Vote on a subject! I need subject selection help!!! (1 Viewer)

tambam

HSC
That's what I'm worried about because I've been told that modern, pe and english ex1 have a lot of content as well and I'm gonna have to do a lot of work in maths so that i don't fail.
English extension is not a lot of content, ultimately its just one essay and one creative writing story. But the other ones are quite content heavy, yes.

In my opinion, do drama or entertainment (i don't know what this is though). Because transition from year10 to year11 is quite intense, and everything will be a LOT more academic focused, and you won't have those bludgy periods of foodtech, sport and everything i actually had fun in. So you will really look forward to those periods where you can just relax and do something you enjoy.

But either way, good luck with your choice :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
English Extension 1 has very little content. Don't let the "Extension" fool you into thinking "OMG IT'S A LOT OF WORK".

HSC
I've sort of changed my mind a little bit about what I'm doing to do. Originally I had
-English Extension 1, Advanced English, Mathematics 2 U, Modern History, SLR, PDHPE, SOR 1 and either Legal, Entertainment or Drama

Now I'm thinking:
-English Extension 1, Advanced English, Mathematics 2 U, Modern History, PDHPE, SOR 2 (or maybe 1 and a free period) and either Legal, Drama or Ancient History
I've been thinking that SLR counts for nothing and even though I have a good chance at topping it it's not going to go on my HSC or ATAR and stuff. Also most of the idiots at my school who need one more unit and want a bludge will probably do it. Already going through this in science this year and don't plan on doing it again.

For entertainment I've realized that it's after school and I miss p5 & 6 on wednesday. If these periods happen to be pe, modern or maths its probably not the best idea to miss them. And I've been looking through the syllabuses for the stuff that wasn't on my list again and it actually looks really interesting. :)

@Shadowdue & tambam - really? is ee1 harder or easier than advanced? if it's not too much work than that's good!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
EX1 is easier than Advanced. For me. Possibly for you as well.

tambam

HSC
is ee1 harder or easier than advanced? if it's not too much work than that's good!
Yeah, i would say ext1 is definitely easier than advanced, and also a great deal more interesting. It is only 1 unit, but its definitely not a unit that needs a lot of work.

On the other hand, i do ancient history and i love it, but if you want to do really well in it, it is actually heaps of work and a ridiculous amount of content.
For example, the hsc will actually only require you to show your knowledge in around 1 out of 20 sections which you have learnt for some topics, but you still need to be able to know every single section in depth to be able to write an entire essay on it.
I think modern history is the same, so that would be two really content heavy subjects.

But you could give both of them a go, and just drop whichever one you don't want to continue :)

HSC
Yeah, i would say ext1 is definitely easier than advanced, and also a great deal more interesting. It is only 1 unit, but its definitely not a unit that needs a lot of work.

On the other hand, i do ancient history and i love it, but if you want to do really well in it, it is actually heaps of work and a ridiculous amount of content.
For example, the hsc will actually only require you to show your knowledge in around 1 out of 20 sections which you have learnt for some topics, but you still need to be able to know every single section in depth to be able to write an entire essay on it.
I think modern history is the same, so that would be two really content heavy subjects.

But you could give both of them a go, and just drop whichever one you don't want to continue :)
If EX1 is easier than Advanced and more interesting than I'll definately give it a shot. I'll stick to 13 units in case I don't like it but hopefully I will :)

I'm probs not gonna let heaps of content turn me off both historys cause legal has heaps of content as well doesn't it and i'm trying not to let that turn me off legal. Drama is still sounding very tempting all the same. Ahh! this is impossible :/

tambam

HSC
I'm probs not gonna let heaps of content turn me off both historys cause legal has heaps of content as well doesn't it and i'm trying not to let that turn me off legal. Drama is still sounding very tempting all the same. Ahh! this is impossible :/
No, i think you should seriously think very carefully before considering doing both histories.
When i say there is A LOT of content, there is actually a ridiculously massive amount in both history courses.
The amount of content and preparation required for ancient history for me doesn't even come close to any of my other subjects, and i think that would include legal.

jessxxr

HSC
No, i think you should seriously think very carefully before considering doing both histories.
When i say there is A LOT of content, there is actually a ridiculously massive amount in both history courses.
The amount of content and preparation required for ancient history for me doesn't even come close to any of my other subjects, and i think that would include legal.
i do ancient history and since it is my favourite subject i find studying for it, although there is a lot, relatively easy, and pretty fun compared to any other of my subjects because i just have so much interest in it, and so i can just sit there an do past papers all day. It just depends on the individual and how they feel about that subject. So if you have a good interest in ancient, you wont regret it.

