What do employers think of UWS? (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
UNE- I remember being told at the careers market their UAI is 83ish for law and you can get in on principals/teachers reccomendation. I was considering it, but its way too far for me :)

Angel45

HSC
I say we all stop arguing and trying to outdo each other with arguments about matters which keep re-emerging and end up nowhere!!!

We're all uni students, we're all extremely lucky to have the opp. to attend university, which ever that uni is!! The way things are going we're all likely to be working really hard to get into our desired professions --> i don't think uni choice really matters... Heck, half the time ppl. who get the gr8 journalism jobs and the like don't even have a degree - they're an ex miss universe or ex-chippie or just have bloody good contacts.

We all work hard no matter what uni or course we're in, and we've work hard to get here. No one deserves to hear bad comments being slung around about their uni or the assertions about the students that attend them esp. when they're often unfounded or stem from personal insecurities.

And remember ppl. don't just choose their uni based on where they can get in...some courses aren't offered at some unis...some ppl. are closer to certain unis... or some ppl. got a low mark in the HSC for whatevea reason and yet still do well in the course (or got a high mark but suck at the course) who knows...and also... its so hard to make generic statments like this uni is good and this uni is bad.... every course at one uni can not be the best and similarly, all courses at one uni cannot suck.

HSC
natstar said:
OMG, I leave this site for a day and come back and find that a bunch of idiots (yes idiots) have hijacked these forums yet again.
I find it highly ammusing that all these other students for other universities can't comment on anything other than to put it down, that just goes to show how stupid, dumb and pathetic you really are. You dont know ANYTHING about UWS, so get the fuck out of this forum. Unless YOU ARE an employer, your comments have no relevence.

If you think you go to such a highly prestigious and oh so classy university where you kiss your lectures arses in return for good marks and they kiss yours in return, then you can at least show SOME class, and intelligence due to your oh so awesome marks that got you into your oh so prestigious and cool universities that are like totally the best, and shut the fuck up and say something that actually is logical, mature and actually makes sense and shows that you actually passed English.

If I thought my chances of getting a job, and a good job for that matter, were in any doubt, why the fuck would I bother paying to go to a uni that wouldent get me a good job? I wouldent have move 350km's from home for 3 years and payed 16k up front to do something that would waste my time. I could have stayed at home and gone to TAFE.
I have every faith in myself that I can get a job, I have the marks, and I have the ability in myself.

So in the light of this thread, don't let any other universities students opinions foo you. They wouldent know a thing about UWS if it came a bit them on the arse. At least we as UWS students have some experience and are actually students at the uni.

EDIT- I almost pissed my panties laughing at the stupid post about the teaching standard at UWS being low. UWS is a 15 year old uni. Most of the teaching staff are between the ages of 30-60. Its very hypocritical of you saying that the teaching quality is low where in the end the majority (+of) teaching staff have graduated or have obtained qualifications from your oh so prestigious universities.
What were you saying about passing English again?

HSC
natstar said:
I passed english. I really couldent give a fuck how i spell on this forum.
I see, it just seemed amusing that your rant looks like you typed it with your forehead, when you're telling people to act like they passed English.

On to my next question, could you please clarify what

"If you think you go to such a highly prestigious and oh so classy university where you kiss your lectures arses in return for good marks and they kiss yours in return, then you can at least show SOME class, and intelligence due to your oh so awesome marks that got you into your oh so prestigious and cool universities that are like totally the best, and shut the fuck up and say something that actually is logical, mature and actually makes sense and shows that you actually passed English."

actually means?

I'm reading it as:

"If you think your uni is better than mine, and I don't because you just kiss arse to get marks, then show some class and intelligence, because you got good marks and got into a good uni (Again, not that I agree). Shut up and say something logical."

Either that's a load of rambling shit or you're obviously much better at English than I. If it's the former, maybe you could do with a few deep breaths, and if it's the latter, could you please fill me in, because it makes absolutely fuck all sense to me.

kow_dude

HSC
There should be a poll "Would you employ a graduate from UWS".

sarevok

HSC
Posting in monthly UWS bashing thread before it gets locked

HSC
Right. I'm sort of curious as to how you can respond to people putting UWS down by putting their unis down. Sure it's a very tidy form of retaliation in an eye for an eye sort of way, but it's not really going to get results?

If people like their Uni, that's fantastic, I'm jealous, but responding like that is just going to make it all keep going round and around. If you're convinced that your Uni is great, that's tops, you should definitely point it out whenever you get a chance, but maybe not in a way which is easily interpreted as an attack on other Unis.

