We are paying $238,000 in tax dollars for every single auto manufacturing employee (2 Viewers)

spiny norman

HSC
Re: We are paying $238,000 in tax dollars for every single auto manufacturing employe

chicky_pie said:
Or put into real terms - anything that's coming out of Liberal party and sounds good, he will me too-ism it.
That's not really what was said at all, but okay.

HSC
Re: We are paying $238,000 in tax dollars for every single auto manufacturing employe

Fuck this is bullshit.

The companies who produce in Australia - Ford and Holden, have been going down for years. They have failed to market small, fuel efficient cars (which are what's booming in the market) and are not competitive with the low prices of Asian manufacturers.

Let the jobs go, this industry is a waste of money and time.

boris

Banned
HSC

commodore is still the biggest seller brotang.

Anyway i thought you were all working out how much per person based on 200000 directly and indirectly employed people in the auto industry?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Trefoil said:
I guess we're just not Libertarian enough for you, Schroe.

In other news, there's a very good reason the government is doing this: because we need to move towards a more manufacture-oriented economy (or more generally a knowledge economy) compared to a purely commodity-driven one so we aren't as vulnerable to fluctuations in commodity prices (e.g. coal or steel).
Just because they make up a large chunk of our economy does not mean that there are huge numbers of people employed in them. It employs 1.3% of the nation's workforce, who just so happen to contribute disproportionately to the GDP at around 5%. Ergo commodity prices could be cut in four before that industry would even be considered 'below average', and obviously if/when we do exhaust supplies of these minerals it's not all going to happen all of a sudden.

I am pro-nukes, though.

wagga

HSC
55HS said:
I wonder what the sums would be if you worked out subsidies for farmers vs how many there actually are.
Yeah, but the agricultural sector in Australia is very efficient (drought notwithstanding) and produces an essential commodity which poses major issues in terms of importation. Cars, on the other hand, are piss easy to import, and the Australian car industry is a dinosaur which will need continued and expensive protectionism if it is to survive.

Considering the state of infrastructure in many parts of Australia, to be spending this amount of money bailing out private companies that had years to produce cars closer to what the market wanted, but didn't, is absolute bullshit.

wagga

HSC

boris said:
commodore is still the biggest seller brotang.

Anyway i thought you were all working out how much per person based on 200000 directly and indirectly employed people in the auto industry?
That's only because fleets buy them in bulk.

JClamp

Banned
HSC
wagga said:
Yeah, but the agricultural sector in Australia is very efficient (drought notwithstanding) and produces an essential commodity which poses major issues in terms of importation. Cars, on the other hand, are piss easy to import, and the Australian car industry is a dinosaur which will need continued and expensive protectionism if it is to survive.

Considering the state of infrastructure in many parts of Australia, to be spending this amount of money bailing out private companies that had years to produce cars closer to what the market wanted, but didn't, is absolute bullshit.
Agriculture is not going to last in Australia. Global warming will drive dry areas even drier. Encouraging Australia to move towards a manufacturing based economy is hardly a bad thing. Cars can be an integral part of this.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

dont know if it has been said

but how come we can afford 6bill for the car industry, but we cant afford 3bill for health?

JClamp

Banned
HSC

The healthcare system is in decent shape.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

withoutaface said:
Just because they make up a large chunk of our economy does not mean that there are huge numbers of people employed in them. It employs 1.3% of the nation's workforce, who just so happen to contribute disproportionately to the GDP at around 5%. Ergo commodity prices could be cut in four before that industry would even be considered 'below average', and obviously if/when we do exhaust supplies of these minerals it's not all going to happen all of a sudden.
No, no, the economic importance of our commodities is disproportionate to their GDP contribution because they contribute so much to our export performance.

I am pro-nukes, though.
And I am pro-nuclear, too, but that doesn't change much. More scientific and medical reactors, a few nuclear power stations where appropriate, but not much would change in terms of our commodities or domestic energy consumption? It'd still make more sense to sell our nuclear fuel overseas and stick mostly to coal, for example, because our coal is generally the best (clean, efficient, and easy to access) in the world, and nuclear obviously wouldn't displace renewables.

Something Australia should focus on regarding commodities is processing. We often ship our coal, uranium, oil, steel, etc overseas in its raw form. But if we bothered to refine it here instead it would be a lot better for our economy (we could sell it for shitloads more, it would create jobs, it would dampen commodity volatility, and it'd make our economy more politically potent).

Last edited:

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

JClamp said:
The healthcare system is in decent shape.
The healthcare system is in decent shape relative to the rest of the (Western) world.

That doesn't actually mean it's in good shape, just that it's not as shit as the rest of the world's. It needs a lot of extra funding, yet all we're seeing is funding cuts. It's ludicrous.

Scissors

HSC
david trollfield actually raised a pretty interesting point yesterday, or rather today.

why are we sending so much money to indonesia when we need the money ourselves?

i know that it's to maintain smooth international relations, but i mean, please, i'd rather have a proper health care system than indonesia having our backs.

Scissors

HSC
katie tully said:
fuck world aid
those useless pricks piss in their drinking water, why do we even bother
exactly. indonesia can't offer us much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)