What are the major disadvantages of taking a gap year? (2 Viewers)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, for me if I defer - I would lose a scholarship.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've been on holidays for the past 3 months. Even though I've had work, sports etc to keep me busy, I've been bored out of my wits.

To relieve said boredom, I've been having study cravings.

I can't imagine the amount of boredom that would be associated with a gap year.

thrillkiller

HSC
I've been on holidays for the past 3 months. Even though I've had work, sports etc to keep me busy, I've been bored out of my wits.

To relieve said boredom, I've been having study cravings.

I can't imagine the amount of boredom that would be associated with a gap year.
This. I'd go insane lol

HSC
Uni Grad
Boredom. More prone to procrastination. That was the result of mikelseo. He dropped out of adv maths at USYD, did a gap year, did nothing and just started procrastinating heaps. This was where his trolling came from :L

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
You need a solid plan to tide you over such a long period of time.

If you don't have anything worth doing, then you'll be wasting your time.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Boredom. More prone to procrastination. That was the result of mikelseo. He dropped out of adv maths at USYD, did a gap year, did nothing and just started procrastinating heaps. This was where his trolling came from :L
I keep hearing about this guy. Who is he?

blurp

HSC
i wanna take a gap year so i can think of what to do in uni like seriously think and not make any mistakes in choosing. I can defer the course i've already got now but my main concern is about me being classed in the non year 12 applicants when i reapply later this year.. :(

blurp

HSC
Can anyone tell me whether it would be a risk taking a gap year... in terms of getting into something else, cuz if i reapply my atar will still be considered right? I just need to get over the cut off?

pasta8

HSC
I took a gap year and absolutlely loved it --> as long as you have something to keep you busy there are no disadvantages I can think of, unless of-course you risk losing a scholarship. When you apply again for uni after taking a gap year they use your same ATAR and as long satisfies the cut-off you're in; and If you're deferring you guaranteed the spot anyway.

Some of my friends traveled, but I just worked and by the end of the year I was really looking forward to study again, and by taking a year off it really helped me be motivated to study and uni. Also since saved up lots of money, it put a lot of pressure off my shoulders so I could focus of studying and achieving the marks I needed to transfer to the course I wanted to initially get in.. plus it's nice to have extra cash in you're pockets while you're studying at uni.

So unless you have a particular reason you need to study straight out of high school or you're really eager to study again.. there isn't really any disadvantages of taking a gap year.. taking a year longer to get the degree you want isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things

M@ster P

HSC
a disadvantage could be after a year of not studying, you cbf going back to study and abandon uni altogether which is unlikely but could happen

blurp

HSC
I really want to take a gap year to figure out what i wanna do but I'm too scared of regretting... cuz like employers could see i took one on my resume.. this might be bad..

kasakiki

HSC
Uni Grad
don't worry, employers could give less of a stuff if you took a gap year or not. So long as you have something lined up to be doing in your gap year, aka full time job, then by the end of it, you are in a better financial position, you know what working in an actual job is like.
also, applying as a "mature age student" isn't that hard so long as you've done something productive with yourself in the interim to put in your application.
The "bored out of my mind" thing is true, i was happy to go off to uni after my gap year, was ready for something a bit more challenging.
Best of luck!

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I didn't mind my gap year, spent all of it working full time. Accumulated lots of electronics and have some money put aside. And because I was working pretty much every day (And reffing on the weekends in winter so I never had a day to myself) I quite enjoyed it and it got my ready for uni because I got the drive to actually do something.

go-go_6

HSC
N/A
I think gap years are a great idea IF THE ARE STRUCTURED! If they aren't they can be very unsuccessful! I am planning on myself (check out the website gap rap it has heaps of planning advice). I am going to asia for the first 6 months and then I will sit my umat in Singapore in July, which will defiantly keep me occupied! I am still working on the rest of the year but I have many ideas :) :)

DeeAndLife

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm in my gap year now, working full time in the job I've had since year 10. It keeps me busy and I'm doing a Retail Cert II, as my work organises and sets it all up for us when we go full time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)