HSC
Okay, than if it's going to be that much maybe I'll just stick to modern only. So now I'm only choosing out of drama and legal. That makes it easier cause I only need one reserve and one top 4 and I've got pretty much the same chance of getting either of them :) Thanks!!!!!!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^I know about 8 people who did both histories in the HSC. They did well in both. yes content heavy, but quite manageable with a solid humanities basing.

Out of your 3 maybe questions, I'd do Ancient (personally would be the most interesting for me). I almost did Ancient/physics stead of modern/bio.

HSC
Okay, maybe I'll keep ancient on my list then still. Quite a few people in my history elective class are doing both histories and so if they can keep up with both, I should be able to...hopefully. My subject form is meant to be handed in b4 wednesday but I'll keep 2moz to think about it and hopefully make a decision!

tambam

HSC
Okay, maybe I'll keep ancient on my list then still.
Seriously, at least reduce SOME of your choices...haha.
You should pick ancient > modern in my opinion, because ancient is really interesting :)

But if you don't love history a LOT then seriously don't consider doing both, if you want to do well, you have to put in a lot of effort, and no matter how much you love it, you WILL get sick of it occasionally because making notes etc. is a really long tedious process.

I think it also comes down to what the teacher is like, and how much effort they put in to make sure you have the best resources, as opposed to just handing you a textbook which is simplistic and doesn't give you anywhere near as much as you need for the hsc. So if you can, decide what you end up doing on what teacher you would have. (talk to older students)

And really look at all the content for the courses, to see if you actually want to be studying that stuff for the next 2 years, rather than just going by what other people tell you about whether they like it, because everyone enjoys different things.

HSC
All decided :)
English: Advanced English & English Extension 1
Religion: Studies of Religion: I
Sports Lifestyle & Recreation
1. PDHPE
2. Modern History
3. Mathematics 2 Unit
4. Drama
R1. Legal
R2. Ancient History
R3. Earth & Environmental Science

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Last edited:

Sophia H

HSC
Just a warning - don't let people tell you drama is a bludge. IT'S NOT. Okay, it is in year eleven, but in year twelve it's actually a heck of a lot of work - two major works PLUS theory (essay) work as well! It easily takes up the most time of all my (admittedly rather easy) subjects.

Thing is, it's a heck of a lot of fun, and if you want to be a teacher, I think it'd be a lot more use to you than Legal or Ancient. See, drama improves your confidence speaking in front of a group of people - I know that in practice exercises I did a few years ago where we had to "teach" the class for a lesson I froze up, stuttered, didn't know what to say, got stage fright. But now after doing drama I'm fine with being told to "take the class" (happened a few months ago when I'd been to see the play we were studying and the teacher hadn't, so he figured I'd be more qualified haha), can jump up and do it fear-free on total improv. Drama has cured me of nervousness of public speaking. And I'm a better liar too! But then again, every I know who does Legal loves it, apparently it's really interesting and relevant to real life.

As for Ancient, I love it because it's such a low-pressure subject (that could just be the teacher, though). No need to memorise dates because few historians are really sure of the dates anyway, there's a lot of reading involved and you have to write fairly extensive summaries but it's all pretty simple and straightforward.

Don't be scared of doing thirteen units! I'm doing fourteen and loving it, I didn't wanna drop any of them so I simply didn't :p It is a bit stressful though come Trials though, sticking to twelve is probably the smart choice...

Oh yeah - Earth - again, a very simple, straightforward subject. Year eleven is boring as all hell, just rocks, rocks, water, some more rocks, but year twelve is fun - evolution, volcanoes, fossils, field trips.

But I'd still recommend switching Legal with Drama. Just sayin'. I did 2unit maths in year eleven and hated it to death, so I dropped it. Honestly, unless you like it or want to do a science/maths/engineering/medicine at uni I don't see the point in doing it... but each to their own.

