What factors led you to study at past/current university? (1 Viewer)

Blahq

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

I'm quite interested as to why people chose a university over others? Is it because the location is convenient for you? Do they offer a particular topic to major that others don't? Did you choose to go to a particular uni because your friends are there? Or did the prestige factor come into your decision? Whatever factored into your decision-making, I and I'm sure many others are curious as to why you attend a particular university!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi guys,

I'm quite interested as to why people chose a university over others? Is it because the location is convenient for you? Do they offer a particular topic to major that others don't? Did you choose to go to a particular uni because your friends are there? Or did the prestige factor come into your decision? Whatever factored into your decision-making, I and I'm sure many others are curious as to why you attend a particular university!
Had the course I wanted, and a better course structure than offered elsewhere. No one else from my school went here - prestige, partially as well.

Friendly vibe too.

HSC
Uni Grad
It had the major I wanted, plus I didn't make it into Macquarie Uni for Actuarial. Also, more flexibility for my university's degree in choosing majors.

For me, the location didn't really matter, as long as it's quite easy to get to, as well as the fact that it's a good location.

I don't really choose a university by prestige because chances are that it's really overrated.

Made friends there as well, especially those doing actuarial, so now I'm receiving a lot of help and advice from them.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Only place that had the course I wanted, plus, it was conveniently located.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
The course was quite appealing as the majors/study steams were good and also the course offered a one year compulsory exchange program. However, I must say, I did make a poor decision as I did not research too deeply into the course and I pretty much dislike it now.

But yeah also prestige did play some factor, and also the social life is damn good at UNSW.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Had the combination of majors I wanted.
My whole family has gone to USYD (I'm 4th generation).
Good vibes.

plasticities

HSC
I was pretty much choosing between UNSW and USyd. UNSW had the course I wanted with great structure (they already had the honours year added on already), they offered me 5 bonus points for just doing well in my subjects (which I don't think USyd offered and so lowered the atar I needed), seemed very researched based and had a great atmosphere (when I went a talk on advanced science at USyd the guy didn't even really mention the course structure etc he just talked up the prestige of the uni).

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
i chose usyd because of travel distance. was going to choose macq over usyd but it took twice as long to get to macq.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I knew more people that were going to my uni, uni is known for my degree and my dad used to be a lecturer here.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Had the course I wanted (almost) in a 4 year time span instead of 5/5.5

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Hi guys,

pretty much just location. UNSW is 2km away and USYD is a good 10km away. and lots of my friends chose UNSW which was a plus but not a deciding factor.

Peeik

HSC
Siblings went to usyd so i guess that played a part. Also travelling time was also a deciding factor (only takes me 8 mins to get to redfern)

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
When i went to USYD the atmosphere was so clustered, it mad eme feel very pressured and the way the helpers directed me to places by placing their fingers over one direction and then yapping of didn't help either. Though their steak sandwhich was delicious ;)

It was between Macq and UNSW and both takes over an hour to get to, at the end i chose Macq because of the more relaxed atmosphere, friendly people and transportation cost is relatively cheaper- if i went to UNSW i would have to buy bus tickets =)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
UNSW - because I like the atmosphere better than USyd.
Cambridge - because I get to go overseas on a full schoalrship.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)