• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ways to significantly improve standard english mark (1 Viewer)

Aka4512

HSC
Hi everyone. I need help on ways or strategies to improve my extremely poor marks for english for year 12 preperation. I just recently completed my Standard English preliminary exam however I don't feel confident about my marks. I had tendency to achieve D grades this year however I just passed the course mark of 54 however disappointing.

I am reading more and I know my essay writing has improved significantly however it's not enough to score a decent mark i.e B range mark or even a high C range mark. A recent class practice essay test scored me a low C range mark according to my english teacher but I think otherwise from what I've written in the exam.

Anyway strategies, tips and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Get an essay writing guide and follow it to the letter.

You'll get high Bs at least.

That's what I did and I got high Bs and low As for everything.

Aka4512

HSC
I will definitely bring the essay guide to my tutor's attention. My english teacher did however gave the class the essay structure which to my knowledge followed during the test for both novel study and film study essays.
The problem I faced during the exam is to make a general statement on ideas found in the novel study section.

Last edited:

Aka4512

HSC
is there anymore tips and advice to help my heighten my grades for english?

deswa1

HSC
Can you post an intro and one paragraph from one of your essays so we can see how you write?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Ask your teacher to read over your essays. They should welcome your effort and desire to do better.

madradoddy

HSC
the way to get full marks is not to write tonnes of essays, because no one has time for that- its to write a intro for every single paragraph you can find- and then, if you really want to, do a rough plan for the rest of the essay. for every single module i have a 30 page document with theses to every possible question- this way you can never be surprised
also, google websites like the english department in illinois uni- they have great great great analysis of most texts that will make you stand out- its really amazing analysis
I would also recommend choosing related texts that are canonical but that you really enjoy- my teacher always tells us not to use songs
make sure you address all parts of the question- dont forget you can partly disagree, completely disagree too, sometimes this is the best thing to do e.g. belonging only constricts us- i think its better to disagree partly here
i dont do standard, i do advanced, but this is what i do, and im coming first, so maybe give it a try
good luck

Last edited:

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
I will definitely bring the essay guide to my tutor's attention. My english teacher did however gave the class the essay structure which to my knowledge followed during the test for both novel study and film study essays.
The problem I faced during the exam is to make a general statement on ideas found in the novel study section.
Teachers usually give a shit, watered-down version which is shit.

C

Chayum

I went from triple-digit rankings to top 15 this year. This is what I learned during my journey:

Cut the bullshit: Just get straight to the point and stop beating around the bush. Markers always like essays which get straight to the point.

Answer the question: This is very important and it's the first thing markers look for in the introduction.

Examples and explanation: Just remember to explain how each example you have provided conveys/portrays the ideas presented. It's also better to use more.. "relevant" examples rather than just putting them in for the sake of it.

Generally, all modules in English Standard revolve around the idea that "the text you are studying is bloody amazing and everyone should study it". More specifically for Module B (Close Study of Text)

That's all I remember for now :3.

Aka4512

HSC
Thanks everyone for your inputs. You tips and advice is extremely useful. I will make sure to incorporate the advice given. If anyone has anything relevant to add to the list you are most welcome. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)