What is your first preference? (1 Viewer)

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Computer Science / Commerce at UNSW.
Computer science is a good/cool choice..

My first preference for this year in 2013? Well....technically its my 2nd preference because I know I wont get my first one. Its B Science (Physics) at a good university, I wont disclose which university but. Hah!..

*edits* I'd also want to say: I think I might or may have stuffed my uac app preferences for this year cuz I only put 2 preferences in and I had a bit of trouble putting the right codes. Shit! Lol. Maybe I am not bothered to apply at all this year.

However..I also have applied for university before in 2011..and my first preferencee wasss --> (in the main round) B Science @uts.. however I got a "B" and not a code "O" (Offer) -_-...lol..yah my atar was low for that.

Last edited:

uac.aplcnt

HSC
I wanted to share this as a preference I put as well because I ranted about this course in my other thread I made..

I also put "B Science @ UoNewcastle" in my 5th or 6th preference in 2011 and got a code "B"..meaning my qualification was not sufficient to get an offer (O) for that course.. The ATAR cut - off ended up being 72.3 for the main round or something...I got an ATAR below that..so I expected to not get an offer for that degree...Although I hoped to get in because my prediction / instincts told me the ATAR/UAI would fall to 64 or something...it ended up NOT falling. -__- LOL...oh wells....

J18134

HSC
Since the deadline closed last night its probably a good time to bump this up and see what others are doing

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
B Actuarial Studies/B Economics at UNSW !
*high five*

But i'm having second thoughts now as to whether i'd enjoy actuarial studies... So much that a part of me is hoping i don't get in lol

uac.aplcnt

HSC
B Law? Who would want to be around court for a long time while working....? lol

Even though i do not like my preferences this year, I really dont see much point in trying to get into a desired course of study for 2013. Even last year, I didn't even bother thinking about applying because I just did not want to. I dont know..my instincts tell me its just not right yet.

So I am totally fine not getting any offer now. MUHAHA... xp.

kenkap

HSC
*high five*

But i'm having second thoughts now as to whether i'd enjoy actuarial studies... So much that a part of me is hoping i don't get in lol
i was having similar thoughts but i was like "nah ill be alright..COME AT ME BRO!"

inJust

HSC
Probably a few reasons for this:
1. A lot of people can make it into law with a much lower ATAR than 99.7 with the AAA scholarship
2. Most people on 99.90 ATAR will go to UNSW because they get scientia there but not outstanding achievement at USyd
3. A lot of people doing commerce/law will head to UNSW because although law is better at USyd, commerce is much better at UNSW. Though obviously a lot of this depends on where you want to go after you finish your degree
4. Just random people like me that like UNSW more than USyd for various reasons

Reason 1 is probs the biggest one
Maybe 5 years ago, but I don't think so anymore...I thought they're like on par now?
But everything else is correct!

prazo94

HSC
bachelor of applied finance/bachelor of commerce(professional accounting) @ macq :)

Heydosaurus

HSC
Bachelor of Engineering (Telecommunications) at the University of Newcastle. UNSW for the same course was an option when I received my ATAR, but I want to stay local and I actually prefer Newcastle as a place to Sydney. Now to start packing the aeroguard...

RishBonjour

HSC
Maybe 5 years ago, but I don't think so anymore...I thought they're like on par now?
But everything else is correct!
Only a slight difference IMO. In world rankings , USYD law = 10th, UNSW law school = 30 (http://www.topuniversities.com/univ...ings/2012/subject-rankings/social-science/law)

But tbh, it doesn't matter, employers respect both so its up to your marks + extracurriculars I guess.

Also, some bos member commented a while back that UNSW law wasn't as prestigious because of the different ways people get into it - e.g. AAA (while USYD law is quite rigid)

Last edited:

inJust

HSC
Only a slight difference IMO. In world rankings , USYD law = 10th, UNSW law school = 30 (http://www.topuniversities.com/univ...ings/2012/subject-rankings/social-science/law)

But tbh, it doesn't matter, employers respect both so its up to your marks + extracurriculars I guess.

Also, some bos member commented a while back that UNSW law wasn't as prestigious because of the different ways people get into it - e.g. AAA (while USYD law is quite rigid)
But you do know that rankings is based moreso on research output? It has nothing to do with undergraduate study.
And prestige has nothing to do with teaching quality.

deswa1

HSC
But you do know that rankings is based moreso on research output? It has nothing to do with undergraduate study.
And prestige has nothing to do with teaching quality.
True rankings are based on research output. It does however have something to do with study- if the uni is on cutting-edge research, they can teach that to their students.

USyd in better in law in terms of prestige. I'm going to UNSW but I'll still admit that openly. You are correct that it doesn't have much to do with teaching BUT it does have an influence on jobs. UNSW and USyd however are both good law schools so you'd be fine either way. Going to UWS however would be much, much harder to get a job in the competitive law market

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)