What Courses does everyone want to do? (1 Viewer)

Lee

Originally posted by smegger_em
Does anyone else have relatives/teachers/old people/random strangers ALWAYS asking what they want to do and get really frustrated and feel like telling them that you want to be a fireman?
Anyway i think i want to do either speech pathology or teaching, only i feel like i should be 'aiming higher' you know, doing a law degree or something smart like that to challenge myself, but i dont really want to and then evil careers advisors tell you (not me, actually my friend) that you could get a great scholarship if only you were pregnent....
Thats kinda were the fireman story comes in, it takes a lot less time to say that then to explain the above crap

i've worked out what i say to them. i want to be a actor on neighbours and then quit and be a singer. thats all before i;m 20. then i want to be a doctor and a lawyer and make lots of cash and retire when i'm 30:)

Lee

Originally posted by jenster
come to csu smegger! ...or i could go to anu, actually canberra uni is my other option. i'm not fussed as long as it's out of here! don't get me worng i love sydney and i love the city buuuuuuuuuut it's all to familiar for now. i want something new and i don't want to live with my brother anymore! he hogs my computer. does he not understand that i have an hsc to do!?!?

i'm with you all the way!

Anton

HSC
As someone said, yeah I do feel like I should be 'aiming higher.' Odds are, I'll get around 90+, and yet I still only want to do Arts. Because I'm interested in history, philosophy, and I want to be a journalist (that's all about contacts anyway, not a degree). My grandma absolutely LOVES telling me to be a lawyer, doctor, real estate agent, professional golfer (I've had 8 golf lessons and played around 4 times, but apparently this is a realistic aim) and so on.

Anton

Mog

Well I want to go to Sydney Conservatorium and major in clarinet performance in the Bachelor of Music course.
Hopefully I get in, I don't need a specific UAI, just a decent one, cos you get in by audition alone which happens at the end of Nov/early Dec.

blake

Bah, I love how people are so modest, "I'll probably end up getting 90+ for my UAI, but I dont know what to do!". I'll probably end up with a mark of around 70 and struggle to get into my course I want to get in (either computer science or computer engineering). And guess what? You can all kiss my arse!

Anton

HSC
Blake, seeing as I was the only one to say that, then why not direct your comments at me as opposed to the vague, general statement you just wrote?
Either way, I said I'd probably get 90+ or so because odds are, I will. I go to a pretty nerdy school, where 140/160 people got 90+ last year, and odds are that this year will be much the same. I don't think I'm particularly cool or mind-numbingly intelligent because I'll probably get a decent HSC mark. And I fully prop you for knowing what you want to do and having some aims, and if I could give you my HSC mark, I legitimately would, because I couldn't give a shit. Which was the point I was making - I'll probably do well, but I don't care because I only want to do Arts.

So you know what you can do mate? Get your hand off it.

Anton

Morgues

Just wondering Anton are you still motivated to put in the effort? If arts is what you want to do are youstill putting in the kind of effort that will get you a 90+ mark?

Anton

HSC
I've thought about that. I suppose it's just to prove I can. Also because I've been at school for 13 years, may as well do well in the last year there (I've never done particularly well at school). I may as well as hard as possible (which isn't very hard really) to make sure I do get 81 to get in to Arts, because you never know what mark you could end up with.
And maybe I might want to get in to a different course at the end of year. I'm here in yr. 12, may as well go out and try to get 90 eh?

Anton

staree

HSC
N/A
good on ya anton!

plus, with arts you dunno if the bloody unis will jump the uai cutoff by lots again...... grrrrrrrr at the 70 --> 77 jump last year...... yay for EAS and geographical isolation......

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Like Anton I want to do arts so the entry level is very acchievable, but unlike him I have found it really hard to keep motivated, I am just to busy and then i think oh well, it doesnt matter. And it doesn but I still feel like i am going to be disapointed later on that I didnt put the effort in.

Oh and if you think you have it bad your grandmother telling you to be a doctor/lawyer/professional golfer you should see mine. Her ideas of careers advice is telling me not to eat anymore cake cuase then I will get fat and not get a husband!

blake

Originally posted by Anton
Blake, seeing as I was the only one to say that, then why not direct your comments at me as opposed to the vague, general statement you just wrote?
Either way, I said I'd probably get 90+ or so because odds are, I will. I go to a pretty nerdy school, where 140/160 people got 90+ last year, and odds are that this year will be much the same. I don't think I'm particularly cool or mind-numbingly intelligent because I'll probably get a decent HSC mark. And I fully prop you for knowing what you want to do and having some aims, and if I could give you my HSC mark, I legitimately would, because I couldn't give a shit. Which was the point I was making - I'll probably do well, but I don't care because I only want to do Arts.

So you know what you can do mate? Get your hand off it.

Anton
tissue?

Anton

HSC
No thanks blake, I'll be right.

You've got one of THOSE grandmas eh smegger? That's a bastard. My grandma used to be much the same (especially to my mum and uncles); basically a total bitch. But she's matured a bit now and just sticks to going in to bizarre diatribes and whingey rants. But overall I like her.

Anton

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Shes also one of those weird grandmas, you know the ones in stupid american movies. She does strange things. Like she was visiting us and she put her petticoat in the fridge, no reason for it. And she talks to the people on the tv, like yells at them. But shes a good cook...which is where the me being transformed to a staving ethoiopian child every holiday comes from.

souldancer

aeronautical eng for me, and at adfa in canberra. only prob, last years uai cutoff was somethinglike 97, n im repeating from a uai of 44.5 :(

blake

Originally posted by souldancer
aeronautical eng for me, and at adfa in canberra. only prob, last years uai cutoff was somethinglike 97, n im repeating from a uai of 44.5 :(
sweet, a man who knows what he wants :) I commend you, well done!

blake

Just a question (You dont have to answer it though), I'm still not sure about the scaling and I dont think that larzseeker is right, but it does give a good indicator....what marks did you get for your exams and what subjects?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
the lazseeker is correct for the 2001 HSC
enter anyone's HSC marks from 2001 and it'll usually come up +or-1 UAI point from their real UAI
it does give a good indicator for us, but remember ur marks that u enter are based on the scaling from 2001

Anton

HSC
Christ, I don't have an ego.
Well, I do, but not about school. I'm just going on odds here. 140/160 got 90+ last year, so odds are I will. If I don't, I don't care, if I do, woo.

Anton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)