We are paying $238,000 in tax dollars for every single auto manufacturing employee (1 Viewer)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Re: We are paying $238,000 in tax dollars for every single auto manufacturing employe

Trefoil said:
You'd be very hard-pressed to find a member of the middle-class who doesn't pay tax.
THE number of families receiving more in handouts than they pay in income tax has jumped by 276,000 over the past four years to a record 4.113 million.

The income-tax-free club now covers 42.2 per cent of the nation's 9.754 million families.
[...]
The generosity of the tax system can be seen in the income that families can earn before they become net income taxpayers.

A single person with no children is tax-free up to $19,448 in income. A sole parent can earn up to $53,819 before paying income tax, while a dual-income couple with two children can earn up to $59,367.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,24374072-2702,00.html

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Re: We are paying $238,000 in tax dollars for every single auto manufacturing employe

withoutaface said:
Also your maths is wrong. It's $600 per taxpayer for this entire scheme, which is a lot.
wat? :cold:

i dont believe you because tbh, you're a deluded right wing nutter

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
withoutaface said:
Maths here. Subsidies are the most fucked up shit ever.
when i heard it i was like "ffs why subsidise industries"
but then
they're also lowering tariffs at the same time, which pretty much seals this particular industry's fate beyond all hope

making this possibly the stupidest thing ever

EDIT: except the extra $3000 NSW Labor is giving 1st home buyers (while trying to 'cut spending'), that just beats it i think

Last edited:

spiny norman

HSC

A single person with no children is tax-free up to $19,448 in income. A sole parent can earn up to $53,819 before paying income tax, while a dual-income couple with two children can earn up to $59,367.
I'd hardly think the former or the latter are what I'd consider middle-class?

boris

Banned
HSC

an extra 3k? when? KA-CHING

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
I, as a citizen who cares, does not mind giving 2 cents per year to keep someone in a job.
Invest the $6.1 billion in developing higher value industries where australians can actually be competitive. Develop sustainable, profitable industries.

The job arguement doesn't fly, because most of the skilled tradesmen in the Australian car industry are in demand and could easily find jobs elsewhere. If anything, the car industry is taking away workers from jobs where they are really needed.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
wat? :cold:

i dont believe you because tbh, you're a deluded right wing nutter
6,200,000,000/10,000,000

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Graney said:
Invest the $6.1 billion in developing higher value industries where australians can actually be competitive. Develop sustainable, profitable industries.
See even that's bullshit. If Australia has the potential to be competitive in an industry then it doesn't need goverment subsidies (unless of course it is a green industry, where there are arguments based on negative externalities).

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

withoutaface said:
6,200,000,000/10,000,000
mang i thought we were paying 238k

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

withoutaface said:
See even that's bullshit. If Australia has the potential to be competitive in an industry then it doesn't need goverment subsidies (unless of course it is a green industry, where there are arguments based on negative externalities).
Yeah ofcourse, I'd always be for $6.1 billion in tax cuts instead. But if you're going to tax and invest, this is the worst way to go about it.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

spiny norman said:
Why the question mark?

Are you confused about what you think?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

spiny norman said:
Personally, I think you would consider them middle class.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
mang i thought we were paying 238k
yeah, each of em get 2c from us

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

I guess we're just not Libertarian enough for you, Schroe.

In other news, there's a very good reason the government is doing this: because we need to move towards a more manufacture-oriented economy (or more generally a knowledge economy) compared to a purely commodity-driven one so we aren't as vulnerable to fluctuations in commodity prices (e.g. coal or steel).

Of course, trying to get there by subsidising the automotive industry probably isn't the brightest idea around. I think we can do better than car making. There's all sorts of other stuff we can get into - satellites, rockets, weapons, electronics, nanotechnology, renewable energy...

With the above in mind, the green car portion of this fund is a good choice, assuming it is dispensed properly (i.e. the research isn't paid for by us and then shipped overseas - giving it to our own research centres and universities and then contracting Chrysler, BMW, etc would be a good start).

Last edited:

spiny norman

HSC

jb_nc said:
Why the question mark?

Are you confused about what you think?
It's my thing.

The question mark signifies that I'm speaking with rising inflection.

You might think it signifies that I'm asking a question, but that's just not proper.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

spiny norman said:
It's my thing.

The question mark signifies that I'm speaking with rising inflection.

You might think it signifies that I'm asking a question, but that's just not proper.
Maybe not the former, but the latter are both middle class.

That's my opinion.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

A sole parent on $50,000 per year is middle class, but begrudging her welfare is pretty pathetic.

More importantly, sole parents on $50,000 per year make up a rather small subset of the middle-class. But claiming that "most of the middle class don't pay taxes" is fucking disingenuous.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

Miles Edgeworth said:
I agree with Graney. Invest 6.2bn into high tech/green tech.

Fuck cars and fuck car makers.

EDIT: Also dude my comments were about the fucking inability of three posters to do basic fucking arithmetic.
I think Rudd's policies are generally a case of two steps forward, one step back.

Which, to be frank, often seems better than Howard (at least when it comes to infrastructure and science).

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Trefoil said:
I think Rudd's policies are generally a case of two steps forward, one step back.

Which, to be frank, often seems better than Howard (at least when it comes to infrastructure and science).

Or put into real terms - anything that's coming out of Liberal party and sounds good, he will me too-ism it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)