What Courses does everyone want to do? (1 Viewer)

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
nah.. 9 choices is more than enuff for me!
i always wanted to study fashion and the only course there is..is at uts b design (fashion & textiles)...
but obviously i gotta hav other options cos if that doesn't turn out then yeah.. :(
so now i'm lookin into nutrition/dietetics..and kinda sorta into marketing..
is scholarships counted as part of ur choices?? :confused:

debugz

HSC
thats the thing
practicly everyone changes there preferences once they get their UAI's. You have a few weeks i think, after ur UAI's are released, to log onto UAC to change ur preference... Just fill in crap now... but make sure u change them... m yfriend was too lazy to change hers, now shes doing some bodgy course

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah it would b heaps better....but....the thing is, UAI cutoffs are also determined by the demand for the course, so they have to kno how everyone's preferences b4 creating the cutoffs

Nelly

Originally posted by beebeez

but hey know anything about schlaroships??

they are cuonted as part of your choices right??
If you want to get a Scholarship, you have to contact the university yourself, and enrol in a scholarship program. I know for UOW that if you want to get a scholarship, you have to fill out an applciation form, send it to them, and on your UAC application have the course that you applied in the scholarship for.

What type of scholarship were you looking at?

beebeez

probably the sydney one and if i'm confident i'll try out the UNSW one....but man they are so hard to get....

i dont want to be rejected over and over again....

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
i want to do either writing and contemporary cultures at UTS, or design and art education at COFA, or design at NIDA, or architecture at UTS. i say F*** those wankers who say that you should aim higher, cos they don't know what the hell they're talking about. i know all about that crap, i have a doctor and nurse as parents and go to james ruse. i know all about tossers who are like, if you don't become a) a lawyer b) a doctor c) an accountant d) an engineer then you're a loser. so even if i was paid a million dollars to be a doctor i'd rather be an usher at the crappiest, most trashiest theatre in town.

sunny

meh.
HSC
I'm hoping to do Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology Advanced at usyd. That needs UAI of 94 + portfolio, I think thats pretty achievable right now, but the course has an intake of TEN!

But theres the same course but without the 'Advanced' and that only needs 84 and has an intake of 150.

jenster

i really want to do communucation - journalism at charles sturt. i am so hoping i get in. i do no work though so i'm not even really trying. maybe i'll come around and get my ass in to gear. anyone else want to go to CSU? i have to get away from home!!!!! let me out of here!

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Jenster, thats really funny cause i live near CSU and every time we are out there my mums always going 'gee, wouldnt this be a nice place to go to uni...' she is terrible at being subtle. I am like you, desperate to get away from home and ANU is looking pretty good at the moment

Morgues

Originally posted by sunny
I'm hoping to do Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology Advanced at usyd. That needs UAI of 94 + portfolio, I think thats pretty achievable right now, but the course has an intake of TEN!

But theres the same course but without the 'Advanced' and that only needs 84 and has an intake of 150.
UAI of 84 and only an intake of 150?
Geez the portfolio must really be something

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
Hey Tim, is Bachelor of Science in Information Technology at UTS good (as in your career propects and stuff?
could you email me with little info and what UAI did you need - sounds interesting

sunny

meh.
HSC
Actually checking those numbers...BCST is 84, portfolio considered if you are under the cutoff, and BCST Advanced is actually 96.25 or portfolio. Though I think it really means 'and'

sunny

meh.
HSC
If you just happen to have bombed your HSC, and you've just missed the cutoff for your course, sometimes they will accept a portfolio. A resume of your work if you like....then they will consider accepting you for the course even if you haven't reached the cut off.

This is particularly true in the more hands on courses like computer science, most of the time they will expect portfolios that show your programming experience. This way people that are genuinely good programmers (but bad study'ers) aren't disadvantaged.

sunny

meh.
HSC
It'd be what you'd write in a normal resume, like a letter of application, why you think you're good for the course, your credits, skills, references, etc...

Then of course some programs to show off your programming skills! :D

Most of the time, if you look at the details for the course they will list what is expected in the portfolio and the due date for it (if you miss this due date, they will only consider you based on your UAI, so you want to find out about these as soon as you can).

In some courses, a portfolio is a must, just to show that not only have you got the UAI for the course, but you've got the right stuff as well.

jenster

come to csu smegger! ...or i could go to anu, actually canberra uni is my other option. i'm not fussed as long as it's out of here! don't get me worng i love sydney and i love the city buuuuuuuuuut it's all to familiar for now. i want something new and i don't want to live with my brother anymore! he hogs my computer. does he not understand that i have an hsc to do!?!?

Anton

HSC
Arts baby. Arts.
Sure, I'll probably get 90+ (as I go to a nerd school and well, everyone does - the nerdiness rubs off a little), but what's the point in doing something I'm not interested in. I may do Arts/Languages or Media/Arts Communications, but basically Arts is my thing, just to increase my knowledge and then go on to a cadetship or just a job at a magazine or newspaper as a low-paid but disconcertingly fun-having journalist.

Rock on,
Anton

sunny

meh.
HSC
liz, in the booklets that you get from unis about courses they will tell you whether a portfolio will be accepted for that particular course. If it doesn't say when it needs to be in by, you'll probably find it on the website for that course or department. If not, contact that department and ask them for a due date.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)