What do you guys think? (1 Viewer)

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
Alfa's aren't great as first cars, no expensive to maintain, and as said before they aren't that reliable.

buy Japanese, they last much longer and will not cost you an arm and a leg in insurance and repairs.

oh and about Toyota MR2's - I don't think they have a boot, so super impractical.

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Alfa's aren't great as first cars, no expensive to maintain, and as said before they aren't that reliable.

buy Japanese, they last much longer and will not cost you an arm and a leg in insurance and repairs.

oh and about Toyota MR2's - I don't think they have a boot, so super impractical.
any of the japanese 'sports' cars will fare just the same as the alfa really
op should just wait it out with his current car til he can afford a *proper* convertible

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
any of the japanese 'sports' cars will fare just the same as the alfa really
op should just wait it out with his current car til he can afford a *proper* convertible
There's nothing wrong with MR2s and other affordable import Japanese sports cars. At least they will be a bit more reliable in terms of core components and daily usage.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
what is the point of a convertible anyway
they are all girls cars
name a manly convertible
and i can counter by pointing out its lack of a roof

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
boxsters are shit
maybe i just had high expectations of a porsche which a 911 will fulfil and the boxster wont because its not meant to
but just no

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
boxsters are shit
maybe i just had high expectations of a porsche which a 911 will fulfil and the boxster wont because its not meant to
but just no
Are you basing this on what you've read and heard or have you driven both back to back?

I wouldn't mind one if I was in the market for a light 2 door convertible/soft top. There isn't anything wrong with them. The problem in the market lies with the much cheaper convertibles which have no real guts and sell purely on the fact that they offer wind in your hair motoring without any real performance. Other than the MX5, I can't think of any other convertibles in the sub $60k bracket which were designed from the start to be a convertible as opposed to a roofless version of an econobox.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
I'd heaps prefer a hardtop but the MX5 is the only car that is everything I want in a car i.e. 4 cylinders for economy, rear wheel drive for max doughies, non-turbo, not ancient and fucked, <$10'000 used.

Unfortunately it has a folding roof.

It'd probably be gr8 to drive, but I'd feel heaps embarrassed and emasculated, I'd better just get a hilux instead.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
New mx5s come in hardtop dont they?how hard would it be to engineer a hardtop for a 1st gen mx5? they ones they use in the shit races on speedweek are sometimes 1st gen hardtops, get one of them

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Yeah there's an aftermarket hardtop that fits early MX5s. Official mazda accessory, they sold loads of them because no one likes convertibles, very common on used examples, like so

But it's no use. The damage has been done.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
get a cheap one and get a roll cage etc engineered into it for increased structural rigidity. riet can engineer that shit and i know how to weld

walkahz

HSC
Just by design convertbles are shit. They are similar to scoters in that they have very little rigidity in the chassis.Personally I think pretty much all convertables are gay as fuck and I dont see the point of not having a roof (unless you have a mad semi track car like a caterham etc.)But hey if op wants to ignore our advice of alfa's fail in general then let him.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Not necessarily. Ones that were designed from the beginning to be roadsters e.g. S2000 and MX5, and the like are not at all lacking in rigidity. Plenty of sports car racing series use open top cars, and so does F1. Not having a roof isnt a fundamental problem. Taking a coupe and then essentially chopping the top off and replacing it with cloth, as in those stupid french cars, is.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Not necessarily. Ones that were designed from the beginning to be roadsters e.g. S2000 and MX5, and the like are not at all lacking in rigidity. Plenty of sports car racing series use open top cars, and so does F1. Not having a roof isnt a fundamental problem. Taking a coupe and then essentially chopping the top off and replacing it with cloth, as in those stupid french cars, is.
Agreed. As long as the car's inherent design had adequate chassis strengthening for the roofless model, then it should be fine. What I find interesting are cars like the Benz SL Black which were originally convertibles but in the quest to become more track/performance-focused (aka hardcore), they removed the convertible/folding roof.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
what is the point of a convertible anyway
they are all girls cars
name a manly convertible
and i can counter by pointing out its lack of a roof
your a retard, convertibles are cool and fun unlike hiluxs and crappy fords/holdens that are prehistoric

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)