(I know it looks like I'm shit stirring, but I'm not, at least not really, I just genuinely don't see how any of this is productive, for the others or yourself).

HSC
natstar said:
You jump at me for making the slightest comment regarding USYD but do you fail to realise what we have had to put up from elitist idiots who know shit all
I think you've misinterpreted what I've said. I'm not moved one way or another by what you, or anyone else, says about any Uni. I just mean that I think it's silly of you to attack their Unis in an attempt to stop them from talking shit about yours. If that's the way you want to play it then that's cool with me too, though you really should stop being surprised when people respond to your cries of "elitist" with "pleb".

baby_pea

HSC
Can someone tell me the pro's of UWS. I've put down a course as a preference, but reluctant to go there. Nice atmosphere, I don't really care for btw, because everyone says it.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
baby_pea said:
Can someone tell me the pro's of UWS. I've put down a course as a preference, but reluctant to go there. Nice atmosphere, I don't really care for btw, because everyone says it.
My advice to you is to form ur own opinion of the uni's, it goes for courses and subjects as well, what you may not like someone may like :)Its like people who chose their Yr 12 subjects based on what other students told them was interesting or what their friends did, the only way you will enjoy ur uni life is if you pick something that appeals to you

If you like it, don't worry about others say and find the uni that best suits your needs, do some research and do it with an open mind, so that you find the uni that is best for you :cool:

Last edited:

kow_dude

HSC
Taken from "The Good Universities Guide" 2005 edition:

How UWS rates and compares:

STATUS AND STANDING
Presitige: *
Student demand: *
Research grants: **
Research intensivity: **

THE EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE:
Graduate rating: *
Staff qualifications: **

GRADUATE OUTCOMES:
Getting a Job: *
Positive graduate outcomes: *
Graduate starting salary: ****

WHO'S THERE
Indigenous participation: *
International enrolments: ****
Cultural diversity: *****
Gender balance: **

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
baby_pea said:
It depends what course.
The following courses i've only heard bad of;
- Communications
- Arts
- Engineering

Personally I find law to be ok, and I'm impressed by some of our lecturers, but as with all uws courses sometimes you get put in a shithouse room.

Generally speaking, the pro's are;
- Low UAI
- Closer to Western Sydney (if you live in the west)

The cons are;
- Low Reputation
- Low Funding
- Bad parking (I think this applies to all uni's tho).

baby_pea

HSC
melsc said:
My advice to you is to form ur own opinion of the uni's, it goes for courses and subjects as well, what you may not like someone may like :)Its like people who chose their Yr 12 subjects based on what other students told them was interesting or what their friends did, the only way you will enjoy ur uni life is if you pick something that appeals to you

If you like it, don't worry about others say and find the uni that best suits your needs, do some research and do it with an open mind, so that you find the uni that is best for you :cool:
I can't form opinions without any substance however. I didn't go to UWS open day b/c it was in woop woop land. Anyone have statistics for employment for Business?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Employment from UWS will generally be lower than other uni's, that said however, I'm sure if you're top 5% of your course there will be little trouble.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
baby_pea said:
I can't form opinions without any substance however. I didn't go to UWS open day b/c it was in woop woop land. Anyone have statistics for employment for Business?
Parramatta is woop woop land??? Where do you live? It took me less than 15 mins to get there and we had to turn around coz we werent sure what side it was on, but if u think parra is woop woop then Inner West prob is too :rolleyes:

http://www.uws.edu.au/studyoptions/australian/undergraduate/courselist#3 - Thats the business courses, I dont know where u'd fine stats for employment though maybe good uni guide??? :)

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
STATUS AND STANDING
Presitige: *
Student demand: *
Research grants: **
Research intensivity: **

THE EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE:
Graduate rating: *
Staff qualifications: **

GRADUATE OUTCOMES:
Getting a Job: *
Positive graduate outcomes: *
Graduate starting salary: ****

WHO'S THERE
Indigenous participation: *
International enrolments: ****
Cultural diversity: *****
Gender balance: **
No, I'm sure that's what the stats say. You can take what they say with a grain of salt, or believe them... my belief is they're somewhat accurate tho.

HSC
Parramatta is like totally woop woop. Theres like no reason to go anywhere else other than the north shore and eastern suburbs when you go to uni and work there. But then again, I did get a UAI which would get me into USYD so i didnt have to settle for UWS. *beams*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)