What advice can year 12 pass on to year 11? (1 Viewer)

petzl

HSC
Hey,
i have just finished year 11 and was wondering if there is any prep i should be doing for year 12 next term? I am currently reading the text 'Brave New World' for HSC english atm.

any other advice would be appreciated

Thanks for your help

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Lots of practise questions for sciences and maths. It always helps to look ahead and teach yourself something from future chapters, but sticking to preliminary revision is just as helpful.

Do some reading during the holidays. Watch movies too, for a list of films and novels relevant to the HSC advanced english course:

Supplementary texts for Physical Journeys
Supplementary texts for Imaginative Journeys
Supplementary texts for Inner Journeys

Depending on which aspect of the Journey your school decides to focus on, of course.

Also take a look at Module C.

For languages, practise speaking, rent some films or borrow books.

Keep the workload reasonably light during the holidays - you don't want to burn out before the term starts. ;)

nwatts

HSC
General Advice:

- Do every essay you're told to do.
- Spend a few days following the completion of a topic/module revising and making notes. Have a day off school if you need to. It's much easier to do this than to do it step-by-step or all at the end.
- Read your set-texts twice. (This is especially important for ext English)
- DO NOT DARE SKIMP ON MATHS HOMEWORK. I learnt this the hard way.
- Keep a study log, ask a teacher/friend to keep you accountable each week.
- Make sure you leave time for your friends. This is the year that you'll value your friends the most.

For the upcoming holiday:

- Sleep lots. Enjoy the holidays. You won't get another real holiday until the HSC finishes.
- Read set-texts/films etc..

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
If you do Major Works - if you procrastinate, you will get pregnant and you will die!...jk
Seriously though, you do *not* want to be caught up doing majors in the middle of trials, do a little bit each day even if you think its absolute bullcrap.

In general - don't wait till things "ease up" so that you can get things done, simply because they never really will. So if you get the opportunity to make an effort, don't put it off just "because". Also make sure you study effectively rather than extensively - if you burn yourself out doing 15 hours a day of inneffective study then you are gonna be useless for the HSC, so do smaller amounts of study and make them effective study sessions.

petzl

HSC
Ok, thanks for that
I have also rented out 'Blade Runner' for english and will watch it tonight.

Would it be worth buying study guides for 2u maths and 1u extension maths and going over them these holidays?

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
unless you have a pitiful maths teacher, i think just doing the homework assigned will be sufficient.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
heres some advice: preprepared essays

i wish somone had told me this when i start yr12 but instead i found out at the last minute. meh atleast i was lucky enough to put it to good use in my trials.

for every single english essay, spend a few hours writing the best most effective essay ever. If you dont know what to do look at other peoples stuff in the resources section of this site and model an essay off it. Then memorise it- seriously its not that hard just memorise an intro, main points, the quotes you will use and thats it, then practise it from memory without cheating.

This is the only way i have found to get a mark above 15/20 in English. Even if you know your shit, your essay just wont be high end if it isnt pre prepared.

Dont leave any major works to the last minute

I left my ext history major work to the last few weeks, then i did a draft and finally i was still writing the main essay the morning i was to hand it in so i got no sleep that night. Still got a decent mark [34/40] but it could have been muich better. And seirously, its not worth it to stress yourself out like that.

Just like aim to do it over the christmas holidays, go to state library for research and basically plan ahead.

Go to parties and get smashed - you will need the relaxation lol

get involved with shit if u can, i wish i had more stuff on my reference like participation in sports or something.

.ben

HSC
do a bit of maths 0.5-1hrs (extensions only) each day to avoid pile upage.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
.ben said:
do a bit of maths 0.5-1hrs (extensions only) each day to avoid pile upage.
That being said, don't assume 2U Maths (if you're doing it) to be easy, because there are more difficult sections of the 2U paper which also require practise.

In fact, there have been several times when I found Extension I to be easier than 2U.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
nwatts said:
General Advice:

- Do every essay you're told to do.
- Spend a few days following the completion of a topic/module revising and making notes. Have a day off school if you need to. It's much easier to do this than to do it step-by-step or all at the end.- Read your set-texts twice. (This is especially important for ext English)
- DO NOT DARE SKIMP ON MATHS HOMEWORK. I learnt this the hard way.
- Keep a study log, ask a teacher/friend to keep you accountable each week.
- Make sure you leave time for your friends. This is the year that you'll value your friends the most.

