• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

We have a new pope! (2 Viewers)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I can completely understand the position of the Church in its beliefs regarding sex. I think people have too much of it, and do it with no regards of the responsibilities that it entails. I think it's important that SOMEBODY teaches the world not to have rampant sex, since it belongs in the bedroom between a married couple, and nowhere else.

jennylim

HSC
Phanatical said:
I can completely understand the position of the Church in its beliefs regarding sex. I think people have too much of it, and do it with no regards of the responsibilities that it entails. I think it's important that SOMEBODY teaches the world not to have rampant sex, since it belongs in the bedroom between a married couple, and nowhere else.
mmhmm. kudos to you (and the Church) for having the balls to say it, too.

jennylim

HSC
actually, most churches (and i reckon the Catholic Church is included) think sex is great. and there's no problem about married couples having rampant sex - in fact marriage isn't real without sex. Like, GOD invented sex. it's a GOOD THING and so is sexuality - in the right context. ie, marriage.

as for condoms, well i'm a protestant so we think they're alright. preventative measures are fine but not morning after pills and abortions (at least in our way of thinking)...

but yeah abstinence before marriage and complete fidelity to ur partner afterwards is (for us) the best preventative measure against AIDS.

jennylim

HSC
that's the aim anyway, and of course we fall short of it. as u have kindly pointed out, statistics do show that divorce rates are high - that's not a criticism of the idea, it's a reflection of how people fail to live up to it. what is there to gain from divorcing and remarrying anyway?

oh and about the sex with a person before marriage - basically we think it's good to wait and keep it for then. but that's the general idea - only having sex with one person ever.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
It's the other way round, Asquithian. To engage in sexual relations with somebody Should be the culmination of a developed relationship sealed in Marriage - a Christian might add "with the blessing of God", but it's still a relevant point.

jennylim

HSC
well, lucky you for experiencing one.....but He did, so why bother feeling it anyway?

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Lhyviathan said:
It's times like this that I feel a rush of elitist pride at not being as stupid as a Christian.
I'm not Christian but thats quite offensive you know. I'm sick of people who are non-religious constantly making out Christians or other religious people as simply too stupid to know better and are just caught up in dogma. That may be true to a certain extent but many athiests are caught in just a dogma of their own.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Asquithian said:
Why is marriage the distinguishing point?

...canyou tell me what the culmination of a developed relationship is and when you known it has reached its point? ...and don't say marriage.
oh man.

*whip crack*

amazing.

jennylim

HSC
the idea is that marriage should be a relationship that is strong enough to exist without sex. i realise im going to get flamed for this but i'm just trying to explain (if asquithian is in fact asking a question that he really wants the answer to). sex IS a highly important part of a relationship, but if a relationship can be really strong without it, then sex can only enhance it.

as i said, that's the general idea and i'm only trying to explain here..

jennylim

HSC
Sweets said:
I'm not Christian but thats quite offensive you know. I'm sick of people who are non-religious constantly making out Christians or other religious people as simply too stupid to know better and are just caught up in dogma. That may be true to a certain extent but many athiests are caught in just a dogma of their own.
:p thanks mate

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
Sweets said:
I can't help it.

It's not like I spend my time consciously thinking that I am intellectually superior to Christians (as that would be a stupid generalisation), but sometimes, I just see or hear something that triggers a "what the fuck?!" reflex and makes me shake my head in disbelief.

The notion of God inventing sex is one of these things.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
jennylim said:
the idea is that marriage should be a relationship that is strong enough to exist without sex. i realise im going to get flamed for this but i'm just trying to explain (if asquithian is in fact asking a question that he really wants the answer to). sex IS a highly important part of a relationship, but if a relationship can be really strong without it, then sex can only enhance it.

as i said, that's the general idea and i'm only trying to explain here..
it should be, but does it really have to be?

my boyfriend's parents aren't married. they've been together for decades. It's not an uncommon thing.

my supervisor at work lives with her boyfriend, whom she's dated since she was in Year 12. She's now 27. They have sex, and they're not married.

And I don't think anyone has the grounds to say that their relationship isn't strong.... and that they HAVE to not-have-sex to make sure it's strong...

jennylim

HSC
but if he created the whole world and everything in it...

*sighs*

if he made us, he made us with sexual impulses and animal instincts. and he made us to reproduce the way we do. etc. it's only logical.

jennylim

HSC
just as a random reflection, this has really gone off topic (ie the new pope) lol

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Lhyviathan said:
I can't help it.

It's not like I spend my time consciously thinking that I am intellectually superior to Christians (as that would be a stupid generalisation), but sometimes, I just see or hear something that triggers a "what the fuck?!" reflex and makes me shake my head in disbelief.

The notion of God inventing sex is one of these things.
there's two kinds of intellectual superiority

1. Knowing more than others

2. Knowing more than others, but respecting their views considering you don't understand them, or letting them "catch up" to your superiority by NOT putting them down.

Cuz there are other parts of Christianity that you'd get outrageously irritated about, and I think in this particular occasion, it was un-called for.

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
there's two kinds of intellectual superiority

1. Knowing more than others

2. Knowing more than others, but respecting their views considering you don't understand them, or letting them "catch up" to your superiority by NOT putting them down.

Cuz there are other parts of Christianity that you'd get outrageously irritated about, and I think in this particular occasion, it was un-called for.
Touche.

And you've got me down to a T about certain tenets of the Christian faith really irking me.

Like how my friend (a Catholic) is being made to hate herself for not conforming to "God's will", for something that she can't even help. If she kills herself over this, I'll probably turn into an anti-Christian zealot.

ohne

HSC
I think there is far more to a relationship than sex. If a person is unable to make a commitment to someone else for life without sex, they probably should not be making that commitment in the first place. A commitment to another person for life should be about love in my opinion, not sex.

I don't think sex should be treated as something you try with another person. I also don't think the meaning of life is to have as much sex as possible for pleasure while ignoring what sex is really about and its consequences.

The Holy Father's position on this issue is entirely valid. Ultimately, it is up to each of us to make our own moral judgements on these issues. Unfortunantly some people here appear to be living life with no morals and unsuprisingly these people appear to be the largest criticisers of the Holy Father and the catholic church.

Perhaps we all need to consider more so what the meaning of life is and why we are here. I don't believe it is to live life without any moral values while criticising those who do.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I agree with Asquithian's statement, but perhaps not in the way he meant it. Sex is supposed to be the final culmination of love, and should only be performed under the vow of Marriage because Marriage is a Commitment, or in your field of study, the Contract between two people not to take up relations with other people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)