What are your strongest subjects? (1 Viewer)

ChemicalChimera

HSC
Know your texts inside and out! When you write an essay, make sure your argument is sustained all the way through and has strong evidence to back it up :) If your argument is strong, then usually its enough to get away with. But if you're scared add a few sophisticated words here and there :p

Also, start with a plan! Often, your thesis will be the first thing that pops into your head, so use that and develop all your ideas for that and go for it. It also takes a lot of practise to be able to do that so familiarise yourself with different questions before you head into the exam :3
I agree with what you're saying. However, I don't think it is smart to remember a text "inside and out". What could be of more benefit and efficiency (so you can dedicate your time elsewhere), is to memorise 3 quotes from the beginning, 3 quotes from the middle and 3 quotes from the end. And with those quotes only, be incredibly specific as you respond to the question (with links of course).

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I agree with what you're saying. However, I don't think it is smart to remember a text "inside and out". What could be of more benefit and efficiency (so you can dedicate your time elsewhere), is to memorise 3 quotes from the beginning, 3 quotes from the middle and 3 quotes from the end. And with those quotes only, be incredibly specific as you respond to the question (with links of course).
You can know a text inside and our without literally commuting the entire text to memory, I'm pretty sure the poster was talking about knowing about the text's engagement with major themes and with its context, as well as techniques and recurring motifs.

ChemicalChimera

HSC
You can know a text inside and our without literally commuting the entire text to memory, I'm pretty sure the poster was talking about knowing about the text's engagement with major themes and with its context, as well as techniques and recurring motifs.
Oh of course, these things should be a given in any student wishing for a 20/20. Only trying to give more practical advice over general commonplace ones. :)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Oh of course, these things should be a given in any student wishing for a 20/20. Only trying to give more practical advice over general commonplace ones. :)
I didn't give the advice, I just explained the meaning of the phrase.

historia

HSC
English and history, humanities in general, terrible at maths

historia

HSC
^ :p not that historia, although I know what you're talking about. Couldn't think of a username, I had my ancient textbook open and it was the first word I saw.

michelleeeee

HSC
mine seem to change drastically from year to year,
it used to be maths for sure, then science, and now its english and the humanities

suika

HSC
Probably Legal Studies. I really need to improve with everything else.

noodlesareyum

HSC
sciences>maths>economics>english
science is interesting
I enjoy maths
economics is okay
english.. FML

raggiedoll

Scumbag
HSC
French>SOR II>English>Legal>Modern

SOR II - the teachers mark my essays way too softly, I've consistently gotten 19/20 for each exam essay even at the beginning of prelim when I did shit all. Hopefully this trend continues and I don't eventually get fucked over in externals.

French is the easiest for me when I'm sitting in the classroom but I tend to fuck up in certain sections of the exams because I don't answer the questions properly (in the English sections)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)