For the upcoming holiday:

- Sleep lots. Enjoy the holidays. You won't get another real holiday until the HSC finishes.
- Read set-texts/films etc..
:uhhuh: how i wish i knew!!!!

jessied

HSC
The best pieces of advice I have are...

*DON'T STRESS OUT.. There is live after the HSC (for the 1000th time)
*If you don't feel like studying then don't. You'll just waste time and get nothing out of it. Go for a walk, have a nap/sleep, go to bed early, do some exercise, watch TV, read a book etc..
*As everyone has said, DO MATHS HOMEWORK, espically for extension.. Past papers/questions are they key for maths
*I had a job for year 12, as much as everyone likes to tell you not to have a job I found it really good. (I only work 8-10 hours a week) Besides the money, my work is a very social and it was/still is a good release.. That being said, if you have a job doing night fill or something like that then maybe you should try working during the afternoon or on the weekend
*Do your assessment tasks as soon as possible. A girl in my year did all her assessment tasks the day before they were due and slept for the next couple of days at school after.. Not Recommended
*Listen in class. Again I know it's been said a thousand times but if you listen in class and do your homework your halfway there
*Get heaps of feedback from your teachers and make sure they go through your half yearly and trial exams so you know where to improve

Hope that helps :)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Serius said:
heres some advice: preprepared essays
No.
To thread starter: Practice essays are great as they build your skills and your familiarity with the module and the scope of what could be asked. In fact if you don't do practice essays then you'll be in trouble, however regurgitation is no good in essays - if after 12+ years in school you can't write an essay on a topic you practice on for a year without regurgitating then there is an issue.
There is however a thread labelled "Memorising Essays", presenting both sides of this debate in the Advanced forum which you can check out.

petzl

HSC
Thanks for all that info guys it should really help. Im not too worried about doing much work these holidays, im just going to enjoy them.

By the way i finished watching Blade Runner and it is the worst movie i have every seen in my life! (thats the truth). im not looking forward to studying it next year, oh well I hope Brave New World is better.

rama_v

HSC
petzl said:
Thanks for all that info guys it should really help. Im not too worried about doing much work these holidays, im just going to enjoy them.

By the way i finished watching Blade Runner and it is the worst movie i have every seen in my life! (thats the truth). im not looking forward to studying it next year, oh well I hope Brave New World is better.
Dotn worry, Bladerunner gets better the more times you see it. At least when compared to BNW ;)

nwatts

HSC
petzl said:
No way, it's a fantastic film. So much style! It's like film-noir on steriods, in the future! Brave New World is an interesting text, if a little dated. 1984 is much better, and is of quite similar concept/genre.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Make short-term goals keeping in mind the long term goal

Don't procrastinate and leave assessments to the last minute [Oh God if only I practised what I preach!]

Listen in class, don't skip or sleep through any assessment days [Heh.]

Don't believe the people who say they haven't studied at all. They're white liars, kill them but make sure you leech notes and advice you can get

Do a bit of Math's everyday and avoid non-study friends who insist on state library visits to 'study' when they want to snap you with their camphone in a compromising position...Ok I digress! But you get the idea, eliminate distraction...only to weekends

Know your text inside out, enough to ad lib on the spot when thrown an essay qn.

Get feedback and draft everything! it's better if you suck up to the teacher's NOW.

Check if a timetable works for you, if not make a realistic list for that day

and throw your computer out the window and make sure msn, any form of communication to the outside world is disconnected for the next year. if you find that the computer is a problem, go to the state library and chain yourself to those quiet study cubicles...there's an Act Now thread by stazi somewhere on BoS...

3G'sMt5:16

HSC
EVERYONE .. something happened to HSC ONLINE right now... OMgum... YOU CANT GO IN!!!!!!!
EVERYONE .. something happened to HSC ONLINE right now... OMgum... YOU CANT GO IN!!!!!!!

HSC
put 110% in EVERY assessment, if you flunk one and destroy the rest, that 10% that you went bad in comes back to bite you in the ass and strips you of first place (no joke)

my teacher told me a student at james ruse who got 99 in SDD did all the past papers by end of term 4 (by the time term 1 year 12 starts) so if you're aiming for a nice high UAI i recommend you top one or two of your subjects in the state

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)