What do your teachers think of us??? (1 Viewer)

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
tactic said:
Do they like the site?
or hate it because we are letting people get trials papers?
As a former teacher, I was active, out there telling my students about this palce. Most seemed to know about it, BUT others frantically wrote down the web address.

I am all for a forum where HSC students can share their thoughts, resources and such. This is the world we live in and why not use the resource. If it means that students get trials, then good on them. Teachers need to be more creative with their questions. ;)

And, hence why I am here. Lending my knowledge and teaching skills to those who need it (for free!!!).

verdades

HSC
Most of them haven't really said anything about it.
Sadly though, one English teacher who I really don't like took our class for one lesson in the library, and she told us to come here.

kara42

HSC
Yeah, my teachers seem to love this place too.

And we got that wikipedia warning too. My physics teacher won't accept anything from that site :p
Our librarian goes on and on and on about how "Wikipedia is NOT an online encyclopedia."

And yeah, most of my teachers think this site's great.
I actually first came here after a teacher recommended it.

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
my teachers dont like me using it ... particularly my music teacher. he thinks the resources here are VERY unreliable and that there is no good sources on here. he's full of bull tho.

Chazzz91

HSC
Okay, so at the beginning of the year, my teacher told our class that this site was like going to a drug dealer- you become addicted, and keep going back for more and more, and getting something out of it, and they never run out of stuff.

But i dont get it...we aren't paying any money at all for the "drugs" of knowledge.

That's just one teacher though. The others don't seem to mind it.

tku336

HSC
our teachers just dont mention it. but im sure they know about it.

0hNivlek

HSC
I think all ym teachers don't mind. One even told us to use it for the resources and revision.

Andrei01

HSC
Our librarian goes on and on and on about how "Wikipedia is NOT an online encyclopedia."

A kid in my school quoted wikipedia in his speech. that was hilarious.

lychnobity

HSC
Most approve of this site actually, except for the really old traditional ones. One of my teachers even gave us notes from here.

shady145

Banned
HSC
my english teacher referred me to this website, thats how i first knew about it... i then told my 3 maths teacher, and my chemistry teacher and business studies teacher... they love it

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A

Metaphorically, I view Wikipedia as a city. You can either visit the city on a short vacation to find out information (aka Wikipedia), or you can ask a few intelligent residents who have lived there and what their thoughts of that city were. Mostly those residents will give an accurate impression of the city. These intelligent residents represent the contributers to book encyclopedias, like Britannica.

However, Wikipedia is a bit different. Essentially it allows all members of the community to communicate ideas, as long as they are bothered enough to do so. A lot of cases where people write Wikipedia pages is because they have a passion. The majority of articles written on subjects like mollusks, or tulips, or Broadway musicals are written by people with an interest in these specific areas - yet this also risks that such information may not be valid, or factually supported.

Sometimes Wikipedia experiences vandalism (akin to graffiti and crime of the city) and attempts are made to clean up errors, omissions and maintain validity of the articles through moderators (akin to local governments and government officials).

Personally, I'd rather read an article for a generalised idea on a specific issue or topic (such as Les Miserables, a novel written by Victor Hugo) through Wikipedia, than read a half-hearted article about the novel from by an employee hired for an encyclopedia company who had to write all the articles on literature of the 19th century and who might not even have a specific interest in the novel itself.

Though, it should still be noted that actually researching your own information first-hand (akin to living in the city yourself) is a better alternative than either Wikipedia or a static encyclopedia.

Last edited:

rolandgill98

HSC
N/A
There is a mixed feelings among the teachers, some likes and some hates.

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL funny story. One of my English teachers was marking a creative writing response, came across one and thought it looked familiar. Turns out several people had memorised and written the exact same story from BOS.

jswlms

HSC
Some like the site, some do not, but most of my teachers don't know about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)