Walking vs Running, shedding bodyfat (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Which one is better and why?

Despite not being fat, i'm really unfit. I tried jogging for 30 mins once, i ended up walking 25mins of it because i get puffed out so easily.

So.. if i wanted to shed the small amount of fat i have, would walking be beneficial at all?
Because i hear stuff about interval training/running, where u run flat out for a minute, then jog, then repeat every so often.
And then there're ppl who jog for 30 mins or so everyday.

And.. the walkers.. are all old ppl, obese ppl, or ppl with prams :/

Yes i do realise i'd have to change my diet, but my main question is if walking will help me shed fat or not.

quik.

HSC
Depends how you look at it

45-65% VO2 max is where the greatest relative percentage of energy used is fat.

Above this you will be using a gradually lesser percentage of energy from fat as you move towards 100% VO2 max, however, the overall amount of fat could be more

Personally I am a fan of mixing it up. Do a variety of activites. Walk mondays, intervals wednesdays, cycling thursday, etc

Nutrition for weight loss is IMPORTANT. Especially so if you are chasing abs

However, from what I gather you are a little dude already (maybe not ripped, but definitely not at risk of being seen as overweight)... in your position I would chase lifts and adding mass, not the opposite

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
what I heard is that walking is best to lose weight and to tone, while running is to gain muscle. (i dont know if this is true or not though).

Walking is also easier on the body than running. but the best way to lose weight is by swimming.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
not tryin to lose weight, losing the chubb (not that i have much), but yea, good post quik.

and silver persian.......... i'll see.

Lukybear

HSC
To lose weight I recommend keeping a medium to high heart rate, for a long period of time, i.e. 30>.

So the solution here i believe is to cycle, as it can be long lasting, i.e. greater than 1hour of excercise of good cardio, without stopping, keeping heart rate up. This way you can build up endurance, and then start start jogging if thats what you wish.

But for losing weight, cycling should be sufficent.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
It's been proven that rapid intervals of intense training uses more energy than extended periods of less strenuous exercise. You should just gradually increase your jogging:walking ratio. Start with 10 mins running: 20 mins walking and increase it when you think you can handle it. If you hardly exercise and then start doing this you will notice a huge difference in your energy levels within a few months (that's how i felt). And less COD4 also helps :p

Oliver04

HSC
Running is for queers, but if you must do it high interval training is the best.

I'd suggest doing sprint backs - go down to a soccer field, sprint down, jog back, repeat 6-8 times.

High intensity cardio mimics weight training so its less likely to interfere with lifting.

btw quik, how's this for cardio - http://www.torontobarbell.com/Conditioning.html

Last edited:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Running is for queers, but if you must do it high interval training is the best.

I'd suggest doing sprint backs - go down to a soccer field, sprint down, jog back, repeat 6-8 times.

High intensity cardio mimics weight training so its less likely to interfere with lifting.
but does it still shed fat, or does it build up ur legs?

Oliver04

HSC
but does it still shed fat, or does it build up ur legs?
I might pass the buck onto quik sorry Omie, cardio really isn't an interest of mine.

All I can tell you is that cardio interferes with recovery, and thats bad for weight training. High intensity cardio, because it is more similar in nature, impacts on recovery less so.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
And.. the walkers.. are all old ppl, obese ppl, or ppl with prams :/
I powerwalk, largely because it's better on the knees and like you I can't really run for more than a minute tops without dying. I dropped from 72kg to 60kg a few years ago by altering diet and powerwalking, which is surprisingly hard to keep up for long periods of time. I usually do it for 40mins every afternoon if I can (hard to keep up with as of late!).

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Cycling is a lot more fun, and not as uncomfortably intense as running.

I'd be lucky if I could run 400m max, I'm done after that, but I cycled 40kms today easily, anyone can manage that.

BreezerD

HSC
Yes, interval training sheds bodyfat. Better than LSD (Long Slow Distance) training. Fuck, this is the kind of thing you could have learned REALLY easily for yourself with 10 minutes of google work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)