What is Medical Science? (1 Viewer)

pyroflamer

HSC
hi, after reading the 2011 atar cut offs, i saw a course UNSW listed as B Medical Science with an atar of 97.8, and above it another course named B Medicine/B Surgery N/A, i was wondering what the difference is between the two courses, seeing that they both include medicine to some degree.

Atar cutoff - http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2011_coffs_main.pdf

and ive also heard people say that your performance in sections 1/2 of UMAT really depends on your personality, and is little influenced by any tutoring you go to, even to the extent of doing worse in the case of some. could anyone elaborate on this?

thanks in advance :)

HSC
Uni Grad
As for UMAT, S1 tests your reasoning skills, S2 tests your emotional intelligence, S3 is like an IQ test.

I think S3 is the only section that can be improved, however, most unis only take half of your S3 score (weighted score).

domoku

HSC
medical science is similar to a b.sci, just that its more focused on medical disciplines of science. that means once you graduate, most graduates will end up with a career in research.

not sure if you're interested in med sci at unsw, but if you are, theres a lateral transfer available into medicine at the 2nd year. so at unsw, the med sci degree serves as a basis for those who are smart enough to be considered for that transfer. i may be wrong, but i think thats the reason behind the high cut off for the program in comparison to other unis.

also, not all med sci students are people trying to get into med. there are those simply interested in what the degree offers and enrol without wanting to get into med (such as myself).

Last edited:

rx34

HSC
Medical science is for:
1) People who can't get in medicine

2) Where med is only available postgrad (USYD, Melb U)

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
As for UMAT, S1 tests your reasoning skills, S2 tests your emotional intelligence, S3 is like an IQ test.

I think S3 is the only section that can be improved, however, most unis only take half of your S3 score (weighted score).
i think by "most" u mean just one (UWS).

Med science is for med rejects that still want to do med.
couldnt have said it better myself.

Tim035

HSC
Holy hell, it's 97.8 now! that's hilarious. It is honestly the exact same as just a bachelor of science, except that you must take a number of courses from the school of medical sciences (physiology, pharmacology, anatomy, pathology etc.) and also major in one of these aforementioned subjects. The reason for the insane ATAR is that the top 15 performing med sci students are offered the oppertunity to transfer into medicine after they pass an interview and provided their UMAT is respectable.

I finished my Honours last year, and have just started a position in supply chain / logistics and medical information for one of the pharmaceutical giants.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

and what is the point of this?
it sounds similar to STAT which you need to take to get into USYD pharmacy

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Medical Science is usually taken as a first step to a post-graduate Medicine course, or it can be used to go into Medical research through a Ph.D. and perhaps seek employment through this, or continue an academic career.

Tim035

HSC
Medical Science is usually taken as a first step to a post-graduate Medicine course, or it can be used to go into Medical research through a Ph.D. and perhaps seek employment through this, or continue an academic career.
Other possibility include:

Medical information associate

Medical affairs / regulatory affairs associate

quality assurance officer

Patent analyst

Pharmacy/GP rep

Other entry level administrative positions at pharmaceutical and medical device companies

I'm currently working at Pfizer in West Ryde in an admin / customer service type position that will be invaluable in heading in the direction I wish to pursue, which is pharmaceutical regulatory affairs.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
MedSc is a darn interesting degree, though! It's a great stepping stone for postgrad med for students who are yet to take the GAMSAT.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
This,

Also it is EXTREMELY hard to get a job.
That's is you graduate with just the bachelor's degree. Although you'll see a lot of students now go onto do their Masters in research or clinical practice, Ph.D., or continue on to doing Medicine. On it's own though, it's not an amazing degree to get a well-paying job with.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
That's is you graduate with just the bachelor's degree. Although you'll see a lot of students now go onto do their Masters in research or clinical practice, Ph.D., or continue on to doing Medicine. On it's own though, it's not an amazing degree to get a well-paying job with.
Most people on this forum considering this degree wouldn't want to pay 2 years not commonwealth supported for masters/4 years for PhD/6 Years MBBS. I'm advising whoever is considering this field that there is alot of people.

Tim035

HSC
This,

Also it is EXTREMELY hard to get a job.
Are you joking? I got 4 job interviews in just under a month, I also met with board members from a number of companies. Maybe if you limit yourself to typing 'medical science graduate' into seek then it'll be 'EXTREMELY HARD'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)