What are your final UAC preferences? (1 Viewer)

HSC
you can only recieve one offer at any one time, so no you wont get three letters/offers. you will only recieve an offer for your highest ranked prefrence for which you qualified.

eg.
if you qualified for your 1st prefrence, you will get that offer.

if you then decline that offer, you will instantly and automatically get an offer from your 2nd highest ranked prefrence for which you qualified

and so on and so on..
No, if you decline your first preference you don't get another offer.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
No, if you decline your first preference you don't get another offer.
What!? That is so stupid! Why would that be???

What if someone got their first preference at USYD but then extenuating circumstances forced them to move to Bathurst or something, where they would quite happily go to their 2nd preference at Charles Sturt? :( Man, that just seems so unfair considering if something comes up, you can't go to uni!

HSC

What if someone got their first preference at USYD but then extenuating circumstances forced them to move to Bathurst or something, where they would quite happily go to their 2nd preference at Charles Sturt? :( Man, that just seems so unfair considering if something comes up, you can't go to uni!
Exact same situation with me. My 1st/2nd preferences are the wrong way round thanks to the UAC server lagging around 11:45pm. My fault in the end for leaving it too long.

What you can do is accept your first offer and then apply again in the later rounds. This might cost extra however.

Oh the reason they do this is because all the offers are computerised and they don't want to give people more than one offer as that's not giving a good indication of the number of people in each course.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

I think what 51684 and jellybelly59 were saying was that you won't get another offer instantaneously, but you may get other offers in later rounds (ie, you won't get another main round offer).

HSC
Is there some way you can tell the university to decline my offer?

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
I think what 51684 and jellybelly59 were saying was that you won't get another offer instantaneously, but you may get other offers in later rounds (ie, you won't get another main round offer).
oh really? well that totally skews my perception :/

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Yes because four months to make up your mind wasn't enough - god forbid if you couldn't change your mind in the last 15 minutes.
Narh..but I had my preferences all ready to be CHANGED to the way I wanted it in the last and BEFORE the 15 mins..but I couldn't because the UAC server is crap and was too way overloaded

Andi0390

HSC
What you can do is accept your first offer and then apply again in the later rounds. This might cost extra however.
It doesn't cost extra! Which is good, because it already costs too much in the first place.

This is the way it works (I believe): "University A" has 100 spots in Course B. 500 people apply for course B and only 100 get accepted. The 100th person to get accepted's ATAR becomes the new cut off.

Lets say though, that 10 people out of those 100 also applied through VTAC or something and got into a course they would prefer, so they turn down their spots. Lets say another 5 defer.

So now there are 15 spots left in Course B. In the late round there might be 300 applicants but they might not all be the original ones who all had ATARs lower than the cutoff. There may be new applicants with higher ATARs or just the ones with lower ATARs. It is my impression then that the 15 most eligible get accepted into Course B. So the admission rank for the course could go up or down.

All the university wants to do is fill all its spots with the best students possible.

If universities gave out offers to everyones top three, it is possible that they could be 3x over enrolled - or they would have to give their offers to less people which could result in them being very underenrolled. Also, giving multiple offers out would effectively raise the entrance rank, as the spots would be filled by those with higher ATARs.

Look guys, university isn't the be all and end all. If you don't like your course just consider deferment, or transfer. Its not like this one offer round is going to determine your future forever. Don't let it bring you down. See what you get and then make the best possible decisions.

chefman21

HSC
N/A
hey does adv. maths allow you to work in finance even though you don't have a commerce degree?
Absolutely... Especially if you tack a Post Grad degree on at the end in Commerce or of similar ilk. You'll probably end up at a think tank rather than in a business though...

LM2009

HSC
1. B Veterinary Science @ USyd
2. B Science (Advanced) @ USyd
3. B Medical Science @ USyd
4. B Medical Science @ UNSW
5. B Science (Advanced Science) @ UNSW
6. B Education (Secondary: Science)/B Science @ USyd
7. B Animal and Veterinary Bioscience @ USyd
8. B Science/B Arts @ UNSW

I'd be happy with one or two. Three through five would be acceptable, and let's just saying I'm hoping it won't come down to the rest.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Absolutely... Especially if you tack a Post Grad degree on at the end in Commerce or of similar ilk. You'll probably end up at a think tank rather than in a business though...
Will I be allowed to fire bullets?

wonsta

HSC
1. uts science
2. uts environment siecne
3. unsw science
4. usyd science
5. usyd art
6. information tech uncle ( got an early offer)

anyone know why i did not receive any offer from uts? my atar is over the cut off about 0.55 and 1.3 for each courses

jet

Banned
HSC
Well, I could be totally wrong. That's just what I believe. [Though admittedly, I think I'm right.]
He is right :)

if everyone got an offer for the courses they were eligible for then it would be a nightmare; everyone might tend towards the one degree and quotas for certain courses would be greatly exceeded.

That's what the preference system is for. You tell UAC what you most want to do and they try to accomodate you with the other many applicants' preferences.

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Its not the end of the world anyways..:monkey::monkey::monkey:..like they really do say "You've got nothing to lose in life - so just have a go at whatever you want to do anyways"

Last edited:

ashllis92

HSC
B Science (adv.)/Arts UNSW
B Nursing UOW
B Medicinal Chemistry UNSW
B Science/Arts UNSW
B Science UOW

I only bothered with 5 because my ATAR was 6 above last years cutoff for my first pref (including bonus points) so I'm reasonably confident I'll gert in

uac.aplcnt

HSC
My preferences that I am SORT of happy about having:

1 B Science (Applied Chemistry) @ UTS

2 B Science (Applied Physics) @ UTS

3 B Science (Nanotechnology) @ UTS

4 B Science (Flexible) @ UTS

5 B Science (Mathematics/Statistics) @ UTS

6 B Engineering General Dip Eng Practice @ UTS

7 B Engineering Civil Dip Eng Practice @ UTS

8th or 9th preference was an engineering or science degree at UWS or something.. cant remember.

:music: :music: :chainsaw: :music: :music:

BTW anyone want/like my preferences? lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)