We made a mistake with Rudd, didn't we? (1 Viewer)

Do you wish Howard had won the last election?

• Yes. Howard was the man we need for the time.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I don't know what all this drama about the 'boat people' is. If there are people genuinely trying to flee from war and a high probability of death, why is it such an issue?

I think John Howard was a damn fine Prime Minister. I didn't particularly like the man, but Australia's done quite well under his leadership. I couldn't help but shake the feeling that he'd lost steam after his long term government, though. Rudd just seemed to have a lot of the issues left ongoing during Howard's era on the checklist. As we've seen, he had *far* too many things to do and when the GFC happened, his political focus was given to that. We haven't seen the 'Broadband revolution', we're only really just getting into the supposed Education Revolution and he hasn't taken an effective stance on climate change either. It still seems debatable that it even exists. He also said he'd fix public hospitals. He's only just starting to get to that. Even then, it seems he's just throwing money at the issue.

I think when the election came round, he seemed like a good idea. So far he's had too much to deal with to implement anything particularly revolutionary. I will be very interested to see the results of this year's election.

nevery

HSC
I don't know what all this drama about the 'boat people' is. If there are people genuinely trying to flee from war and a high probability of death, why is it such an issue?

I think John Howard was a damn fine Prime Minister. I didn't particularly like the man, but Australia's done quite well under his leadership. I couldn't help but shake the feeling that he'd lost steam after his long term government, though. Rudd just seemed to have a lot of the issues left ongoing during Howard's era on the checklist. As we've seen, he had *far* too many things to do and when the GFC happened, his political focus was given to that. We haven't seen the 'Broadband revolution', we're only really just getting into the supposed Education Revolution and he hasn't taken an effective stance on climate change either. It still seems debatable that it even exists. He also said he'd fix public hospitals. He's only just starting to get to that. Even then, it seems he's just throwing money at the issue.

I think when the election came round, he seemed like a good idea. So far he's had too much to deal with to implement anything particularly revolutionary. I will be very interested to see the results of this year's election.
Well said. Sums up my view.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
the home insulation and school stimulus packages were the biggest crock of shit ever

if you had your house insulated with the package, it may burn down

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
Let into Australia? All the liberal party(Not withstanding the Tuckey's and Bernardi's of the world) talks about is combating people smuggling. You don't mean to tell me that this anti boat people rhetoric is just dog whistle rhetoric to justify nationalist notions of keeping asylum seekers out of Australia.
what does this post mean

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
Howard's downfall was Workchoices, then the leadership issue - the issue of the poor polling Costello becoming PM was used by Labor pretty good imo

Then there was Rudd - made promises to do this, that, and the rest. Gets into power and goes on a world trip (Kevin747 lol), gets back and nothing happens. The meager things he has done are bullshit anyway.

Problem is, who the hell will vote for Abbott? He is a crackpot religious nutjob. Apparently he is polling pretty well, which surprises the hell out of me. He is anti-everything; abortion, gays, intelligence... it goes on.
Turnbull was a goer, imo. Pity people viewed him as a wealthy pompous prick, which I did as well; but people acted like he was the only one; ffs they are all like that!

Probably, he's stupid ideaof internet censorship is moronic and will fail.
He distances himself from this, and lets Conroy (the prat!) take the flak.

yeah fucking refugees m8, who do they think they fucking are? If it's not white it's not right m8

Hard line stances on border protection gets votes. It gets votes because, imo, latent racism exists within most people. Hell, I wouldn't like my suburb to become the next Bankstown or Cabramatta by this time next year - I just wouldn't accept it. But, if it happens over the course of a decade, then I either wouldn't notice or wouldn't care because of higher integration; but that's a totally different topic.

Please come back Johnny, we're all ever so sorry!!

Last edited:

aussie-boy

HSC
I really like Rudd:
-In 07, he promised infrastructure spending to easy capacity constraints. We've seen massive upgrades to the freight rail network and ports (e.g. port botany expansion) leading to stuff like the multi $bn coal export contract in QLD
-Proper view on global warming
-Stimulus package got rid of a massive backlog of small scale public sector projects that weren't #1 priority but needed to maintain public capital (school halls, classrooms have huge benefits over 100yrs, dept of housing was able to improve asset portfolio immeasurably)
-NBN bringing us into line with the rest of the world
-Influential in pushing for increase in Asian language teaching in primary schools
-Instituted healthcare reform, which is going to be a HUGE issue in 20 years (intergenerational report!!)
-Henry tax inquiry... Howard stalled on tax reform, this report is revolutionary and will -> economic growth
-Started demise of inefficient state Govs
-Depicts Australia as an intelligent nation... we have a big problem with dumb bogans controlling everything, opposing anything progressive and Howard just pandered to these dregs of society

---

Internet censorship is a non-issue... Conroy's a fool, Rudd knows this but also knows 80%+ of Australians are somewhat scared of the internet - this wont be a big part of the campaign, and probs will get dumped after being blocked by the senate

Last edited:

