Weights in general, problem.. (2 Viewers)

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
FYI, 3 curls isn't a ridiculous amount of curls and I'm not small body-wise. So why would I bother to even troll? I'm asking for help here, for the barbell... I will tell the truth only, but you can believe what ever you want. I successfully just made it to 3 curls, so I'm not just playing around -_-.
Height and weight?

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
3 reps is pretty useless for either strength or mass gains.
Brent you sound experienced with this kind of things. When do you reckon I will have almost no problem doing around 10-12 reps with the 40kg one? I just want your opinion.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
If you're a beginner, you might be better off sticking to compound exercises (bench press, squat, deadlift, pull up, etc.) than isolation exercises. It's important to train your whole body, not just arms and chest. Also, make sure you have a strong core and near-perfect form before you start increasing the weight. Otherwise, you could end up with a serious injury.
Will take this into account, cheers.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I'm not experienced at all lol, I just try to do some research before I get into anything. You need to decide what kind of gains you want first - sets of like 5 reps are good for strength gains but for muscle mass (i.e. what most people are looking for) you'll want to be doing 8-12 reps. You should drop the weight down until you are able to do 10-12 reps instead of doing 3 reps of 40kg and trying to increase the amount of reps you can do.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Height and weight?
Uhh I haven't weighed or measured my height recently, but I don't think I changed tremendously from when last measured. I weigh about 100-102kg and my height is roughly 6'4''.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
I'm not experienced at all lol, I just try to do some research before I get into anything. You need to decide what kind of gains you want first - sets of like 5 reps are good for strength gains but for muscle mass (i.e. what most people are looking for) you'll want to be doing 8-12 reps. You should drop the weight down until you are able to do 10-12 reps instead of doing 3 reps of 40kg and trying to increase the amount of reps you can do.
Are you getting into weight training now?
Gaining muscle mass is my main priority now. Yeah, after I did some research on the places you suggested for me to check out I will drop my weights to 30kg. The 40kg was just me playing around, I just wanted to test it (nothing serious). Even though I saw ones 50kg+, I knew it is pointless now. I hope everything works out with your training Brent.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
There is no way you're legitimately curling 30kg unless you've had prior experience or you're already pretty built.

I'm not huge, but I've been lifting for a while and I'm definitely stronger than a beginner, but I don't reckon I could curl anything close to 40kg even for a single rep.

Oh and unless you're some freak with giant biceps but tiny pecs/tris, you should definitely be able to bench 60kg.

iBibah

HSC

To do that ^ on you first session, perfect form, with your weight and height, and unable to bench 60 kg, is beyond human.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
To do that ^ on you first session, perfect form, with your weight and height, and unable to bench 60 kg, is beyond human.
Yeah, with the 40kg I don't think I was in perfect form, as in positioning. I really did try to bench 60kg.. but I think the reason now is that my arms were already deteriorated by that time. It was the last thing I did during the session I was at the gym. I'm also going to shorten the time I'm doing weights. I don't want to overstrain it again.

I'm looking through video tutorials to know the proper position/form.

UpAndAtThem

HSC
Are you sure the weight of the dbs weren't kilos but pounds? 40 pounds=18kg, 3 reps on 18kg isn't crazy for a beginner especially one that is 100kg.

Frostbitten

HSC
40kg dumbbells is impossible for a beginner. Literally impossible. You're doing something wrong, but if you are so confident take a photo of you doing it sticking your tongue out so we know its not a google picture.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
With the barbell, I tried doing bench press but honestly I couldn't do even 1 rep (even though it supposed to be easier than using dumbbells).

For dumbbells, I just made 3 bicep curls for the 40kg. For the others, especially the 30kg I mainly sticked with bicep curl. Also I forgot to add I did bench press with the 30kg also.

I think I probably know why now though I couldn't do the barbell properly... I didn't take a good break in between when my arms were already very tired.
Describe how you are doing your bicep curls. This exercise is a common one to get poor form in. Did you lock your elbows and only moved your forearms from all the way up on the curl to a full/straight extension on the way down?

jarrodoliver1

HSC
If you're a beginner, you might be better off sticking to compound exercises (bench press, squat, deadlift, pull up, etc.) than isolation exercises. It's important to train your whole body, not just arms and chest. Also, make sure you have a strong core and near-perfect form before you start increasing the weight. Otherwise, you could end up with a serious injury.
Recommending a beginner to do squats and deadlifts. Hmm.. His form is obviously bad enough.

jarrodoliver1

HSC
Are you sure the weight of the dbs weren't kilos but pounds? 40 pounds=18kg, 3 reps on 18kg isn't crazy for a beginner especially one that is 100kg.
@OP, either you need to learn how to lift or read the numbers properly. This is definitely doable.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
nothing wrong with that.
Nothing wrong with that if he has people that are able to tell him how to do it properly. If he doesn't he's going to fuck himself up.

pHyRe

HSC
You did 40lb, which is 18kg. Someone else said it and they are right. There's no way you did 40kg in ONE hand on your first session if you cant bench 60kg. Also, they are completely different muscle groups. Bench is chest and bit on the triceps, curl is all biceps and (for me) bit on the wrist.

To give you reference, although i havent done free weight bench in a while, I could probably push out 5 reps on 60-65ish and i do around 8 reps ~18kg curl with one hand.

Examine

same
HSC
Yesterday, I newly became a member of broadway gym. This is my first time to do weights, use the treadmill and use the bicycle machine . My concern though is when I used the barbell (I'm sure this is the correct name) I struggled to do even 1 up and down motion when it weighed 40kg + the bar, people even came to help me. However, when I used the dumbbell just before I tried the dumbbell, I was able to do 30kg, 35kg and even 40kg with each hand. The 40kg was not easy but certainly doable, i.e. I can sustain it. My question is what do you guys reckon my problem is with the barbell?

Any criticism is appreciated, tell me what I should do to improve. Thanks.
lol m8

There is no way you're legitimately curling 30kg unless you've had prior experience or you're already pretty built.

I'm not huge, but I've been lifting for a while and I'm definitely stronger than a beginner, but I don't reckon I could curl anything close to 40kg even for a single rep.

Oh and unless you're some freak with giant biceps but tiny pecs/tris, you should definitely be able to bench 60kg.
^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)