What is a band 6? (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Ok, I am confused. Do you get a band 6 for:

- getting over 90% in the final HSC exam in raw marks.

- getting a mark in the final HSC exam that only the top 10% in the state scored.

- getting a mark that the board of studies suggests is suitable for a band 6, by scaling subjects against each other.

Another question. If it says you got, say, 78 in your exam and the board of studies says this is a band 4, does this mean that in your test paper you got 78% of the questions right/marks or does this mean that the board of studies thought it would be suitable to give, say, 60% of marks as a 78 (and a band 4) in MEX2?

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
The third one is most correct, "getting a mark that the board of studies suggests is suitable for a band 6, by scaling subjects against each other.", it's determined by scaling and is done by BOS and I don't believe the whole procedure of how scaling works is released to the public.

The second question: it all depends, if you get 78 in your exam (HSC mark, ie scaled and aligned) it would mean a band 4, however if you got 78% raw mark this is drastically different and you would most likely see a higher mark than the raw mark. Umm IIRC, for MX2 a 60% would equivalate to around an 83.

Check out the Raw Mark database located somewhere on this site, it shows what raw marks made what hsc mark for people on this site.

Hope this helps!

madharris

HSC
N/A
A band is is when you get a 90+ aligned mark
e.g. In chemistry, if you get a 74%ish raw mark which aligns to a 90ish, then this is your band 6
Scaling only happens after the marks come out, it contributes to your aggregate and thus your atar

The second question: it all depends, if you get 78 in your exam (HSC mark, ie scaled and aligned) it would mean a band 4, however if you got 78% raw mark this is drastically different and you would most likely see a higher mark than the raw mark. Umm IIRC, for MX2 a 60% would equivalate to around an 83.

Check out the Raw Mark database located somewhere on this site, it shows what raw marks made what hsc mark for people on this site.

Hope this helps!
And yeah this sounds about right ^^

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Oh good. We just had our half-yearlies and for Chemistry I got a 96%. The test was on past HSC papers purely and my teacher told us that 1 week before the test.
I also somehow scored a 99% for ext1, and a 97% for ext2 (Conics and Polynomials exam), and only 93% for the 2-unit exam that I didn't study for (lmao).

I think I should be looking for a band 6 most in these 6 units. This is what I think of the difficulty of my 12 units from top (easiest) to bottom (hardest) :

- MEX1
- Chemistry
- Eng Adv.
- Physics
- MEX2
- Economics

Does anyone else opinion-ate their subjects like this?

HSC
Oh good. We just had our half-yearlies and for Chemistry I got a 96%. The test was on past HSC papers purely and my teacher told us that 1 week before the test.
I also somehow scored a 99% for ext1, and a 97% for ext2 (Conics and Polynomials exam), and only 93% for the 2-unit exam that I didn't study for (lmao).

I think I should be looking for a band 6 most in these 6 units. This is what I think of the difficulty of my 12 units from top (easiest) to bottom (hardest) :

- MEX1
- Chemistry
- Eng Adv.
- Physics
- MEX2
- Economics

Does anyone else opinion-ate their subjects like this?
Y r zu doin' 2unet if zu do 4unet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)