What is the HSC examination process actually like? (1 Viewer)

zeciro

HSC
Please describe your experience of the process. Was it very strict? Were the invigilators the same ones as the ones you had for trials? How did you feel during your exams? Is it awkward if you have to get up to go to the bathroom?

Demise

HSC
99% the same as the trials IMHO in regards to things required of you.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
99% the same as the trials IMHO in regards to things required of you.
Pretty much, I was accelerated last year and I can tell you that it's is identical except different people supervise you and at the end of the exam, people are allowed to leave once their paper is collected.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I found it a lot more chilled than trials. For my exam, we were all ready about 5 minutes early and the main supervisor just stood out the front talking to people about what they were going to do afterwards (since it was most peoples last exam).

Demise

HSC
I found it a lot more chilled than trials. For my exam, we were all ready about 5 minutes early and the main supervisor just stood out the front talking to people about what they were going to do afterwards (since it was most peoples last exam).
That would be amazing to relax people, hopefully they talk to us a bit lol.

HSC
Just behave and its fine. They're all nice (usually old) people. Toilet breaks usually don't happen in English since everyone is trying to nut out their essays but you can go anytime.

alexobern

HSC
our school brought in the people who will be supervising, so for us it will be exactly the same, it's all good fun

HSC
Oh that's cool. So did you get smashed in trials because they're all so strict?

alexobern

HSC
nah, actually. although one kid got a yelling at in the maths exam. that was fun.

jerseyshore

HSC
some tips:

(1) if you think you need extra booklets, ask at the start of the exam - the supervisors i had took their time and walked at snail pace
(2) before reading time, you will go through the exam paper to check if there are printing mistakes - use this time to glance over the essay questions
(3) if you are running out of time, don't waste it on writing your student number - the supervisors will give you time afterwards (though they will be pissed)
(4) if you have bladder problems take an anti-diuretic. if you get too anxious you might get diarrhoea.
(5) depending on the size of your cohort it can take up to an hour to get out of the hall

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
some tips:

(1) if you think you need extra booklets, ask at the start of the exam - the supervisors i had took their time and walked at snail pace
(2) before reading time, you will go through the exam paper to check if there are printing mistakes - use this time to glance over the essay questions
(3) if you are running out of time, don't waste it on writing your student number - the supervisors will give you time afterwards (though they will be pissed)
(4) if you have bladder problems take an anti-diuretic. if you get too anxious you might get diarrhoea.
(5) depending on the size of your cohort it can take up to an hour to get out of the hall
lolwut. For chem we had ~95 people and it took about 20 minutes-half an hour.

Rawf

HSC
Erm for trials. We have over 300 students doing English and it took like 10 mins or less to get out haha.
oh and do we get our names allocated to tables? (Like alphabetical - that's what they did in school cert)
Or do we sit wherever we want like in trials? Or is it just dependent on what your school wants?
I hate getting dodgy wobbly squeaky tables or uneven chairs.

Demise

HSC
We were out in 10 minutes with a cohort of about 130 students...

misspayne

HSC
You have to sit alphabetically - in English for e.g. it will be alphabetically for Advanced, then alphabetically for Standard, not mixed up all together. At our school the supervisors are pretty helpful and will try to replace your table if it is wobbly etc - but better to ask before the exam starts.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't panic if you see people leaving early also.
Some people right faster, some don't try as hard as others.

In my first exam (so English) a tonne of people finished really quick (and i was like wtf). But after a while it doesn't really phase you.

My examiners were pretty nice. A guys phone rang in my maths exam, but, I think because he admitted it was his straight away when they asked, they were pretty nice about it. They let him stay and finish his exam + didnt seem awful about it or anything. They said something "turn it off and hurry up so you can finish your exam!!! We do have to report it but you need to go do your exam!! :p"

He said after they took an official note or something, but he still got a really good mark, and it was kind of nice to stop focusing for like 30 seconds and get slightly back with reality hahaha :)

My grade was pretty small (>than 100 for english) so i cant really say with regards to moving in and out.

Imo it just sort of felt like another exam, like trails i guess but everybody was more panicked at the start and more relieved at the end!!

Yeah if there is something wrong with your desk or a light or a window or anything, tell them at the start and get it fixed asap. Nothing is more annoying than a flicking light or squeaky desk for 3 hrs :p

misspayne

HSC
The whole process is "strict" in that it is very specifically conducted (as required by the BOS exam rules). But, they explain everything to you and check that you've filled out the information correctly on your booklets (student numbers, question number attempted, no. of booklets used etc) before they sign you out at the end.
You are allowed to go to the bathroom, and it's a pretty normal event during HSC exams so don't worry about it being awkward or anything. You put up your hand to request a bathroom break and they sign you out and then back in - noting the times. But only one student at a time is allowed out, so there can be no discussions of the paper etc.

nifkeh

HSC
Erm for trials. We have over 300 students doing English and it took like 10 mins or less to get out haha. oh and do we get our names allocated to tables? (Like alphabetical - that's what they did in school cert) Or do we sit wherever we want like in trials? Or is it just dependent on what your school wants? I hate getting dodgy wobbly squeaky tables or uneven chairs.
you sit where your student number is on the table, it's kinda in numerical order

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)