What are the limits in Creative Writing? (1 Viewer)

acemusic415

HSC
Like the title says, I was just curious, does the Board of Studies have certain regulations or restrictions in terms of Creative Writing. For example, if I were to write a rape - in a sophisticated and subtle matter of course, are marks deducted? Teachers often say its sensitive, but in my school teachers have various viewpoints about it. Some say its okay if it's the driving force of the story and its essentially, the establishment of the story, then that's fine. Whereas other teachers, disagree and say its completely inappropriate etc.

Does anybody know if the Board of Studies state that such content is prohibited? Or is it just a 'suggestion?'

Cheers

SK2010

HSC
No I don't suppose, but however I think it depends who you are writing for.

You need to now your target audience e.g. the teachers at school (how old are they and what do you think they might like in a creative - if they are old they may like war stories or something like that).

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
No I don't suppose, but however I think it depends who you are writing for.

You need to now your target audience e.g. the teachers at school (how old are they and what do you think they might like in a creative - if they are old they may like war stories or something like that).
OP: Don't listen to this. You don't want to stereotype your markers. This is terrible advice, ok.

As far as I'm concerned, sexual assault isn't inappropriate to have as a theme in your creative writing, so long as you address it in a tasteful way. Just be aware that it can be something of a cliche.

acemusic415

HSC
Yeah, I was just very curious - it's not like extreme violence or anything, with people's heads getting cut off excessively. I don't recall the Board of Studies explicitly stating that it is prohibited and as a result marks being taken away.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
rape is such an ugly word, you should use the term surprise sex xD

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Other subjects have limits on what you can do i.e. Drama and performance nudity. However, I don't believe there is anything strictly forbidden in English.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
yeah, but remember, such themes may disgust the marker, particularly if they're conservative. Also, even if you do use it, you have to fidn the hrad balance between not making it too graphic and yet it being a powerful emotional scene

acemusic415

HSC
Some markers may see the use of a really strong topic (such as rape) as a feeble attempt to replace an artful plot. Be careful.
Would that perception be altered, if it's written well such as strong use of techniques and language etc?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Would that perception be altered, if it's written well such as strong use of techniques and language etc?
Of course. It's all in how you do it.

evnchrist

HSC
i wouldnt bet my hsc on a story about rape no matter how subtle
your not next to the marker as they read your story to justify it and argue your case.

or.. another way could be to refer to the incident, such as rape, as the past ,say a character cries and says wat happend ..as opposed to you describing the act or implying its happening within your writing..

just my opinion

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Although self-censorship resulting in quality loss is ridiculous, and you shouldn't feel obligated to change things.

Eddykungfu

HSC
End your story in a dream, or the main character suiciding and you should tick all the boxes.

gesh17

HSC
N/A
The HSC English course is awfully biased and while nearly all markers are generally open-minded, some topics still remain taboo. I'm not entirely sure about "rape" but I probably wouldn't take that risk. Try writing about something that is more universal and transcends age differences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)