What is investment banking? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
This thread also highlights one of the glaring omissions in university statistics- the employment rate. Many unis, mine included, boasted of what % of people graduated with a full time job. Sounds great in the orientation week speech/presentations but when you think about it, most people do uni with the intention of getting a good job. Failing that, any job would be better than no job. So it isn't really such a surprise to see high % employability rates but without actually saying how many got the job they wanted. Yes there are supply vs. demand issues, and there's always a bazillion people wanting IB/trading/front office jobs relative to the few positions actually available, but it's just something to keep in mind when managing your own individual expectations.

bismarck

HSC
Hey seremify - great thread. Would appreciate your views on my situation. I've graduated with a Bachelor of Economic and Social Sciences from USyd. I majored in Government, and had ok marks, nothing special. This was largely because I spent the balance of my time at university developing my career. I now work in a Ministerial office as a policy adviser. I definitely feel that my interest in Government work is waning, and have been accepted into an M Comm (finance) at UNSW which I'll begin in a few weeks.

I'm relatively sure that I have an interest in investment banking, and would be interested in your views on my best approach to break into the industry. Without a commerce undergrad, am I wasting my time going through the regular recruitment process? I feel like I have a lot of the soft skills that would make me suitable for an IB position, and my current job has definitely taught me the work ethic, but that I'd be lacking the hard skills and experience to get me through the standard recruitment process.

Appreciate your advice.

enak101

HSC
What do IB's actually do?

I understand they work in finance, and I hear the word analysis used a lot with it. Is it like the stock market etc? Just a bit confused hah.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I feel better knowing I'm the accountant they mentioned- sure it's hard work but at least it's not what I do day in day out everyday of the year.

is a roflcopter
HSC
Ozko you know who has it the best

Korean bankers - they are worshipped in korea (even if they are fat or nerdy looking). all of my korea team are dating actresses/celebrities fml.

you want a shot at that girl you have in your profile pic, be a banker.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll tell you what's best. When you have almost 10 houses in Melb/Syd, a few apartments in HK, and maybe one in NYC soon, collecting rent with a view to building either a mini hotel in the former or acquiring a block of tong laus in HK and redeveloping it. You can sleep with almost anyone you want, except Fala Chen and Cathy Tsui.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'll tell you what's best. When you have almost 10 houses in Melb/Syd, a few apartments in HK, and maybe one in NYC soon, collecting rent with a view to building either a mini hotel in the former or acquiring a block of tong laus in HK and redeveloping it. You can sleep with almost anyone you want, except Fala Chen and Cathy Tsui.
baller.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)