What do you hate about USyd (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
you're only going to get yourself into trouble if you go looking for it, just like anywhere else. it's not as if roaming gangs of undesirables with knives come out of the bushes when the sun goes down and line the streets waiting for you

aussie-boy

HSC
i was at uni a few days ago and have a subway update: there are some tradies in there doing the internal fitout. hopefully it'll be open by the start of semester.
The Italian cafe on the other side of the courtyard is way better than subway

rx34

HSC
you're only going to get yourself into trouble if you go looking for it, just like anywhere else. it's not as if roaming gangs of undesirables with knives come out of the bushes when the sun goes down and line the streets waiting for you
Haha I never look for trouble, honestly :) I'll be carrying my laptop and iphone, just don't want to get robbed.

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
Carslaw toilets are disgusting.

The bumpy path outside buildings on Eastern Avenue is kinda annoying.

The constant development.

People constantly trying to hand shit to me.

Uncomfortable seats in the Footbridge and Chemistry lecture theatres.

Bosch.

KnifeySpoony

HSC
Enrolment day. I don't understand why we have to go there in person just to fill in a few damn forms, when most of the info can just be sent online(ala UNSW)

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Enrolment day. I don't understand why we have to go there in person just to fill in a few damn forms, when most of the info can just be sent online(ala UNSW)
Because this isn't UNSW you fucking pleb.

KnifeySpoony

HSC
Because this isn't UNSW you fucking pleb.
no fucking shit sherlock.
My point was that enrolment day was pretty much a waste of time(long and boring), and that the university should adapt to the changing world and technology like other universities have(like online enrolling)

bio_nut

HSC
My point was that enrolment day was pretty much a waste of time(long and boring), and that the university should adapt to the changing world and technology like other universities have(like online enrolling)
It should because you said so, hey?

If you get there early it's very quick and easy, including getting your student id.

Many other unis enrol in person, stop whining, it's not just usyd.

amber44

HSC
It seems like a logical move, but most students have no idea what units to pick, how the hell are they to go about doing that online, since most need faculty assistence?

bio_nut

HSC
Yep, see all the questions by clueless students on here, lol.

amber44

HSC
Yep, see all the questions by clueless students on here, lol.
LOL so just imagine them sitting at home, alone in front of their computer with major 'life decisions' having to be made... I imagine tears!

rx34

HSC
I know I promised to love USyd forever if I got it, and now that I did, I'm going to break this promise.

I hate how the SIO takes fucking forever to reply to an email. ZOMG! Other universities like Melbourne University are like wayyy faster.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
It was a beautiful morning, I walk into Sydney Uni ready to enrol, I am lost,I walk helplessly in the quad, I struggle to read one of the signs.

To read it, I had to step on the grass, I look at the grass and am in awe at its beauty, perfect symmetry and colour, I knew already that this grass was special. Am I allowed to step on it? I ask myself, with a sense of guilt I did, admiring how soft the grass was under my feat. The sign guides me to where I needed to be. I go home happy that Sydney Uni has such beautiful grass. A week later I return and to my horror the grass is closed of by rope.

What I hate about Sydney Uni,I hate that us students don't have access to this magnificent grass.

DAMN!

rx34

HSC
What I hate about Sydney Uni,I hate that us students don't have access to this magnificent grass.

DAMN!
That's a bummer. At least we get to 'see' grass, UTS students don't even have a chance to.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
the grass is usually unfenced, they just fence it every once in a while to give it a rest from being trampled on.

jassono

HSC
I hate it that USYD didnt offer me law, and forced me to go to unsw :p

rx34

HSC
The worst part of the learning experience at USYD is the fact that if you are not careful, you could find yourself working with international students unit after unit.
There are international students in every university, more so in popular universities like USYD and UNSW. So this doesn't quite belong in 'what i hate about usyd'. Honestly, I'm not sure why international students get so much crap. I'm not an international student myself nor am I asian, but I have worked with many Aussies (white and ABC) for my commerce group assignments.

Even though there are no communication issues with locals, I have encountered more bludgers with locals than internationals. For example in my IS oral presentation, we had to choose teammates in this first tutorial. I went for an all local team (2 Aussie guys and one ABC girl). Only one of them bothered turning up for the group meetings I organised. It was very disappointing and I complained to my tutor and wrote negatively about them (being bludgers) in the peer assessment sheet.

In my macro and micro essay assignment, I had a mixture of international and domestic students. Even though the grammar of the international students was really bad, the content they gave was really good. They answered their questions well and were interested in getting distinctions. I was impressed and moderately happy to be the 'grammar' and 'sentence structure' checker. We got the 2nd highest mark for the macro assignment in the entire course.

It's hard if you have to pick your groupmates in the first week of your tute. That being said, there are bad eggs in both internationals and locals. But after my first year of uni, I have learnt how to choose my group mates. I don't pick my group mates on the colour of their skin, or the way they talk, rather by observing the tutorial over a couple of weeks. I see who attends class, who always has second questions for the tutor and most importantly, who does the tute work. It's not so much as getting along well with internationals and whether you can have a good time along with them, it's doing the assignment WELL.

Unfortunately, there is only one way to reduce the risk:minimise the number of units of study that are known to have moderate or higher levels of international students (over 10 % of cohort) and require working in groups;
Lol, what about all the white kids who want to be accountants or for that matter, do commerce? Should they avoid commerce/engineering/medicine/pharmacy/law so they won't be grouped up with internationals?

Again, it's most likely the determination of the student who will get him/her HDs, not so much the international groupmates. There are peer assessment sheets to mark down bludgers and these assignments could be redeemable

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)