What do you hate about law students? (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Forbidden. said:
The law faculty have either the most modern facilities if not traditional with class and even the most easily accessible convenience such as microwaves and even their own library.
Engineering students have to linger around in factory style labs and it's understandable we have fairly big HECS debts because of all the equipment and machinery but law students?
Or is that why law students have the biggest HECS debts around because of all the prestige?
i can't find the newspaper article i was reading the other day, but from memory, the figures report that law students pay 87% of their tuition cost (the rest footed by the government). on the other hand, science and engineering students pay about 28% of their tuition cost. funding is diverted from law students to pay for engineering/science. (i don't have the reference on me at hand, but i think it was in the Australian.)

it's unequitable but that's the way the system works. the government can afford to screw law students over because:

(1) apparently it costs nothing but 'talk and chalk' to teach law,
(2) we have higher graduate salaries comparatively (although on par with engineering i would say),
(3) because it is seen as a 'prestigious' program, and therefore should be given less government funding than national priorities like nursing and education.

at the same time, class sizes are UNSW law school have increased from 35 to 44 students, having moved to the new building. the dean of the law school has stated that we cannot bring down class sizes because we lack funding.

i don't think people should complain that law students are well off. we're not. just because we have our own libraries, moot courts and computer labs, doesn't mean we're a rich faculty compared to, say, the business faculty. libraries, courts and computer labs are to us what chem labs and engineering equipment are to science/engineering students.

until we all become partners at top tier law firms, we should not be seen as a privileged, elitist bunch. we are under the same pressures as other uni students.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
How is mooting? Where do they hold them? Is it possible to see one at UNSW ?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
We don't necessarily work at petrol stations - personally, I'm a clerk at a small law firm. I was referring to the fact your post was exceedingly bitter, and that you probably have an inferiority complex.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
i can't find the newspaper article i was reading the other day, but from memory, the figures report that law students pay 87% of their tuition cost (the rest footed by the government). on the other hand, science and engineering students pay about 28% of their tuition cost. funding is diverted from law students to pay for engineering/science. (i don't have the reference on me at hand, but i think it was in the Australian.)

it's unequitable but that's the way the system works. the government can afford to screw law students over because:

(1) apparently it costs nothing but 'talk and chalk' to teach law,
(2) we have higher graduate salaries comparatively (although on par with engineering i would say),
(3) because it is seen as a 'prestigious' program, and therefore should be given less government funding than national priorities like nursing and education.

at the same time, class sizes are UNSW law school have increased from 35 to 44 students, having moved to the new building. the dean of the law school has stated that we cannot bring down class sizes because we lack funding.

i don't think people should complain that law students are well off. we're not. just because we have our own libraries, moot courts and computer labs, doesn't mean we're a rich faculty compared to, say, the business faculty. libraries, courts and computer labs are to us what chem labs and engineering equipment are to science/engineering students.

until we all become partners at top tier law firms, we should not be seen as a privileged, elitist bunch. we are under the same pressures as other uni students.
well i guess your degree hasnt got a lot of practical like engineering or science, it is mainly reading and remembering facts (which is a very hard task also). Maybe Engineering tuition fees cost more then laws, thats why they cant pay for the whole cost.
Also with the funding wouldnt the engineering shortage be the key reason for more funding? I dont think law is at a skill shortage is it?

I know IT is at a shortage, but im not sure if we get any extra funding.

Last edited:

doink

Clone
HSC
Law students don't have the biggest HECS around, Med fees are crazy and it doesn't even cover 25% of the course.

Engineers can easily make just as much as lawyers (mining) except there is no huge competitive desire by employees and this seems to translate to the students. Lots of fun and games when you know you are all going to be employed by anyone you want (except for aero).

Oh and i don't think that people publicly assault engineers outside courthouses and they also don't stay up to 1am doing case readings or any readings or work or anything.

I originally wanted to do law but after considering the time sink and lack of motivation i had to become a back stabbing mark-lusted maniac having to deal with class fulls of similar people (not sure if this is true, but from noticing the law students in my acct tute it seems to be) i decided to take the easier and now definitely more fun route.

edit: /rant /derailing thread

xassius

HSC
you obviously dont know how challenging engineering is! ....instead of staying up till 1am doing merely case readings.....engineering students have to stay up till 1am doing math :p

Skeeter

Banned
HSC
Suvat said:
The sheer artificiality of the environment, but then again, it also applies to business school.

Not that I expect it to be any different once I start working...
/

Last edited:

doink

Clone
HSC
xassius said:
you obviously dont know how challenging engineering is! ....instead of staying up till 1am doing merely case readings.....engineering students have to stay up till 1am doing math :p
I do engineering :) I don't stay up till 1am doing math.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
xassius said:
"Let's see, I had 5 shots before 9, and in the hour since then have drank 6 beers and a cocktail, which equates to x standard drinks..."

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
hfis said:
"Let's see, I had 5 shots before 9, and in the hour since then have drank 6 beers and a cocktail, which equates to x standard drinks..."
Sounds like med students.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
xassius said:
Try a 24hr, 100% weighed takehome. 12 pages, 4000+ words

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
I am likely to be a blood sucking lawyer!
dear, we don't just suck blood...

...we also eat their souls. :p

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Skeeter said:
Hey mate, I've got a cousin doing the exact same course as you and at the exact same Uni. You wouldn't know a guy called Hussein Elachkar would you?
Nope, don't know him. Probably because I'm in my final year (thank God, it'll soon be over).

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
velox said:
You picked a very lifestyle friendly degree. Kinda the opposite of law;)
I'm surprised you knew that coz most people usually say "I dunno how I can stand looking into mouths all day". :)

I guess I'm too lazy to be part of the corporate and business world and succeed like you guys. :eek:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
~shinigami~ said:
I'm surprised you knew that coz most people usually say "I dunno how I can stand looking into mouths all day". :)

I guess I'm too lazy to be part of the corporate and business world and succeed like you guys. :eek:
I have lawyer family and dentist family. Dentists win!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)