What is the Difference Between Medicine in UNSW and UWS? (1 Viewer)

Siddy123

HSC
Well that has nothing to do with what I said. And don't pull random figures out of your ass, especially when they don't contribute anything to the discussion.
I USED THE WORD MAYBE,STOOGE.
I didnt say according to UWS site... blah blah... i said maybe.
what u studying big boy?

Siddy123

HSC
perhaps.. there is just a general correlation between high ATAR and high UMAT.
I do know a person who received 93.55 and gained entry into MBBS this year at UWS.
yeah i saw you post ages ago in a thread about a girl named Middy or something...
thats who i was vaguely making reference to. :p

qev

HSC
N/A
I USED THE WORD MAYBE,STOOGE.
I didnt say according to UWS site... blah blah... i said maybe.
what u studying big boy?
Nice to see we've descended into personal insults and general retardedness.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
The difference from UWS and UNSW maybe more apparent in the future if UNSW changes its medicine course to MD, which potentially allows it to be recognised in the US and other countries where doctors graduate with MD not MBBS.

http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/MD

That said, completing MBBS doesn't necessarily exclude you from overseas practice since there are many avenues for entry (through different specialties etc).

Last edited:

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
The difference from UWS and UNSW maybe more apparent in the future if UNSW changes its medicine course to MD, which potentially allows it to be recognised in the US and other countries where doctors graduate with MD not MBBS.

http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/MD

That said, completing MBBS doesn't necessarily exclude you from overseas practice since there are many avenues for entry (through different specialties etc).
no. all doctors (including US trained ones) must sit the licensing exams (USMLE steps 1-3) in order to practice in the USA. changing the name doesnt really change anything. all australian doctors who have passed exams and go to practice in the US will have MD after their name.
imo, the change is pretty much as a result of complaints from the UNSW student body who believe that the extra year of ILP (research) they must do is not fully acknowledged. for example, at monash, you have the option to complete an extra year of research, but you will get acknowledgement of that through graduating with MBBS/BMedSci instead of just MBBS (1 degree for 1 year of extra study pretty much). i believe similar schemes are available at most other undergrad med schools.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Yeah this is something from that page
"A candidate for the degree shall:
hold the degrees of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery from the University of New South Wales of at least five years standing"

does this mean they're pretty much taking out the research year if you don't want to do it for MBBS?

deswa1

HSC
For the past few years, the median ATAR that got into UNSW med was 99.60. The 96 thing requires a perfect score in UMAT (raw score) not even 100th percentile.

qev

HSC
N/A
enuf.said.
It's funny that you think you made a valid point but you didn't. We were discussing UWS not Griffith University, and to answer your earlier question I'm studying Comm/Law.

K

khorne

It's funny that you think you made a valid point but you didn't. We were discussing UWS not Griffith University, and to answer your earlier question I'm studying Comm/Law.
no one is saying you can't get into med at uws with 94

the question will just be will you get through med?

imo 94 is pretty low...and doesn't come near the work load of doing med. but thats a question for another day

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
I know plenty of 99.95ers getting crushed in exams by rural kids who got 95. It's a different style of learning (ie doing stuff on wards). There's no correlation between atar and success in medicine in my experience

K

khorne

I know plenty of 99.95ers getting crushed in exams by rural kids who got 95. It's a different style of learning (ie doing stuff on wards). There's no correlation between atar and success in medicine in my experience
I see the opposite. There's very little clinical examination in the early years, and it defs favours students who did well in HSC.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
I wouldnt be too sure of a correlation simply because the independent learning required in uni is totally different to schoolwork.

qev

HSC
N/A
I see the opposite. There's very little clinical examination in the early years, and it defs favours students who did well in HSC.
I don't think that was exactly what Dr Fresh was saying. 'Success in medicine' extends far beyond the years of medical school.

edit: I should clarify that I also think that success in HSC will give you a slight advantage in medical school, especially if you did the science subjects.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)