what is so bad about UWS? (1 Viewer)

5233andy

HSC
I don't think the university really matters, but rather, it's what you do with the degree in the long run.

I don't think anyone can measure one's intelligence within such a small period of time, that is, high school. Those who rote learn effectively are pretty much automatically branded an intellectual. However, as someone said earlier on, many people exhibit sheer laziness and have not provided a correct exhibition of their intellect. Thus, would it be correct for one to form preconceptions about an individual, based on which university they attend?

5233andy

HSC
But you cannot compare a well established university, such as UNSW and the like, with something that's relatively new, such as UWS and MQ. It simply is illogical and narrow-minded.

LordPc

HSC
But you cannot compare a well established university, such as UNSW and the like, with something that's relatively new, such as UWS and MQ. It simply is illogical and narrow-minded.
this would be one of the differences

older uni's (unsw, usyd) would have a more developed student life (events, student societies, etc) while youngers uni's might not be able to offer such a wide range.

eg, unsw, usyd have revues, AFAIK, uws does not. it wouldnt be major decider for a lot of students, but for those that want to perform, it would be +1 for unsw/usyd

trickx

HSC
In my opinion, after studying commerce/law for a semester and a half of uni there, I've come to the conclusion that it's shit.

Don't get me wrong, the teaching quality for law is among the best after crashing some lectures in other unis, but the entire hype and feel to the uni life there is so fucking lame - Barely any uni groups, no uni-pride, no uni parties ... pretty shit really. Commerce there is a fucking joke, no one gives a shit with only a handful of students that do actually try, the low UAI requirements speak for themselves really .. teachers are fucking stupid too ..

The uni isnt going to age and get better within the span of your uni life so stfu and be realistic.

I mean, there are people on bos that defend uws from the bad reputation and perception ppl have of the uni. But in all honesty, if you are capable of studying at the major unis like unsw, usyd and uts, then avoid uws at all costs.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
@lordpc: uws has revues, look it up on youtube =P

everyone can rubbish uws or any uni for that matter. however, it comes down to personal preference. different individuals select their uni based on their personal preferences just as a consumer purchases a branded product opposed to the homebrand product for similar reasons. everyone has unique personal preferences.

on a more personal note, i just wanted to attend a uni closer to home which also had a great atmosphere (i.e. nice buildings, demographics, reputation due to the calibre of students doing the degree i wanted etc.). i went to the open days for uow, uws, mq, usyd, unsw and uts. i liked unsw the most, and now im there.

MJ-47

HSC
ok everyone look.... shit threads like this one start up this time every year when HSC starts/finishes due to massive amounts of people deciding their UAC prefferences.

that being said theres probability of at least 50% of people in this thread that fall into this catagory.

sadly i was once like you, (full up on pride for unsw. and full on contempt for uws) i bagged it out so much. but after a semester at UNI. guess what??? no one gives a damn which uni you go to (or which high school you went to for that matter)!!! the only thing that really counts is your attitude towards what your currently doing and the future.

if you get lemons dont bitch. make lemonade.

.Joe.

j.man
HSC
UWS has pretty good rep for it's science and health science courses, especially due to the new buildings and facilities they've gotten recently.

And as for the lower cut-off's- That's because it is trying to attract students from the western suburbs (who generally do have a lower ATAR range than those from the city), but it doesn't indicate how easy a course is.

I hope to go to UWS just because it's the closest uni, really cbf catching the train almost every day when i could just drive 25 mins to UWS

P.S. I'm not bagging out 'westies'

HSC
i think what is hilarious is every bank and firm i spoke to on careers day did not give a shit about what university you went too, only marks

X

xeuyrawp

i think what is hilarious is every bank and firm i spoke to on careers day did not give a shit about what university you went too, only marks
Is it hilarious because you think they were being honest, or because you realised that they were lying? (I suspect the former)

runnable

HSC
I think it is politically incorrect for them to say "oh yea we discriminate based on universities".

Because you cannot honestly tell me you rather take a person with 3.9 GPA from UWS rather than 3.5 from Harvard.

HSC
Is it hilarious because you think they were being honest, or because you realised that they were lying? (I suspect the former)
i'm not sure what to believe to be honest. they just mentioned it. what I do know for sure is that macquarie is well respectedso shouldn't be cast out of the exclusive 3 of UTS/UNSW/USYD

I think it is politically incorrect for them to say "oh yea we discriminate based on universities".