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
I really like Rudd:
-In 07, he promised infrastructure spending to easy capacity constraints. We've seen massive upgrades to the freight rail network and ports (e.g. port botany expansion) leading to stuff like the multi $bn coal export contract in QLD
-Stimulus package got rid of a massive backlog of small scale public sector projects that weren't #1 priority but needed to maintain public capital (school halls, classrooms have huge benefits over 100yrs, dept of housing was able to improve asset portfolio immeasurably)
-Influential in pushing for increase in Asian language teaching in primary schools
-Instituted healthcare reform, which is going to be a HUGE issue in 20 years (intergenerational report!!)
-Henry tax inquiry... Howard stalled on tax reform, this report is revolutionary and will -> economic growth
-Depicts Australia as an intelligent nation... we have a big problem with dumb bogans controlling everything, opposing anything progressive and Howard just pandered to these dregs of society

---

Internet censorship is a non-issue... Conroy's a fool, Rudd knows this but also knows 80%+ of Australians are somewhat scared of the internet - this wont be a big part of the campaign, and probs will get dumped after being blocked by the senate
your name is a bit of a misnomer isn't it?

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Conroy's a fool, Rudd knows this
So why does Rudd allow him to remain a key minister.

80%+ of Australians are somewhat scared of the internet
Nice made up statistic. Its probably got some truth to it, but most Australians polled actually oppose a compulsory filter because they know it won't work.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
yeah fucking boat people keep em out of my suburb! We have a fucking 40 year mortgage on this Kellyville home and I don't want fucking afghanis blacking up the place!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Labor party member detected.
ETS was hollow symbolism which gave the coal industry almost all of their current output in free permits.
Woefully mismanaged. Schools with 17 kids who already had a library were getting a second one built instead of a hall like they requested.
At a mind boggling cost, several times the quote for what the private sector would do it for.
Half our kids don't know the difference between there/they're/their ~priorities~
It's not health care reform. It's ripping funds out of the states and redistributing them in the exact same way.
It was done months ago, he still hasn't released it. How can you tell it's revolutionary?
Jesus Christ you're ignorant.
My trot girlfriend: "Every time I see Rudd on TV talking to foreign diplomats I feel embarrassed that this gimp is representing Australia. He's so insipid and plastic."

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC
To who? And how is having a job, where before you would have been unemployed, "cancerous" to society?

So insincere apologies for things which we had nothing to do with are the way to go? Oh ok then.

I wasn't actually attacking the shonky building and poor handling of the funds, I was talking more about how school halls are a terrible infrastructure stimulus because they are such a low political priority. But this is a good point anyway. Thank you.

I don't think you'll find many people who would argue that a stimulus wasn't needed. What most of us disagree with is the size and direction the stimulus took.
And you do realise that it doesn't matter if your child is at a five-century old Gothic manor learning from high-tech holograms if the quality of teachers and the school cirriculum are still utter garbage?

Yeah I don't much care for you so I'm not going to respond seriously, except to your first point. You miss the problems workchoices created for the worker. treating him as an expendable tool. there'll be no food on the table for little johnny if daddy is shafted from job to job on minimum wage because john howard was more concerned with the big companies over the worker.

you're the worst kind of human, and are the cancer that is killing /NCAP/

in all my years here, moll, i've never met anyone as awful as you.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Yeah I don't much care for you so I'm not going to respond seriously, except to your first point. You miss the problems workchoices created for the worker. treating him as an expendable tool. there'll be no food on the table for little johnny if daddy is shafted from job to job on minimum wage because john howard was more concerned with the big companies over the worker.

you're the worst kind of human, and are the cancer that is killing /NCAP/

in all my years here, moll, i've never met anyone as awful as you.
Yeah, now Johnny's dad can't find a job at all. Much better.

ac91

HSC
I lovve Kevin Rudd. He's actually assisting us with out education! =)

bazrah

HSC
I don't really think giving university students extra money will also help them get a better education. I mean I appreciate the extra money, but really has anyone who has a prominent position in government been into a university in the last 5 years? University students could do with some extra money, but first they need Alchoholics Anonymous. Goon sales are going to go through the roof in the next few weeks with this 650 dollar scholarship.

iNegro

HSC
I think Rudd's leadership as a labor pm has been rather terrible. Alot of his policies and his large level of conservaticism point more to Liberal party ideals.

I think Howard was one of the worst prime ministers Australia has had and comparing Rudd to someone like him still in my mind, leaves him as a tolerable PM. Howard built up the economy on the reform initiated by Keating.

Keating also did alot more in Aboriginal re-conciliation then Rudd did and wasn't a huge ass kisser like Rudd. Watching videos of Paul Keating in parliament, you see a much more together prime minister with much stronger ideals and a large passion for the country, especially towards society itself.

I can praise someone like Howard on the fact that although many of his choices and policies were disgusting, he didn't spend all his time trying to please the public, he did what he thought was better for the nation, and that man had balls and gets more respect than Rudd in my opinion.

However, I just think that Howard was a backwards and racist Prime Minister and I don't think someone with ideals such as that should be in charge of a country influencing people.

Labor's sudden passion for censorship is however, as bad if not worse than Howards policies.

In my opinion I think Australia's political parties both kind of suck and have since the fall of Keating. Labor has seen great leaders such as Gough Whitlam, Bob Hawke and Paul Keating however, I don't think they've had anyone who fits what a Labor leader should be since Keating.

I can't really decide who I dislike more, but I certainly don't like either of them. I think Rudd might just win for me. JUST.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)