What are your strongest subjects? (1 Viewer)

HAX0R

HSC
Maths
Maths
Maths
Maths
Maths
Maths
Maths
Maths

GabbyS

HSC
Strengths: Studies of Religion, French Cont., English
Weaknesses: Chem, maths :(

bluecrisps

HSC
Strengths: Studies of Religion, French Cont., English
Weaknesses: Chem, maths :(
Might I inquire, how does one study for English and have an expanded complex vocabulary to bamboozle teachers? :(

iEatOysters

HSC
^
According to my teacher, English teachers don't like verbosity.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe this is normal.
It doesn't compute with the logic I've built up over 12 years of schooling, how does one rank higher in a larger cohort than a lower cohort ie. for 6/70 for 2U and 13/26 for 3U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

iEatOysters

HSC
@HSC2014 I was referring to the post above OTL

ph3w.....
but in that case what do teachers like?! :O perhaps.. ninjas?! :ninja:
HAHAHA. Nekminnit, Naruto belonging creative gets 20/20.
Honestly, no idea. They must be the most contradictory people ever D: They like simplistic yet sophisticated language that is succinct and to the point??

bluecrisps

HSC
^yea.. this is why i suck at english -.-
and wow just realised that Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Bleach and every other mainstream anime is about belonging lol
too bad the HSC is "all my own work" ;)

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
It doesn't compute with the logic I've built up over 12 years of schooling, how does one rank higher in a larger cohort than a lower cohort ie. for 6/70 for 2U and 13/26 for 3U
Now that I think about it again, yeah it is kind of strange. I ranked higher in 2U than 3U but I think that is attributed due to the fact that one silly in 2u dropped people like 50 ranks. 3u may be more of a true indicator of your rank relative to the cohort.

@iEatOysters
Sarcasm, sarcasm. :p (Actually I don't think the term is sarcasm - meh)

Last edited:

dnai

HSC
english advanced > business > extension > art > religion > maths > economics.

after exams i predict:
extension > art > business > advanced > economics > maths > religion.

Last edited:

GabbyS

HSC
Might I inquire, how does one study for English and have an expanded complex vocabulary to bamboozle teachers? :(
Read, read, and read some more! Learning a second language can also aid greatly in your understanding of English, particularly French or German or Latin, where a lot of our words originate from. However, it's not the vocabulary you have, it's how you use it. Don't become one of those ridiculous people who overuse their thesaurus and riddle their writing with words they don't understand.

GabbyS

HSC
Also want to add: vocabulary is only useful if you have control over it. A few carefully chosen, specific words in an essay can turn an idea your presenting from being average to being fantastic. Use vocabulary to show exactly what you know and what you want to convey succinctly, not writing an essay being like "LOOK AT MY VOCAB!!!"

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
I don't know about everyone else, but when I write on the spot it sounds like absolute crap. T_T Any tips?

GabbyS

HSC
I don't know about everyone else, but when I write on the spot it sounds like absolute crap. T_T Any tips?
I find that mind-mapping really helps me, as I learn and remember things quite well visually. What I do before an exam is have my prepared essay (or whatever) and for each idea/concept/theme/etc. I do an individual mind map, and branching off from it I have not only techniques and analysis, but key phrases and vocabulary I've used to portray my idea. This technique works well if you're a visual learner and want to be able to create a well-thought out effect in an on the spot essay without going down the "memorise every word" route. Also practice makes perfect! Just practice writing a single body para on the spot every now and again and it becomes more natural as you develop your style :)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Know your texts inside and out! When you write an essay, make sure your argument is sustained all the way through and has strong evidence to back it up :) If your argument is strong, then usually its enough to get away with. But if you're scared add a few sophisticated words here and there :p

Also, start with a plan! Often, your thesis will be the first thing that pops into your head, so use that and develop all your ideas for that and go for it. It also takes a lot of practise to be able to do that so familiarise yourself with different questions before you head into the exam :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)