Because you cannot honestly tell me you rather take a person with 3.9 GPA from UWS rather than 3.5 from Harvard.
i dont think the gap between UWS->UNSW is the same as UWS->Harvard so its a pretty retarded analogy. a better one would be 6.5GPA @ UWS or 3.5GPA at UNSW?

X

xeuyrawp

i'm not sure what to believe to be honest. they just mentioned it. what I do know for sure is that macquarie is well respectedso shouldn't be cast out of the exclusive 3 of UTS/UNSW/USYD
When I work in the whole careers market scene, I make it my business not to lie or mislead people. I've noticed that a lot of people do lie and mislead, however, simply in order to conform to the rules of careers markets and to avoid any sort of trouble - whether it's legal trouble or simply getting in an argument with someone.

Macquarie is definitely well respected in some areas; actuarial studies, economics, education, history are all certainly well-regarded inside and outside Australia.

However if I were to be a lawyer, or simply wanted to study law, I would avoid Macquarie like the plague. I would say that even UWS might be better for some areas of law than Macquarie. Likewise if I wanted to do medical science or engineering; there are far better places than Macquarie.

The same sorts of things can be said for any uni, really, although some unis have more positives than others.

Put another spin on it: Graphic design, photography, film, music, etc. I get asked about that area a lot. University is probably the worst place you can go if you want to be a graphic designer, photographer, etc. Go to a private college and get practical experience. Yes, universities do offer these courses, but they all pale in comparison to even the decent design colleges like Raffles, Billy Blue, etc. Even a fantastic place like COFA is becoming far too theoretical, which is fine given it's a university.

bryandawn

HSC
N/A
UAI/ATAR are no good indication of how well a student will perform in uni, the way you study at uni is different from the way you study in high school. In my law classes, among the best performing students are the mature age entrants. You also get some whose UAI was high enough to get a place at one of the city law schools, who chose to come here, and performing not as well as the mature aged students. I got into the Law/Arts degree with no UAI, as I've never been to high school here in Australia. I applied with my Foundation Studies results from SWIC, which is now UWS College in Westmead, and I got no A in my transcript, most of my marks were Bs, with a C in Statistics. So what? I admit I don't perform as well as I wish at my Arts degree (which also shows being able to perform well in one discipline doesn't mean you will perform well in another discipline), but for my Law degree, with the exception of the Letter of Advice assignment for which I got a mere Pass (when lots of students failed that one), none other assessment that I've ever done in my Law degree got anything below a Credit, and Credit is now my minimal requirement for my Law units.
With my GPA (dragged down by my Arts unit), I'll be honest, I won't get a place at USyd or UNSW law schools; but I think I could stand a good chance to get a transfer to a couple of other Group of 8 law schools, such as ANU or Uni of Adelaide. But no, thanks, I won't transfer, don't want to move interstate. I could also possibly get a place at Macquarie, but Melsc, you talked me out of the attempt to transfer to MQ Law.
UWS law is practical, I heard there are something like 4 moot assessments throughout the law degree; I prefer to stay away from writing essays, and do something more hands-on, something I will utilise when I enter the profession.
Our medical students? Well, they have the privilege of having a whole building to themselves.
The thing is, if you do law at UWS, I'd advise you choose Campbelltown if it's not too hard for you to get there. Robert Hayes is there teaching Torts, Advanced Torts and Criminal Law, and he could help you get a clerkship when you are still doing your first year, and Steven Freeland is there teaching International Law. Brian Sully QC is there teaching Advocacy one semester out of a year.

wats

HSC
lol ok...

It's pretty simple.

1.) lowest cutoffs= least talented students (most often)=low employment prospects
2.) poor facilities when compared to unsw, uts, usyd.
3.) aesthetically displeasing buildings
4.) very few social clubs, events, organisations
5.) lecturers for most courses aren't as qualified as the other three uni's mentioned.
6.) lacks prestige due to the quality of students being released into the work force from it.

Of course these are all only comparable observations to other universities in sydney.

Though as someone has said, it does offer people with an option other than tafe if they don't get into their desired course.
+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)