What is UNSW like in terms of social life, for Aussie Caucasians? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
Sooo.. "I'm not racist" BUT I have been 'warned' by people that if I go to UNSW, I'll hate it because most students are asians who tend to stick together, so the social aspect will be shit for me..

I'm looking at Arts. What percentage of students would you say are aussie caucasians? Do you think they "enjoy" it at UNSW, in comparison to Usyd?

and this is a pretty bad question to have to ask.. but I know that Ultimo TAFE have some pretty disgusting (female) toilets on the levels where a lot of international students are..

Are the toilets at UNSW (particularly near the Arts faculty, and canteen/cafe areas) clean?

Basically I'd prefer to go to Usyd, which is about an hour away for me; but UNSW is 10 mins away. The convenience is the only tempting factor for me.

absorber

HSC
That could be construed as racism imo. I can't see why you can't just have all your friends being asian, wtf is wrong with that?

Anyhow I'm Caucasian and I'll be going there next year

Last edited:
HSC
I'm looking at Arts. What percentage of students would you say are aussie caucasians? Do you think they "enjoy" it at UNSW, in comparison to Usyd?

and this is a pretty bad question to have to ask.. but I know that Ultimo TAFE have some pretty disgusting (female) toilets on the levels where a lot of international students are..

Are the toilets at UNSW (particularly near the Arts faculty, and canteen/cafe areas) clean?

Basically I'd prefer to go to Usyd, which is about an hour away for me; but UNSW is 10 mins away. The convenience is the only tempting factor for me.
Believe it or not..there are caucasian ppl at UNSW. And Believe it or not; there are alot of asians that don't hang around JUST asians. And yes; I think they do enjoy it at UNSW. %-wise --> idk -> I'm a scientist; so I'm going to say 80% for ARTs.

Toilets are fine whenever I use the morven brown ones.

But i don't understand... what does being caucasion and making a diverse group of and clean toilets got to do with anything choosing which university you'll go to? If your willing to meet new ppl; the social side of things will take care of itself. Dw about it.

About prefering to go to Usyd; thats cool --> its one less closed mind nit at UNSW imho (sorry to be blunt; but thats the question(s) you've asked makes you seem immature... which I'm sure you're really not)

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
Where the heck do you live???
How can USYD take 50 minutes longer to get to than UNSW?

Serious question btw.

I know a few people at UNSW who aren't asian and who love it there. Seriously this is a non-issue.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Lol the 'im not racist but i care what race my friends are'

HSC
and OP

- lots of aussie caucasians in arts faculty @ unsw
- toilets are fine
- irregardless of what uni you go to, there's going to be asians

Last edited:

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
You're looking at arts courses and youre worried about asians? What kind of asian does arts, seriously?

You seem to have linked dirty amenities to international students. One could infer from that you mean that international students are dirty. Well consider this. Maybe in tafe people find it funny to shit all over the floor. Or maybe other people use the international students toilets because theyre more convenient. Or maybe the cleaning staff aren't up to scratch.

Sooo.. "I'm not judgemental" BUT I think you're an idiot.

fyi the toilets at unsw have little diagrams telling people not to squat on the toilet seat, so any 'asians' can be properly informed about how to use an upright toilet, so they're not that bad.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
lol @ this entire thread.

YES you'll fit in, but you wont if you dont make any effort, or act as if you dont want to!

Who cares if asians have slanty eyes, start a conversation with a random person next to you at the start of every lecture, and in your tute's.

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
I have no issue with having asian friends. I have quite a few.

However I've been told by people that went to UNSW that they are "cliquey" there (or in a uni environment); which is perfectly understandable (if I was an international student or had another 1st language, I'd prob do the same); but it just means that I won't really have as big a 'social pool' as I probably would at Usyd.

And I didn't suggest that international students are dirty at all. But it is a fact that some asian regions use squat toilets, so yes, a lot of asians do stand on toilets. The TAFE toilets always had pee all over them; and if it's okay with everyone else here; I'd like to go to a uni with clean toilets.

Re.: where I live - I live in Coogee. So UNSW is 10 mins by bus (straight up the road on the 370). By the time I got to the Arts faculty at Usyd (almost the full route of the 370 bus, and then a bit of a walk or another bus) then it'd basically be about 1 hr.

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
You're worried about the toilets? Come on.

Regardless of what uni you go to - even the prestigious Sydney uni - you will encounter a wide variety of toilets. At UNSW, we have the full range to choose from! There are newer toilets and older toilets. There are cleaner toilets and slightly less salubrious toilets. The only variety we dont offer are racially segregated toilets! Happen to walk into a gross-looking stall? No problem, try another! Hell, bring your own toilet seat if you like! Might get some funny looks though.

:rolleyes:

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
Yep, I am worried about the toilets. At TAFE I'd have to try about 5 stalls before finding a clean one. It's gross. If I'm paying $6k or whatever it is a year, I want clean toilets.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
You have some OCD-thing about clean toilets? If you only live 10 minutes away, that shouldn't matter - just grow a strong bladder.

EdmondDW

HSC
Then go to Usyd, dont come to UNSW...
UNSW does not need TAFE transfer student...
Am I racist? ...

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
best toilets are at the ritchie theatre and matthews building ground floor, those are by far my favourite.

mens room that is.

<_<

>_>

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Yep, I am worried about the toilets. At TAFE I'd have to try about 5 stalls before finding a clean one. It's gross. If I'm paying $6k or whatever it is a year, I want clean toilets.
In my opinion toilets aren't that big of an issue - mostly because I hardly use public toilets. During my six years at high school I only used the toilets on one occasion. I found if I went to the bathroom before I left for school and when I came home in the afternoon, there was no need to use the toilets at school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)