What positions in finance offer decent salaries for fewer hours than IB? (1 Viewer)

jonathan__

HSC
Well I've read the vault.com articles about IB analysts and their 13-hour days hidden from the light of day in their cubicles and the thought that ppl live like that actuali scared me. Ofcourse they may earn big bux but they have sacrificed their livelihood (if they had any to start off with..) which has prompted me to ask u guys wat positions in finance offer moderate salaries (low 100,000) for a 40-hour (at max.) week. I've heard funds management earn decent, though more modest, incomes compared to IB so would it fall into this category? Also, would a Masters in Finance be required for such positions? Cheerss...

Last edited:

turtleface

HSC
i think when you're in commerce, any occupation is potentially 100+ but none will let you get away with 40 hour weeks.

Are you talking about first year out? In that case I think if you are a trader and get a good bonus it will be 100+. but that will take you more way than 40 hours a week though. nobody will give you 100+ to come in 9-5 5 days a week

EDIT:
5-day week, 9-5 grad job on low 100k? There's no easy money in life...
agreed

i really need to speed up my typing...lol

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Look at some of the salary surveys... even accounting gets above $100k after a few years; so at least if you end up not liking the hours Finance demands, you can switch over to another similar field. :)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I tend to agree with turtleface ...

In accounting, to get 100k+ after a few yrs (I take that to mean 2-3), it's still farfetched to say you can get away with 9-5. Probably more like 9-8?

I know someone doing CA with a Big 4 in one of the audit areas (his 3rd year I think), and he says he gets off work around 8ish and still has to go home to study his CA. And he's not on 100k :(

roadcone

HSC
9-5, 100k + = very few firms..

mate im a cadet, being paid cadet salary and i barely get away with 40 hr weeks

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
9-5, 100k...yeah you'd have to be a very successful young entrepreneur with a groundbreakingly innovative new business. You wont get that from any firm, no matter how good you are

volition

arr.
HSC
Just out of curiosity, are there any places that offer 9-5 100k+ years down the track and not just straight out of uni? Say, once you've accumulated 10 years experience?

jonathan__

HSC
yeh i'm not implying $100k as a graduate's salary but after a few years of experience..

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
as an accountant at a Big4, you'd be looking at $100k+ after about 7-8 years

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
A lot of finance jobs could potentially do that in 10 years. Maybe not at the multinational corporations... but at your local finance firm (within Australia)... a fair bit.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
100k+ for 40 hour weeks is pretty impossible (unless you're a pimp, a drug tsar or a mafia don) - otherwise you work for your money. if you think 100k is moderate then you got a lot coming your way.

masters of finance means nothing besides that you were too much of a weirdo/dumbass to get a grad position and just wayyy too stupid to make honours.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
err..Master of Finance is generally taken by financial professionals who have had at least three years experience. It's like an MBA, taken by those going into senior management. You can't get into it by being dumb

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
blackfriday said:
100k+ for 40 hour weeks is pretty impossible (unless you're a pimp, a drug tsar or a mafia don) - otherwise you work for your money. if you think 100k is moderate then you got a lot coming your way.

masters of finance means nothing besides that you were too much of a weirdo/dumbass to get a grad position and just wayyy too stupid to make honours.
ummmmmmm and ur comment on the masters of finance is based on??????

a lot of ppl at my work recommend masters of finance... its pretty good from what I have heard... lots of ppl do it WHILST working because of the career opportunities it opens up

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
thats if you're a fresh grad and doing masters in a commerce discipline- but respect to those who arent of course.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
blackfriday said:
thats if you're a fresh grad and doing masters in a commerce discipline- but respect to those who arent of course.
Um... at my uni... you need honours to get into master of commerce (finance). To get into honours, you needed 80 average in your final year subjects in finance. 80 is an HD.

In other words, HD average in final year to get into honours, and then honours to get into masters.

Regardless of how a person gets into honours and then masters, they cant be that dumb.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
then masters must be actually meaningful at your uni and in that case i was wrong to generalise. at mine, masters is for those stupid people who talk shit in tutes and cant get a grad position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)