We are paying $238,000 in tax dollars for every single auto manufacturing employee (1 Viewer)

zstar

HSC
N/A
By subsidizing these industries they take away capital from more efficient sectors of the economy and prop businesses that have no incentive to produce something of quality.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
zstar said:
By subsidizing these industries they take away capital from more efficient sectors of the economy and prop businesses that have no incentive to produce something of quality.
We know this, but fuck, the magnitude of this number is mindblowing.

55HS

HSC
I wonder what the sums would be if you worked out subsidies for farmers vs how many there actually are.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
55HS said:
I wonder what the sums would be if you worked out subsidies for farmers vs how many there actually are.
Couldn't find numbers of farmers, but there are 150,000 or so farms, and about 2.4bn in subsidies, so about $16,000 per farm. It's not good, but it's nowhere near as horrifying as this.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
What type of subsidies? I understand there's a half-billion subsidy for green car makers.

But if we're talking about generic shit we could just as easily get from Japan (and I thought we do?), then that's a bit wtf.

Shit like food independence I can sympathise with a lot more (although a lot of farmers are fucking stupid and waste their subsidies on shit like cotton and rice in the middle of the desert).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Trefoil said:
What type of subsidies? I understand there's a half-billion subsidy for green car makers.

But if we're talking about generic shit we could just as easily get from Japan (and I thought we do?), then that's a bit wtf.

Shit like food independence I can sympathise with a lot more (although a lot of farmers are fucking stupid and waste their subsidies on shit like cotton and rice in the middle of the desert).
Tanner's justified it by saying shit like "there are only 20 countries in the world which can design and manufacture a car completely in their borders, and this should be a matter of national pride". Only about 1.2bn of it is in the green fund.

EDIT:
smh said:
The Government argues "only 15 countries can design, engineer and build a car from scratch". That may be a few countries too many in a global industry that is already oversupplied, along with much of global manufacturing.

zstar

HSC
N/A
This will pale in comparison to what they're trying to do America by attempting to bailout GM, Chrysler and Ford.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Woo, $6 billion dollars for national pride!

boris

Banned
HSC
I'v never really looked into it but what subsidies to farmers get? The only ones i could think of were fuel and vehicles etc.

Edit: thats $18307 per worker per year

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
They get some sort of drought subsidy don't they?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
US is throwing $25bn at those companies with about 900,000 auto employees, so around 25,000 per employee.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Man, so like, assuming 10 million tax payers in Australia, we're giving them a whole two cents per year.

TWO MOTHER FUCKING CENTS!

Thanks Justin. You're doing everyone a service.

boris

Banned
HSC
Yeah but not many people get that. I heard something like 1k got it? I only know of like 3.

But yeah, im torn about irrigation. Seemed like a good idea at the time im sure. Allows us to grow a shitload of rice/vegies/fruit in an area thats not much good for anything but has a pretty consistant river flowing through it. But the river is getting smalllller. Maybe shift that sort of farming to NT, nothern WA and tropical QLD. I dont know much about it up there, but i haven't heard of anything. Apart from sugar cane. Leave the south for wheat etc.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Man, so like, assuming 10 million tax payers in Australia, we're giving them a whole two cents per year.

TWO MOTHER FUCKING CENTS!

Thanks Justin. You're doing everyone a service.
If you take the aggregate of all these retarded programmes I'm sure it's much more than that.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
withoutaface said:
If you take the aggregate of all these retarded programmes I'm sure it's much more than that.
I, as a citizen who cares, does not mind giving 2 cents per year to keep someone in a job.

Of course, that's entirely separate to the act itself. I'm not an advocate of keeping people in redundant employment, I'm just stating that the way you're making a massive deal over it is laughable.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Re: We are paying $238,000 in tax dollars for every single auto manufacturing employe

Also your maths is wrong. It's $600 per taxpayer for this entire scheme, which is a lot.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Re: We are paying $238,000 in tax dollars for every single auto manufacturing employe

The most laughable part is that we could employ 4x as many people to dig holes and fill them in again at the current salary of auto employees, drop tariffs and still have cheaper cars.

EDIT: We could call the scheme 'Work for the Hole'

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

Miles Edgeworth said:
Hahahaha and given that most of the middle class doesn't pay tax this is AWESOME.
You'd be very hard-pressed to find a member of the middle-class who doesn't pay tax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)