulsory military service.

Might I add that until 1981 the Swiss had a proud tradition of protecting Il Papa with only halberds, no guns. When was the last time there was a halberd massacre? Not recently enough, that's for sure.

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

xXeMoxXxCoRexX said:
My point is that compulsory military service

Dagwoman was advocating compulsory military service.
CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION QED

Loza33

HSC

The thing that freaked me out... is the complete lack of backgroud check before any is allowed to purchase a gun... the news just then said

"the .... police had known about ..(guys name, can't think of it).. for a while, due to past, dark events years before and were keeping their eye on him"

Or something like that, i wasnt listening that well...

He was under survellience from police and still able to buy guns!!!!!!!!

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC

@Loza33: He wasn't under surveillance. He hadn't committed any crimes. Just a few complaints.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

circusmind said:
No shit.

What I'm asking is what aspect/s of a culture influence/s this.

xXeMoxXxCoRexX

you can't be half as emo
on a grassy knoll, overlooking the dregs of the lu
HSC
The Muslim pride thingy is quite fine rite? :/

Interesting question though: Suppose tomorrow the 2nd ammendment was removed and gun laws in all states of America were made something similar to the ones in this fine nation.

How many people do you think would get rid of their guns to comply with the new law? Would they be the responsible people or the people likely to do evil with said guns?

circusmind

HSC

dagwoman said:
Since your obviously highly-tuned intellect had already come to the same conclusion as I did, why ask the question in the first place?

Edgeworth, your signature picture makes me want to vomit. Get rid of it.
Have a bigger whinge. American jingoism is hilarious, copycat America-hating is boring. Go watch the Colbert Report and ease up on the Chomsky.

circusmind

HSC

Dude, is Reagan your favourite President too?

circusmind

HSC

Miles Edgeworth said:
Big fan of the first president of the United States, John Hanson.
American revolutionaries ftw.

morganforrest

HSC

Tulipa said:
It's not just in the future.

This has happened many many times before, just not in such a large scale.

It'll be IMMENSELY difficult to get more gun control. It's a right of an American citizen to be armed. You don't renege on that easily after a few hundred years.
My understanding of the US Bill of Rights is that an American citizen has the right to keep and bear arms but that this was originally intended by the draftees of the Bill to be only in a time of war, or when there was a significant threat to life and limb, and that this has been so liberally interpreted over the years that it has become part of their culture to bear arms at any time.

Its a hard question to answer...America has almost gone too far to bring in gun control laws, but I'd like to see them try. A gun buyback scheme would be good to see as well as tighter control and points of production and distribution. Im just glad Australia learnt its lesson after Port Arthur.

Legham

HSC

The right to bear arms was misinterpreted.. It was meant to give the people the right to hang a pair of bear arms on their wall.

*goes back to watching family guy*

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC

morganforrest said:
My understanding of the US Bill of Rights is that an American citizen has the right to keep and bear arms but that this was originally intended by the draftees of the Bill to be only in a time of war, or when there was a significant threat to life and limb, and that this has been so liberally interpreted over the years that it has become part of their culture to bear arms at any time.

Its a hard question to answer...America has almost gone too far to bring in gun control laws, but I'd like to see them try. A gun buyback scheme would be good to see as well as tighter control and points of production and distribution. Im just glad Australia learnt its lesson after Port Arthur.
Yes, that's your interpretation of it.

The rest of America believes that it is their right to bear arms for their protection, their defense in any situation. By the way, most of them believe that "The War on Terror" is an ongoing war and they're protecting themselves.

It was actually included originally to combat the English.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC

Legham said:
The right to bear arms was misinterpreted.. It was meant to give the people the right to hang a pair of bear arms on their wall.

*goes back to watching family guy*
hahahha...10 points for family guy and 10 points for you.

steve from smh radar blog said:
The student's argument is sound - had there been armed students & staff on campus, there is a strong possibility that the massacre could have been prevented - or at least cut short.

Posted by: Scott Hillard at April 19, 2007 4:52 PM

What a load of sick bullshit!

Imagine every idiot in there carrying a firearm and looking to shoot the gunman dead. Hello, if everyone is carrying a gun, then how can you distinguish who the gunman is, and whom he is firing at?

In the confusion, all you would have is a melee, with everyone shooting at each other, and even more people being killed. Im sorry, but i have never seen any sick gunman walking around with a sign hanging around their neck saying "hello, im the gunman on the rampage"

There is no distinguishing features or features that would clearly i.d the gunman, why do you think law enforcement officers have anyone running out of the campus on the ground, spread eagle, and being searched, because even they cannot identify who the gunman is. Then imagine a SPG team goin in and killing anyone with a gun becuase when they are deployed by the Police they are ALREADY GRANTED THE USE OF LETHAL FORCE!They see anyone with a gun, they get two to the chest and one to the head.They wont be able to determine who is a risk and who is trying to protect themselves, they'll just shoot anything armed. Thats how they are trained.

I'm sorry, but he only way you stop this is a two fold action plan.

Last edited:
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I'd much rather everyone else at least have the ability to protect themselves.

If you are willing to kill 30 people you are obviously beyond the point where having to buy a gun illegally on the black market is going to stop you. If other people had guns they could of protected themselves. Unfortunately they didn't. I don't think him not having a gun and not going on this rampage was ever an option here.
This guy might have been willing to buy a gun illegally on the black market, but could he have? Your average self centred emo nut-job is unlikely to have gang connections, or any real idea of how to get something on the black market.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The police would only use deadly force when fired upon - They would warn before they shot.
In the perfect world, in the world where 30 people just got killed? Maybe not. I still think it's a flight of fantasy to say that's a real point though, if the police are there with both of the gunmen they should have already stopped the killer and it'll be a moot point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)