• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Weight Of Your School Bag. (2 Viewers)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
Hopefully your back doesn't strain :rolleyes:
Don't worry. I may not sound (or look) like it but I can easily do weights and everything since I exercise about 2 hours a day.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
So how much force would I have to endure if I carry about 12 kg of weight on my back? (my bag that is)
Oh but these are the forces acting on the schoolbag.

The forces acting on you from the school are the forces of tension in the straps.
To simplify things I'll neglect the mass of the straps and assume you strapped your schoolbag so it isn't slumped and sits snugly on your back and the whole schoolbag including the straps acts as one whole mass.

Analysing in the y-direction to take into account the weight force.
ΣFy = T sin 45 + T sin 45 - mg = ma (Newton's 2nd Law)
ay = 0 with respect to the wearer.

T sin 45 + T sin 45 - mg = 0
2T sin 45 - mg = 0
T = mg / 2 sin 45 = (12kg)(9.8ms-2) / 2 sin 45 = 61 N

m = Fweight/g = 61 N / 9.8ms-2 = 6.22 kg

Health warning, potential distortion of chest bones in your body!
If you can't avoid wearing a 12kg bag, don't make your bag slumped downwards too much.
If you want add more straps in the same direction to spread out the tension lol.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
my school bag is like 500 grams or less
what do you people carry in those things?!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Forbidden. said:
Oh but these are the forces acting on the schoolbag.

The forces acting on you from the school are the forces of tension in the straps.
To simplify things I'll neglect the mass of the straps and assume you strapped your schoolbag so it isn't slumped and sits snugly on your back and the whole schoolbag including the straps acts as one whole mass.

Analysing in the y-direction to take into account the weight force.
ΣFy = T sin 45 + T sin 45 - mg = ma (Newton's 2nd Law)
ay = 0 with respect to the wearer.

T sin 45 + T sin 45 - mg = 0
2T sin 45 - mg = 0
T = mg / 2 sin 45 = (12kg)(9.8ms-2) / 2 sin 45 = 61 N

m = Fweight/g = 61 N / 9.8ms-2 = 6.22 kg

Health warning, potential distortion of chest bones in your body!
If you can't avoid wearing a 12kg bag, don't make your bag slumped downwards too much.
If you want add more straps in the same direction to spread out the tension lol.
Thanks for that, especially my own portrait.

I will get rid of all the unnecessary contents so that my bag can get less in weights. :uhhuh:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You have got to be kidding me. Calculations?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
Thanks for that, especially my own portrait.

I will get rid of all the unnecessary contents so that my bag can get less in weights. :uhhuh:
I could have made you a uber sXc nerd featuring bowl-cut hair, glasses and pocket protector. :p
I save space and weight by carrying a satchel to uni (like those you use to carry laptops) and I rarely carry my 1500-page physics textbook.

Aerath said:
You have got to be kidding me. Calculations?
That's REAL physics.

Last edited:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
Thank god I'm not doing Phys in Uni.
It's basic Physics. Just using Newton's second law and notion of forces acting on an object. Since the bag is at rest in relation to the body, there is 0 force acting on it. Hence 0 acceleration.

Last edited:

tahlzz

HSC
my bag ranges from 7-12kg
which is really bad for your backs
=]

rach19

HSC
On a good day about 5-8kg's but I carry my folders and text books. Somedays I have 2 subjects and tafe others i'll have more.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
everyone's gonna be hunchback
It's a bit off the topic but,

nerdsforever: why do you have sad faces next to your future HSC subjects? You should choose subjects that you like.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
lyounamu said:
It's a bit off the topic but,

nerdsforever: why do you have sad faces next to your future HSC subjects? You should choose subjects that you like.
ohh the sad faces....It's because I dislike the subjects I will be doing.

English: I've never liked English in my life! I always get really bad marks :mad:

Studies of Religion: The school's gonna force me to take it because I need a one unit subject for 12 units. I was thinking of taking Biology because I like it and I do good in Biology related topics, but I cant have 13 units.

Chemistry: Mum has a friend who's daughter works in Pharmacy, so mum's forcing me to take chemistry. I'm taking Chemistry if mum let's me take Ancient History and she agreed :cool:

Economics: Just sounds complicated, but I'll survive :wave:

Yep. I should be choosing the subjects I like, so thats why I'll be choosing Ancient History, but my parents believe I need more high scaling subjects so I'll take Chemistry. Chemistry and Studies of Religion are really the two subjects I sorta dont want to take. Including English, but I dont have control over that.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:

English: I've never liked English in my life! I always get really bad marks :mad:

Studies of Religion: The school's gonna force me to take it because I need a one unit subject for 12 units. I was thinking of taking Biology because I like it and I do good in Biology related topics, but I cant have 13 units.

Chemistry: Mum has a friend who's daughter works in Pharmacy, so mum's forcing me to take chemistry. I'm taking Chemistry if mum let's me take Ancient History and she agreed :cool:

Yep. I should be choosing the subjects I like, so thats why I'll be choosing Ancient History, but my parents believe I need more high scaling subjects so I'll take Chemistry. Chemistry and Studies of Religion are really the two subjects I sorta dont want to take. Including English, but I dont have control over that.
If you choose subjects that you won't like, the last 2 years of your schooling will eventually become the worst two years of your life. First, you will have to handle the stress coming from the subjects that you detest. Trust me - that's the worst feeling ever. Secondly, you will be forced to study for those subjects. Today, I had to suppress the overwhelming reaction coming from my mind while studying for Chemistry. (TWICE!) I nearly killed myself in the process and ended up sleeping for two hours. (totally unexpected waste of time)

Thirdly, it will affect your UAI and hence your Uni course selection. You do not seem to be aware of the effect that those 2 subjects may hold. 2 subjects = 4 units. I really suggest you to drop those subjects immediately next year if you find them either boring or challenging for you.

And your parents shouldn't be making decisions for you. I think you are mature enough to make judgements in regards to the HSC course selection and hence the future career that might be ahead of you.

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
nerdsforever said:

Your school won't let you have 13 units???? Woah..... and I thought my school was shit. If you think you will like bio you should do it instead of chem, they are both science subjects so hopefully that will please your mum.

BRUT

Banned
HSC
My school bag is about 15 kg. No joke. I'm trying to get bigger shoulders, so it's all good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)