Good luck!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Just a warning - don't let people tell you drama is a bludge. IT'S NOT. Okay, it is in year eleven, but in year twelve it's actually a heck of a lot of work - two major works PLUS theory (essay) work as well! It easily takes up the most time of all my (admittedly rather easy) subjects.

Thing is, it's a heck of a lot of fun, and if you want to be a teacher, I think it'd be a lot more use to you than Legal or Ancient. See, drama improves your confidence speaking in front of a group of people - I know that in practice exercises I did a few years ago where we had to "teach" the class for a lesson I froze up, stuttered, didn't know what to say, got stage fright. But now after doing drama I'm fine with being told to "take the class" (happened a few months ago when I'd been to see the play we were studying and the teacher hadn't, so he figured I'd be more qualified haha), can jump up and do it fear-free on total improv. Drama has cured me of nervousness of public speaking. And I'm a better liar too! But then again, every I know who does Legal loves it, apparently it's really interesting and relevant to real life.

As for Ancient, I love it because it's such a low-pressure subject (that could just be the teacher, though). No need to memorise dates because few historians are really sure of the dates anyway, there's a lot of reading involved and you have to write fairly extensive summaries but it's all pretty simple and straightforward.

Don't be scared of doing thirteen units! I'm doing fourteen and loving it, I didn't wanna drop any of them so I simply didn't :p It is a bit stressful though come Trials though, sticking to twelve is probably the smart choice...

Oh yeah - Earth - again, a very simple, straightforward subject. Year eleven is boring as all hell, just rocks, rocks, water, some more rocks, but year twelve is fun - evolution, volcanoes, fossils, field trips.

But I'd still recommend switching Legal with Drama. Just sayin'. I did 2unit maths in year eleven and hated it to death, so I dropped it. Honestly, unless you like it or want to do a science/maths/engineering/medicine at uni I don't see the point in doing it... but each to their own.

Good luck!
tl;dr
If she gets drama it definitely won't be one of her hardest subject considering she's not retarded so I don't think anything past the first paragraph here matters.
Btw, when I write dramam on my phone it corrects me to seaman.

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
Heyy, so pretty much I've got three or four days to choose my year 11 subjects and I have no idea what to do for my final 2 unit subject. Don't get me wrong, I want to do one, I just don't know which one! Sorry I'm getting a bit annoying with all these threads.

So here's what I've got so far:
  • Advanced English (2)
  • English Extension 1 (1)
  • Mathematics 2 Unit (2)
  • Studies of Religion: I (catholic school) (1)
  • PDHPE (2)
  • Modern History (2)
  • Sports, Lifestyle & Rec (1)
So I need one more and I've narrowed it down to:
  • Drama (2)
  • Entertainment VET (2)
  • Legal Studies (2)
I've looked at all the other subjects and there's nothing else that I want to do. I'm thinking PE teaching when I leave school but I don't want to do bio. For most uni's it's 2 subjects from this list of about five and maths and pe are on it, so I've got the prerequisites covered. I'm doing this subject simply because I like it.

I've gone through the "do the subject you like" "do the subject your good at" "do the subject that interests you" "do the subject that will help you after school" "speak to year 11s and 12s" "speak to the teachers" thing but I've still got this same list. I like them all, I don't know whether I'll be good at them or not cause they're so different to what I've done, they all interest me, and none of them are going to help me with pe teaching. The teachers and 11s and 12s only made me more confused and made me want to do them all more. :/

So, what do you guys who actually do them think? Which one should I choose? I don't need an explanation about why, one word is perfectly fine. I'm pretty sure I'll stick to those 3 (I don't particularly like science, I love performing even if I wasn't too great at year 9 drama - dropped it in year 10 but only cause of the teacher and cause i was pissed off at musical and wanted to do history, legal could help cause i'm also sorta considering the police or navy as a back up)

So which one? Drama, Entertainment or Legal?

Thanks!

Okay, so I've changed my mind a bit:
-No more SLR
-2 Unit Religion
-Not considering Entertainment VET anymore
-Considering Ancient History
Either Legal or Ancient History. Those will help you more with uni than the other 2.

WorryWartCob

HSC
chose something that you will enjoy and therefore go well in.

enough said.
i dont give a shit about scaling.
do something you like.
you will perform 3 x better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)