• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

We have a new pope! (3 Viewers)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm.

A lot of people are talking about Big Ben as if he's the antichrist or something, not realising that everything about his reputation is rooted in his job for the last two decades. It was his job to define the line on what is explicitly approved and what isn't according to the church - this carries with it the nasty requirement of telling people that (at least according to the church) they are not doing what is right.

He has a different job now. While as God's Rottweiler he had to visciously defend the doctrine, as Supreme Pontiff he is the universal pastor - it is now his fundamental duty to bring unity to the church, and to achieve openness.

He's only been Pope a few days. Forget the Ratzinger you thought you knew (which, I assure you, none of you did) and give him a chance to surprise you.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Hmm.

A lot of people are talking about Big Ben as if he's the antichrist or something, not realising that everything about his reputation is rooted in his job for the last two decades. It was his job to define the line on what is explicitly approved and what isn't according to the church - this carries with it the nasty requirement of telling people that (at least according to the church) they are not doing what is right.

He has a different job now. While as God's Rottweiler he had to visciously defend the doctrine, as Supreme Pontiff he is the universal pastor - it is now his fundamental duty to bring unity to the church, and to achieve openness.

He's only been Pope a few days. Forget the Ratzinger you thought you knew (which, I assure you, none of you did) and give him a chance to surprise you.
Thats what ppl should be worried about, he might change dramatically

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
A surprise doesn't mean a dramatic change, it just means he does something unexpected. My point remains that you can't judge a Papacy that hasn't happened yet. :)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Lexicographer said:
A surprise doesn't mean a dramatic change, it just means he does something unexpected. My point remains that you can't judge a Papacy that hasn't happened yet. :)
No i was meaning that these ppls jokes may be well founded (personally i doubt this but there is info on the net) that he may be the FP

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The bible is fiction. And it shouldnt be treated as anything else.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
Deus said:
The bible is fiction. And it shouldnt be treated as anything else.
That's like saying history is fiction, and that people who've had first-hand witness of unfolding events should be disregarded because, despite having no motive to deceive, they've lied about all they've seen and experienced. Then, in their big plot to spin a universal lie, they undertake the huge lifetime effort of carefully copying out hundreds of manuscripts, translating these into hundreds of languages, pouring countless resources into the printing and distribution, even getting persecuted and giving up their lives for this very 'fiction' that you claim the Bible is.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
you saying the events in genesis actually happened 0_0

imhere4themusic

flied lice
HSC
Deus said:
you saying the events in genesis actually happened 0_0
Genesis can be fitted in to the evolution theory, if you take the 6 days of god, we don't know how long a day lasts for him, each could be a million of ours. Therefore he started the Big Bang, started off things very small and evolved them over time. Kinda like using clay. If you're so enlightened about the bible and how it's not right tell me your sources? How do you know you're right?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
imhere4themusic said:
Genesis can be fitted in to the evolution theory, if you take the 6 days of god, we don't know how long a day lasts for him, each could be a million of ours. Therefore he started the Big Bang, started off things very small and evolved them over time. Kinda like using clay. If you're so enlightened about the bible and how it's not right tell me your sources? How do you know you're right?
why would god bother to start from the big bang and then let stuff evolve from that. if he is god and can do anything why doesnty he just create everything in one go. i cant believe u think that god actually made everything in 7 days yuor so naive.i bet you believe in adan and eve and all that other bullshit that doesnt actually make sence if u think logicly.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
chookyn said:
That's like saying history is fiction, and that people who've had first-hand witness of unfolding events should be disregarded because, despite having no motive to deceive, they've lied about all they've seen and experienced. Then, in their big plot to spin a universal lie, they undertake the huge lifetime effort of carefully copying out hundreds of manuscripts, translating these into hundreds of languages, pouring countless resources into the printing and distribution, even getting persecuted and giving up their lives for this very 'fiction' that you claim the Bible is.
yeh pretty much

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
SashatheMan said:
why would god bother to start from the big bang and then let stuff evolve from that. if he is god and can do anything why doesnty he just create everything in one go. i cant believe u think that god actually made everything in 7 days yuor so naive.i bet you believe in adan and eve and all that other bullshit that doesnt actually make sence if u think logicly.
Adam and Eve could make sense, if Eve had a daughter, but there would be alot of imbreeding in the first couple of generations

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
And, since Eve was made from one of Adam's ribs, they'd have almost the same genetic make up.

So the inbreeding was already in force right from the first fuck.

Man, humans are so scewed up. :eek:

jennylim

HSC
SashatheMan said:
what exactly are you saying? that the big bang doesn't make sense and neither does evolution? hmm...hard to combat there...

but God can do everything. the point of genesis is to say that he made the world and made humans special, and we rebelled. yeah? why on earth would God try to explain exactly how he made the universe to a bunch of shepherds who knew absolutely nothing about physics? if you tell them metaphorically and just with the essentials, that's enough. Genesis isn't about HOW God made the world as much as WHY he did and what happened.

so yes, in conclusion, i believe God made the whole universe and everything in it, but i think the details are rather off the point. personally i believe in evolution and think that it's absolutely impossible for the world to make itself (someone said the chances are similar to a tornado ripping through a junkyard and creating a boeing 747) so God obviously guided it. and i also believe in the bible. happy?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
jennylim said:
what exactly are you saying? that the big bang doesn't make sense and neither does evolution? hmm...hard to combat there...

but God can do everything. the point of genesis is to say that he made the world and made humans special, and we rebelled. yeah? why on earth would God try to explain exactly how he made the universe to a bunch of shepherds who knew absolutely nothing about physics? if you tell them metaphorically and just with the essentials, that's enough. Genesis isn't about HOW God made the world as much as WHY he did and what happened.

so yes, in conclusion, i believe God made the whole universe and everything in it, but i think the details are rather off the point. personally i believe in evolution and think that it's absolutely impossible for the world to make itself (someone said the chances are similar to a tornado ripping through a junkyard and creating a boeing 747) so God obviously guided it. and i also believe in the bible. happy?
:rolleyes: Ok, why would any supreme being go to the trouble of waiting 14 billion years when they could just create it in one go?

Just think about how many stars there are... :p thats alot of tornado's. If I was to take 15 packs of cards, and colour each pack a different colour, and I shuffled them then laid them out the odds of that order coming up is (15*52)! Now that is probably less than the chance of the Earth forming on it's own, but it would happen.

Also look at the odds of the Earth forming itself vs the odds of a supreme being with magical powers, who decides to create the universe in a way that takes 14 Billion years to form, then allows humans to evolve then sets down a set of rules to them, and then punishes them. All for his sick sad satisfaction. :)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
The thing about God is that He is beyond Human understanding

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
A typical response shrouded by the religious lie, with the intent of avoiding a logical answer.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
CHRISTIANS should be listening to JESUS, not the Old Testament, the old testament is flawed and stupid, and fundamentalist christians interpret it to their own advantage while ignoring other stuff.

I present one of my favourite pieces of satire:

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend homosexuality, for example, I will simply remind him or her that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other laws in Leviticus and Exodus and how to best follow them. To wit:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Leviticus 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this?
I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as stated in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Leviticus 15:19-24). The problem is, how can I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
Leviticus 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Canadians, but not Mexicans. Can you clarify?
I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
A friend of mine says that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Leviticus 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?
Leviticus 20:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Sincerely,
A devoted listener

source: http://www.commondreams.org/views/071300-106.htm

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
ahhh i love that.....so true....

Dont take the bible literally kids!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)