• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What positions in finance offer decent salaries for fewer hours than IB? (1 Viewer)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Yeah, but they are asking for an elite graduate. But the salary they offer isn't as spectacular, imo.

turtleface

HSC
i was reading the age the other day and they had an ad for a graduate accountant for $57,000. That was the highest I've ever seen for Accounting but it was for a commercial entity, not a firm.

CrashOveride

HSC
On the topic of IB hours and salary...what do people think about the impact on an individual's health? Surely being regularly sleep deprived for 2 or 2.5 years? (analyst) can't be good for the body. I suspect it only gets a little better at associate level. And before i hear "but people are out there doing it now", i am pointing to longer term effects (for which i have only read recently that studies have confirmed poor sleep leads to health problems long term).

pikachufkr

HSC
N/A
I've thought about this too!

Most of the bankers that I have met haven't looked that healthy at all. Plenty have been fat/scrawny. You get your odd IBer who looks like they just stepped off a football field though (dunno how they do it).

I don't know what is going to happen to my perfectly sculpted guns once I start proprietary trading...

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Yea I think it's more for people who aren't too rich and want to get into, say, a mil region quickly.

I think the rich kids out there opt less for IB... they might go there to impress ppl, but a few I've met don't seem to have the right mindset and they move out into other depts such as research quite quickly... even though they belong in the smarter and hard-working end of the populus.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
then masters must be actually meaningful at your uni and in that case i was wrong to generalise. at mine, masters is for those stupid people who talk shit in tutes and cant get a grad position.
um are you sure masters of finance is for "stupid people" at UNSW?

It doesn't appear to be top-commerce-school-in-aus style for UNSW to allow people who just talk well in their tutes to do masters...

volition

arr.
HSC
blackfriday said:
then masters must be actually meaningful at your uni and in that case i was wrong to generalise. at mine, masters is for those stupid people who talk shit in tutes and cant get a grad position.
so how does "not being smart enough to go and get a job" differ between UNSW and other unis then?? Just curious..

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
nope, the difference is what they do after they cant get a job. some people face up and do the smart - find a job somewhere else because any work experience is better than none. but for those too incompotent to do any of that...well they just stay in uni.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
think ur stereotyping a lot there...

sure there are some ppl who cant get a job and do postgrad to improve their chances... but ull find theres also a lot of ppl with jobs who do the postgrad stuff too...

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i would understand, for instance, anyone doing m.accounting at club mac because you can do it concurrently with your CA, and it wouldnt make sense not to do it. but otherwise, i really dont see the point at all.

overfloat

HSC
at UNSW a lot of people do masters of commerce straight after an engineering degree rather than a double degree because it cuts out the crap first year undergrad commerce subjects......

in my case, i didn't want to be a programmer...... i hate programming
the thought of spending even 1 year programming makes my stomach churn.. add to that the flooded job market = low salaries for veeeerrrrryyyyyy bad jobs

i just took infosys cos i hate(d) maths, while at the same time hate(d) essays

although there are some useful business modelling aspects to it

but generally..... people that take masters of commerce after doing a bachelor of commerce are as you describe......

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
In reply to the original post, other positions are trader, research analyst, structurer and quant analyst.

Minimum requirements for structurer and quant analyst is a very good pass degree, 1st class honours or a MSc or similar.

Last edited:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Trading and quant analysts sound like very interesting roles. Macq bank had some positions like that. I'd imagine high stress for traders, but good remuneration. But 1st class honours =/ Don't other skills preceed marks in those kind of roles?

turtleface

HSC
The reason they emphasise marks so much is marks give a reflection on how competent/hard working you are and how focused you are on the main objective of university. They hope people with high marks at uni translates to high achievers at work.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed.

A lot of things are probably important. For starters, experience in trading and being successful in generating returns would help. But it might be hard to assess you in those areas.

Or maybe it's just that the demand for grads is greater than the supply of students who would have had this trading experience and success.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
sikeveo said:
Trading and quant analysts sound like very interesting roles. Macq bank had some positions like that. I'd imagine high stress for traders, but good remuneration. But 1st class honours =/ Don't other skills preceed marks in those kind of roles?
It depends on what you are trading in. Stuff like FX and Equities isn't as heavy on the quant side.

Many of the complex OTC transactions require quants who:

- understand the mathematics of finance inside out
- can come up with new ideas/ use existing ideas to price new products.

This basically means having done some postgrad courses in financial maths, probability, etc, as well as strong research experience, ie, can use results from journals, use code from existing libraries, run simulations, calibrate models, etc, etc, in addition to all the other usual skills, like communication skills, etc. But the selection criteria will also depend on how much time is spent with the clients for these kind of customised products.

A lot of quants used to be maths/physics lecturers (most Economics/Finance-trained Finance lecturers don't have a sufficiently rigorous background to do these kind of jobs). So if you believe you're good enough to do Honours, do further research like MSc, PhD, or you want to be a researcher (research fellow) or a lecturer, it's certainly an interesting job to consider.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
Agreed.

A lot of things are probably important. For starters, experience in trading and being successful in generating returns would help. But it might be hard to assess you in those areas.

Or maybe it's just that the demand for grads is greater than the supply of students who would have had this trading experience and success.
It also depends on what you're trading in and the trading role you are taking on. eg. OTC markets. Also, market makers need to be tops in mental arithmetic.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
turtleface said:
The reason they emphasise marks so much is marks give a reflection on how competent/hard working you are and how focused you are on the main objective of university. They hope people with high marks at uni translates to high achievers at work.
As long as the job harnesses the areas where you excelled at. Which means the individual applying for the job that bests suits them, and recruiters doing the same.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Yeh ive been looking. One was either 1st class honours or HD degree =/ However others dont really specify although it's probably intrinsic to their selection criteria.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)