Volunteer Work? (1 Viewer)

mecramarathon

HSC
Felt like doing volunteer work for holidays :eek:

Has anyone done a particular volunteer job that was worth it? What was it? How'd you get it?

Cheers

philphie

Banned
HSC
i do night patrol with St Vincent de Paul's, started in year 12 working most school nights till 1am right after school for ee2 mw. you make food prep for an hour in lewisham then get in your van and go around sydney cbd feeding and talkng to the homeless.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
i do night patrol with St Vincent de Paul's, started in year 12 working most school nights till 1am right after school for ee2 mw. you make food prep for an hour in lewisham then get in your van and go around sydney cbd feeding and talkng to the homeless.
That sounds so freaking amazing. How can I apply for it?

philphie

Banned
HSC
the number for the guy in charge is 0409927939. he's name is Bernard, a real tool, but you most likely won't end up working with him, which is good because he doesn't know how to have fun. you start at the vinnies place in Lewisham at 6-630pm putting together sandwiches and whatever. it's close to lewisham station, about a 2 minute walk, next to trinity grammar prep. so after that you load the van or ute then head off into the city. first stop is martin place which always has the most people, then st mary's cathedral. a lot of them move around to each stop so ou'll see the same people again. after that you either go on the van that goes back to lewisham to clean up and go home or you head to the matthew talbot hostel in woolloomooloo to refuel the watertank. after that you head back out again (the places get much more dodgier) to places at central, george st and can't rememebr the rest.

you will meet a lot of interesting people. some of them mentally disabled, some don't speak english, some have had lobotomies, and some are really smart. you get homeless families as well.

at mat talbot hostel you will see the most amazing thing ever, you'll know what i'm talking about if you go on the long shift. good luck.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
the number for the guy in charge is 0409927939. He's name is bernard, a real tool, but you most likely won't end up working with him, which is good because he doesn't know how to have fun. You start at the vinnies place in lewisham at 6-630pm putting together sandwiches and whatever. It's close to lewisham station, about a 2 minute walk, next to trinity grammar prep. So after that you load the van or ute then head off into the city. First stop is martin place which always has the most people, then st mary's cathedral. A lot of them move around to each stop so ou'll see the same people again. After that you either go on the van that goes back to lewisham to clean up and go home or you head to the matthew talbot hostel in woolloomooloo to refuel the watertank. After that you head back out again (the places get much more dodgier) to places at central, george st and can't rememebr the rest.

You will meet a lot of interesting people. Some of them mentally disabled, some don't speak english, some have had lobotomies, and some are really smart. You get homeless families as well.

At mat talbot hostel you will see the most amazing thing ever, you'll know what i'm talking about if you go on the long shift. Good luck.
omg! Thanks bro! (all in cap)

BTW, they would give me some certificates right? (as a proof of volunteer work)

Last edited:

5qirtl3

Banned
HSC
yeh i did mine which was helping out autistic kids in a primary school and it was awesome + rewarding.

should be getting the paid job next year.

HSC
so after that you load the van or ute then head off into the city. first stop is martin place which always has the most people, then st mary's cathedral. a lot of them move around to each stop so ou'll see the same people again. after that you either go on the van that goes back to lewisham to clean up and go home or you head to the matthew talbot hostel in woolloomooloo to refuel the watertank. after that you head back out again (the places get much more dodgier) to places at central, george st and can't rememebr the rest.
Ah yeah I remember seeing this once when skating around there, didn't think twice about it until reading this. I'd definitely call up and see if I could help if I didn't live so far away.

philphie

Banned
HSC
Ah yeah I remember seeing this once when skating around there, didn't think twice about it until reading this. I'd definitely call up and see if I could help if I didn't live so far away.
haha man all the skaters i use to see when volunteering. i remember there was a guy who had a small jack russell with him, nicest dog in the world when it came to other homeless guys and volunteers but it absolutely hated skaters haha

louy

HSC
N/A
Its well worth doing volunteering work if you ever get the chance. Where I work, we get 4 days a year to do volunteering work - which is really good. Helping others does make you feel good.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
omgosh i might of met ya.

do you know the 'Jesus Cares' food van beneath the railway bridge on cathedral st at wooloomooloo?

it's a white van, with red decals

you guys sometimes set up camp there.

philphie

Banned
HSC
omgosh i might of met ya.

do you know the 'Jesus Cares' food van beneath the railway bridge on cathedral st at wooloomooloo?

you guys sometimes set up camp there.
yeah, probably the dodgiest pitstop. lol i remember one night when we did last calls for sanwiches one of them was trying to sleep and was screaming fuck off. then a couple of secs later he realises what i had said so he walks up to get some food, he takes it then i'm like "what, no apology?" then the homeless guy was like "i already got the sandwich so fuck off" baha good night

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
yeah, probably the dodgiest pitstop. lol i remember one night when we did last calls for sanwiches one of them was trying to sleep and was screaming fuck off. then a couple of secs later he realises what i had said so he walks up to get some food, he takes it then i'm like "what, no apology?" then the homeless guy was like "i already got the sandwich so fuck off" baha good night
hmm

what was his name?

i've probably ran into him.

philphie

Banned
HSC
heavily bearded, colourful beanie, large puffy parker jacket.

nope, i am agnostic, but not in the way that i think anything but is stupid. my parents are secular, half of my extended family are french catholic, the other buddhist

edit: p;arents more non religious than secular if that makes sense

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
heavily bearded, colourful beanie, large puffy parker jacket.

nope, i am agnostic, but not in the way that i think anything but is stupid. my parents are secular, half of my extended family are french catholic, the other buddhist

edit: p;arents more non religious than secular if that makes sense

yeah

hmmm..
big pop belly too?

philphie

Banned
HSC
yeah, he reminds me of that homeless guy in back to the future ii

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)