What laptop should I get? HELP! (1 Viewer)

ladyy-nemo

DOWN ASS BITCH!
HSC
Hi, I need a new laptop for uni and general use. I'm thinking of getting the Macbook pro. However, the price is a turn off. Is it worth the price? Or should I get another laptop? Any suggestions? Thanks.

h3da

HSC
Hi, I need a new laptop for uni and general use. I'm thinking of getting the Macbook pro. However, the price is a turn off. Is it worth the price? Or should I get another laptop? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Msy is the place to go if you want cheap laptops.. MSY-The Name you can trust-More than 13 years in IT industry-Nationalwide branches serve you & always offer the best up today IT price
There's one open at auburn as well.. just go to the website and check out the notebook pricelist... and you shouldn't get a laptop if you are planning to use it everyday because it's not ideal.. desktop is more recommended because there's no way u will need a laptop for uni..

kagura

HSC
Lol, I doubt you'd need to bring a laptop to uni when you're doing the BBC course. If your degree is mainly graphics/visual design based, then perhaps it's worthwhile in getting one, but definitely not necessary.

@h3da: buy me a 30m ethernet cable at MSY please. ;)

h3da

HSC
Lol, I doubt you'd need to bring a laptop to uni when you're doing the BBC course. If your degree is mainly graphics/visual design based, then perhaps it's worthwhile in getting one, but definitely not necessary.

@h3da: buy me a 30m ethernet cable at MSY please. ;)
yeah give me money first phil then i give u la :D msy so far now.. i don't live close to msy anymore.. 50 minutes walk from my house ~~

ladyy-nemo

DOWN ASS BITCH!
HSC
Oh wow. I don't need a laptop? I thought I did. Would it not be more handy in lectures? I type faster than I write I reckon. Hmmm.. Thanks for the tip :) I'll check that site out.

manavji

HSC
N/A
Oh wow. I don't need a laptop? I thought I did. Would it not be more handy in lectures? I type faster than I write I reckon. Hmmm.. Thanks for the tip :) I'll check that site out.
On average, a lecture will be 1-2 hours, in which the lecturar will briefly run through couple of chapters worth... i dont think you'l get that much time to write down notes neway... lectures are mainly to sit down and understand what lecturar is saying.. then you can come home n make notes / study in your own time after understanding the basic concepts in the lecture.

So buying a laptop, especially for a BBC course is pretty much waste of money.

h3da

HSC
most lecturers just read word to word from the lecture slide which you print from the internet anyway lol

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Macbooks are really nice pieces of machinery.

But yeah, you won't need a laptop for uni. You can always hire one if you do from the library for free, there's computer labs everywhere, and lecture notes are printable.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Macbooks are really nice pieces of machinery.

But yeah, you won't need a laptop for uni. You can always hire one if you do from the library for free, there's computer labs everywhere, and lecture notes are printable.
you can hire laptops for free?

please tell me more

kagura

HSC
There's a free laptop hire service located at the front of the library. All you need is your student ID card, and you'll be given a laptop for a fair duration. Obviously you can't take the laptop home, and I'm not sure if you can't take it outside the library either, but it's still a nice service when all the library computers are occupied. ;)

Edit: damn, ambermorn beat me to it. :)

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
If you are dead set on getting a macbook pro, I would definitely say it's worth it.
It is fine as a stand alone machine, but if you're worried about compatibility issues, there are programs such as VMWare fusion that allow toy to run MacOSX and XP/Vista/7 simultaneously. I use it for those programs that are only available on windows lol. I say it's the best of both worlds.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I'm running a 2009 MacBook Pro and I love it. Haven't had any troubles with it comparing to my windows machines, but I do have to say that you don't need one unless you'll be doing audio editing in the class leading Mac native programs, same with film etc.

For general hard use, go a conventional laptop... For light use (word processing, Internet use, music and pictures go an ebook.

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
There's a free laptop hire service located at the front of the library. All you need is your student ID card, and you'll be given a laptop for a fair duration. Obviously you can't take the laptop home, and I'm not sure if you can't take it outside the library either, but it's still a nice service when all the library computers are occupied. ;)

Edit: damn, ambermorn beat me to it. :)
actually i think i did :p

NotOneLess

HSC
Laptops from the library can be a pain in the neck trying to reconnect to the internet (hey kinda rhymes in a lame way ala Shooter McGavin) every so often. The batteries run out too quickly for any solid work to be done (solved using power outlet). Plus they're known to experience the "Blue screen of Death".

Add this on top of the whole borrowing/returning procedure which involves logging your details and checking for damage physically and software-wise. Which can take a while if the laptop doesn't want to work properly in the first place.

You could always sign up for a School of Computing and Mathematics Account to access more computers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)